944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
Rich's LS powered 944 track car EmptyToday at 12:00 am by Raymond-P

» LEAKING TPC HYDROBOOST
Rich's LS powered 944 track car EmptyYesterday at 11:46 pm by Raymond-P

» Best engine uprights/plates
Rich's LS powered 944 track car EmptyYesterday at 11:09 pm by Raymond-P

» 944 Turbo TPC Radiator Install Help Needed
Rich's LS powered 944 track car EmptyYesterday at 10:59 pm by Raymond-P

» Fesler Saratoga Top
Rich's LS powered 944 track car EmptyYesterday at 4:44 pm by JW1970

» Rear coilover suspension setup
Rich's LS powered 944 track car EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 3:30 pm by ThomasJoseph315

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Rich's LS powered 944 track car EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

» LS 982 5speed project here
Rich's LS powered 944 track car EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 am by Raymond-P

» LT1 Spark Plug make and model
Rich's LS powered 944 track car EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm by Rob44

» 928 5-speed kit
Rich's LS powered 944 track car EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 pm by LS982

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Rich's LS powered 944 track car

+26
Rich L.
erioshi
pormgb
RS Technic
944convert
turbobob924
eclou
marc a
rooster
948inVA
Tehone
DJ.
RobotMachines
87-944S
8cylinder944
skywalker01
fliermike45
kevin924kevin
944-LT1
Big E
DVC
Lemming
Admin
Arthropraxis
expuppy
30 posters

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Rich's LS powered 944 track car Empty Rich's LS powered 944 track car

Post  Rich L. Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:52 pm

Howdy. Thought I'd introduce myself. I'm up in Seattle and just picked up a 944 cup race car built by Fordahl Motorsports. The thing is built well and handles great but suffers from the common problem of making tons of noise without really going very fast. My plan is to install a '98-'02 Camaro engine, sort out the rest of the car and then bump up the power with an LS2 or LS3 longblock.

I've been compiling a list of parts needed and making some of the initial decisions about suppliers and options. So far I'm planning to steer clear of RH, run power steering but no A/C. I want to avoid spacing or swapping the crossmember as the suspension in the car is dialed. My concern is some of the seemingly missing pieces that have been made by admin or xschop over the years but aren't necessarily available right now. I'll ask specific questions as they come up.

In the meantime, here are some pictures of my starting point.

Rich

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Rich's LS powered 944 track car Empty Re: Rich's LS powered 944 track car

Post  Rich L. Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:06 pm

homie needs to send a PM...
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:09 pm

and again, sorry for the spam.
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:57 pm

Tough to not use a spacer. I really didn't want to, Admin built my car and no matter what he tried, there just wasn't a way around it. At least on my car with the factory hood, etc...

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  expuppy Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:08 pm

Not sure how to get around the spacer issue and equally not sure the spacer is a big deal. From an engineering view, you are looking at adding 1/2 inch in the front which when you view it as the sine of a triangle ( rear axle center to front axle center being the bottom of a right triangle, you are creating a pretty tiny angle. you didnt describe your suspension, but if you have height adjustable coilovers in the front, you can get that half inch back. I have the spacers in my One Lap car and it handles just fine. I would be more concerned with the little bit of extra weight added by the LS. Move the battery to the back and get rid of the heavy bumper shocks cantilevered off the front and you are back to a 51/49 weight distribution with a half load of fuel in the stock tank. I have found that tire sizes and pressures are much more critical to getting around the corners fast. A big ass wing in the back would help too but hard to mount on our cars. My car in action can be seen at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Glad you are with the forum and welcome.

Joe
2011 One Lap of America Winner- VF

expuppy

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthropraxis Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:20 pm

I can close the hood using TPC uprights with a 1/4 inch drop and cutting the hood brace .
Arthropraxis
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:23 pm

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I understand that it might not work out and I've been watching Lemming's build-up thread as he's trying to avoid spacing the crossmember as well. Yes, I do have an adjustable height suspension with threaded collars up front that can move the lower spring perch. So I could also drop the hubs by extending the struts and perserve the hub, a-arm, rack relative positioning. This has the effect, however, of raising the front end of the body which will change the front roll center.

The other thing I could do is leave the strut length as is and re-drill the a-arm mounting point in the crossmember. This preserves the body height, roll center and a-arm angles, effectively dropping only the rack. A bump-steer kit could deal with this. But I don't like the idea of reduced ground clearance as this thing is already slammed. Not to mention moving the mounting point of a component as critical as the a-arm in an aluminum crossmember worries me.

A third alternative is to just screw it and cut a hole in the hood. I don't mind adding a scoop or bulge to the hood or even getting a glass fiber hood with a little extra space built-in. The remaining issue to deal with is the master cylinder clearance at the driver side head. Already an issue, this interference gets even worse without spacing off the crossmember. I see lots of ideas explored by you guys on this forum and I'm still weighing the options. Thoughts?

Congrats on your win, Joe!

Rich
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:29 pm

I build these cars for a living, I've tried everything to keep the stock hood and not use spacers. It's not possible, unless you move the TB or move everything back, and the are other issues that you'll run into. I say , just get over the concerns of the spacers, don't try to reinvent the wheel and build you a nice track car.

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.TexasPerformanceConcepts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemming Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:40 pm

My throttle body sits right where my big hood vent sits, so no problem at all!

Good luck with your build. My build was stalled due to one friggin part Mad that will finally be here tomorrow!
Lemming
Lemming

Back to top Go down

Post  DVC Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:47 am

Go see Squire's LS6 383 stroker in Bellevue.
DVC
DVC

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:39 pm

The engine's here!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  Big E Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:06 am

So what engine did you end up going with? I'd love to say I can recognize what it is just from the pic, but I can't.

Big E

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:40 pm

Big E wrote:So what engine did you end up going with?

It's a Camaro LS1 freshly rebuilt by a local shop. They did a custom cam, upgraded rods and new bearings, pistons, timing chain, etc. It came with a Camaro ECU dyno-tuned to a max torque of 413 ft-lbs at 4800 RPM and max power of 437 hp at the 6400 RPM rev limit.

I'm leaving some power on the table as the LS6 intake and heads could bump it up quite a bit. And an LS3 could make a lot more. I may even install cats to gain some environmental karma. With the stock transmission and half shafts, I figure 350 -ish to the wheels will be plenty.

Rich
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:36 pm

The old engine's out!

Things went pretty smoothly disconnecting it and dropping it out the bottom. Now I'll get to cleaning up the bay and beginning the modifications for the v8. Thanks to all of you guys putting up here what you know and learn so other can follow your footsteps.

Rich
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:33 am

Congrats on those numbers! Should be a monster!

944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  948 Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:19 pm

944-LT1 wrote:Congrats on those numbers! Should be a monster!
x2

This makes me want to sneak the LS1 out of my wife's 2002 Camaro SS....

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:23 am

Pedals are disconnected and the masters are removed. Firewall looks good, no cracks.

Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemming Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:41 am

Looking good. With respect to spacers, I'm going to install 1/8" spacers tonight, after running the car for a while I have notice that the oil pan is rubbing slightly on the cross member. I'm guessing the engine has "sagged" a bit with use.
Lemming
Lemming

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:58 pm

Lemming wrote:Looking good. With respect to spacers, I'm going to install 1/8" spacers tonight, after running the car for a while I have notice that the oil pan is rubbing slightly on the cross member. I'm guessing the engine has "sagged" a bit with use.

Oh bummer. You're running the RH engine mounts, right? The body to crossmember spacers aren't going to help you with oil pan to crossmember clearance. So are you talking about spacers between the engine mounts and crossmember or between the mounts and engine?

Rich
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemming Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:39 pm

Rich L. wrote:
Lemming wrote:Looking good. With respect to spacers, I'm going to install 1/8" spacers tonight, after running the car for a while I have notice that the oil pan is rubbing slightly on the cross member. I'm guessing the engine has "sagged" a bit with use.

Oh bummer. You're running the RH engine mounts, right? The body to crossmember spacers aren't going to help you with oil pan to crossmember clearance. So are you talking about spacers between the engine mounts and crossmember or between the mounts and engine?

Rich

Doh! Guess I'll be trimming the crossmember instead!
Lemming
Lemming

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:06 pm

I've decided to go with a floor-mounted pedal box. This alleviates clearance issues at the driver’s side head by moving the master cylinders off the firewall. With a friend’s help, I’ve fabricated a mounting plate that bolts through the floor and laterally into the door frame. It’s nice and solid. The pedal assembly is a Tilton 73-603 with remote reservoir Wilwood masters, a remote balance bar knob and a rotating throttle linkage.

This has been a lot of effort and takes a ton of fiddly little parts to make it work. But it solves a whole bunch of problems I was having including my driving position being too close to the dash. I’m still working on plumbing the hydraulics with a pressure switch for the brake lights, setting up the linkage to pull the Lokar throttle cable and fabricating a dead pedal. Meanwhile, the engine is sitting on the stand fully dressed and patiently waiting for the clutch throw to be ready for measurement.

Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Rich's LS powered 944 track car Empty pedals

Post  kevin924kevin Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:29 pm

Those pedals are really nice, i wonder if they have that without the gas pedal.
kevin924kevin
kevin924kevin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:58 pm

Yes they do. Although it might be hard to get it far enough forward for effective heal-toe with the stock throttle pedal.

Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemming Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:17 am

Love the tilton setup, I've been looking for a used one to save some $$$$. I too have the problem of being too far forward (vertically challenged) and would really like to move my seating position back.
Lemming
Lemming

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:54 am

One thing I've found is foot interference with one of the flap motors mounted on the driver's side of the hvac unit. I have the big stock stock box in the dash still and the lowest mounted flap motor is right where my toes wanted to be when running the Tilton throttle pedal. That's the servo motor that controls the floor flap (the lower adjuster on the hvac control panel) so I just pulled that motor off and cut one of its mounting points off the box. I only have the blower motor in there for the defroster and panel air just kinda comes out under the dash anyway because my cage runs right through the outer vent openings. Other than that, there's lots of room under the knee panel for moving the pedals rearward. I do still have the lower dash panel on there but I may cut it back some so I can see my feet.

Rich
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next