HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» 18x10" Enkei wheels
Yesterday at 9:59 pm by Sterling Doc

» Around the block
Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:46 am by Red944ls1

» RX7 Caliper Swap
Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:13 am by osx86ftw

» Cooling solutions please!
Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:15 pm by yamamtx

» Holley intake, vacuum pump and cross member spacer
Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:33 am by zeusrotty

» Sparkydog's Abnormal Build - 944 With L67 + Ford Stuff & CARB Legal
Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:42 pm by sparkydog

» LSA Supercharged 86 Porsche 944
Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:41 am by haroldk

» Coolant / header tank cap
Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:56 pm by Arthropraxis

» Cadillac ATS Brembo Front Brake Swap
Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:43 pm by superman22x

» 83 944 Front Brake Calipers Left and Right different?
Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:10 pm by mred2nice

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Rich's LS powered 944 track car

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Rich's LS powered 944 track car

Post  Rich L. on Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:13 am

Got Lift?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You can also see here the heat shielding I've done on the body for driver's side header. This is a product from DEI called Cryo2, adhesive backed and really easy to use. Hopefully it'll hold up.

Rich
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. on Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:16 pm

Today was 2 steps forward, 2 steps back.

I have the throttle cable stop and the dead pedal fabricated. You may recognize the cable stop from the stock 944 throttle body. Unfortunately, 36" was not a long enough throttle cable to reach down to the pedal box. Dur, should've thought of that.

My other problem a tee fittings to join the stock brake lines and the AN-3 lines to my masters. I think I need a 1/8 NPT brass brake tee fitting but can't find one. I see tons of 1/8 NPT tees for oil lines but these won't bottom out the flare nuts so they don't tighten. And there are brass brake tees for inverted flare but not the right thread. Anyone have a source?

Rich
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

T Fittings

Post  fliermike45 on Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:31 pm

Try Appletree Automotive

I got metric brake T's from them to T my stock lines and then used a ready made Napa line to convert from metric T to Willwood.

They may have pipe thread T's

fliermike45

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. on Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:36 pm

Oh, they're metric not pipe? What's the thread specification? Thanks.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. on Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:47 pm

Good site for parts. Thanks Mike. Is this the tee you used?

Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Metric T

Post  fliermike45 on Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:26 pm

Rich, that's the one.

fliermike45

Back to top Go down

Post  skywalker01 on Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:22 am

You may want to check these out - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
skywalker01

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. on Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:12 am

Thanks. Yeah, now that I know they're 10mm bubble flare a host of new options exist. Smile-
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemming on Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:19 pm

Rich,

Have you put your seat in to measure for fit with the tilton pedals? I am thinking about doing the same install, but am worried that I will not be able to move the seat back far enough to fit comfortably?
Lemming

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. on Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:35 am

Not yet. Excellent question and yes, I'm nervous about it. But a rough measurement shows I'll be set back 3-4 inches which ...should... be perfect. My brake fittings arrived today after a "train derailment" over the weekend, so I'm close to having the pedals in and ready for the driver seat to go back. I'll update soon with results. (fingers crossed...)
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:33 am

Will you also have to space the steering wheel out 3-4 in? I wonder if you'll be able to comfortably shift or will you have to be "reaching" for the shifter.

944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemming on Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:46 am

944-LT1 wrote:Will you also have to space the steering wheel out 3-4 in? I wonder if you'll be able to comfortably shift or will you have to be "reaching" for the shifter.

I've been looking at this and will plan to lower the steering column and use a deep-dish steering wheel to put it in the proper position. I don't think the shifter will be much of an issue, if it is, easy enough to put a small reward extender on it.
Lemming

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. on Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:29 pm

Okay, the driver's seat is back in and I love it! Being further back I was able to lower it one position on the side mounts which is much more comfortable for my legs and I won't bang my helmet on the cage anymore. The pedals are dead nuts on. I have just enough room for my right foot from the hvac box with the lower servo motor removed and my dead pedal is perfect. The brake pedal is exactly centered under the steering column.

The steering wheel is much better than before, higher and further away from me. I'm catching it right on the heel of my palm, maybe 1" too far. The shifter is a bit of a reach into 5th but I think some tinkering with it could move all the gears toward me a half inch which will be fine. I have 3 more clicks rearward on the seat runners so a little space to move it back to get in/out. And even all the way back the seat is 2" clear of the cage's cross and diagonal bars.

I'm 5' 7" with a 30" inseam. My 5' 9" buddy could not drive the car before because his knees were pressed against the bottom of the steering wheel. It remains to be seen if he can now, will make him climb in next time he comes by. Hope that helps.

Rich
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. on Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:13 am

the office

Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemming on Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:02 am

That's great news. Will you snap a pic of the rear of the seat in relation to the harness bar? Also can you measure from the very front bottom of the fire wall to the front of the tilton pedal set and post the measurement?

We appear be nearly similar in build, but I don't think I could reach the steering wheel with my seat pushed back any further that it already is. Of course, I'm not currently using the stock mounts and that may be the difference.
Lemming

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemming on Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:21 am

While I'm at it, want length throttle cable did you end up needing?
Lemming

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. on Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:41 pm

Sure, I can take pics tonight. The front if the pedal box is right at the front of the 3/8" thick aluminum plate I made which is right up against the two studs that mount the stock gas pedal. This is about 1/4" behind where the floor sheet metal bends upward at roughly a 45 degree angle. I used the Willwood remote master cylinders because they were the shortest and shaped the best for moving the box as far forward as possible. As it is, the 90 degree fittings in the masters clear the firewall by just a hair.

The wheel I have mounted is a Momo but the car came with an OMP and a rather big OMP hub adapter that's still on there. It may be pushing the wheel back toward me more than yours. I do hope tinkering with the shifter adjustment can move 5th toward me a bit, it's a stretch.

I used a 48" Lokar cable and cut 6" or 7" from it to give it a nice comfortable run. I mounted the 944 throttle body's cable stop to the side of the gas pedal stop on the firewall. The cable goes up and out the big master cylinder hole with the rest of the lines I've added. I have the nice aluminum Tilton bias adjuster but it didn't come with a mounting bracket. Honestly, I wish I'd saved some $$ and gotten the plastic one that comes with a mount. I need to get that setup and then the small matter of getting the engine running. I'm so eager to get this thing on track and see how it all feels.

Rich
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemming on Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:46 pm

I'm using the combination compact master from wilwood . Looks like the body on mine is 0.74 inches shorter, but the outlet comes directly out the back. It I attach a 90o outlet I should have at least as much room as you in the back.

Combo compact remote
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Compact remote (I'm assuming that this is what you are using)

Lemming

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. on Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:07 pm

"Wilwood Combination Remote Mount Master Cylinder"

And yeah, I used a 1/8" NPT to AN-3 90 fitting on them. Sounds like the same setup. I was going to cut-off those studs for the gas pedal but they ended up being perfectly positioned as a stop for fabricating the floor plate.

Rich
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. on Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:13 pm

Hey Tim, while we're at it... Do you have any detailed pictures of your hood scoop and hood pin installations. I'm starting to look at fitting my hood. Thanks.

Rich
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte on Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:58 pm

I've got the Aero latches on my car, I love em! Sleek look, can't lose the pins and it's really apparent from the drivers seat that they're unlatched, which will save you from a moment of stupidity that you'll never live down.

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemming on Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:04 pm

Rich L. wrote:Hey Tim, while we're at it... Do you have any detailed pictures of your hood scoop and hood pin installations. I'm starting to look at fitting my hood. Thanks.

Rich

See pics below. I just used regular pins but that is because I reused the fiberglass hood from my last car and it was already drilled for them. I can't find the website of the hood scoop, it is something like carbonatrix. Nothing fancy, it was actually installed on the hood for my supercharged 968 engine and ust happened to work well for the LS1 position.

Lemming

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. on Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:14 pm

Thanks Tim, very purposeful looking. I was just poking through your FrankyII/III build thread over on Rennlist. Good stuff.

And great suggestion, Docwyte, on the pins you can double-check from the driver's seat. I already have a couple such moments with my club. Losing the hood on the front straight would be an unfortunate addition...

Rich
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  8cylinder944 on Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:09 pm

build looks great. Im new to the forum and roaming as I have a chance to pick up my father in laws n/a 944. Wanted to turbo, but came across the v8 conversions and im hooked. I need to see some of these Seattle cars in person (Im in Auburn) or take a spin in one. I dont even have the car yet though, so Im way behind. I cant wait to start my project, these cars with LS engines seem like an amazing combo. Anyways, if you ever do a track day at Pacific raceways let me know. I would love to come watch as I live 3 minutes from it. Good luck on your build!

8cylinder944

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. on Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:53 pm

Sure thing. The test-n-tune series at Pacific Raceways started last weekend and they'll be out there again this Saturday. Unfortunately, I'm behind schedule and won't be. But someday soon, hopefully, I'll pm you.

Rich
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top