944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
whining ps pump ... EmptyToday at 12:47 am by sharkey

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
whining ps pump ... EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 1:01 am by Raymond-P

» power steering pump
whining ps pump ... EmptyThu Mar 14, 2024 10:28 pm by Rond948

» VATS Bypass/Delete
whining ps pump ... EmptyThu Mar 14, 2024 8:38 pm by Rond948

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
whining ps pump ... EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
whining ps pump ... EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
whining ps pump ... EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

» Crank no start no fuel pump prime
whining ps pump ... EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 9:07 pm by Rond948

» What coilover spring rates are you running with torsion bar removed?
whining ps pump ... EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 10:15 am by dcoutofstep

» 924 that has been modified already
whining ps pump ... EmptyWed Feb 28, 2024 12:17 am by Gutterboy

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

whining ps pump ...

+5
dsrracer
superman22x
spence
Jasonscottw
matt889
9 posters

Go down

whining ps pump ... Empty whining ps pump ...

Post  matt889 Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:11 pm

setup is power steering with a used camaro pump and mustang 2003 gt hydro booster and the stock porsche NA rack .... when i get to 1/4 from full on any side it whines loll i guess im looking for a bigger pump and if i put higher rpms it also does it .... could it be the lines that touch body ?

matt889

Back to top Go down

whining ps pump ... Empty Re: whining ps pump ...

Post  Jasonscottw Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:40 pm

I have the exact same set up, and exact same issue-
Not sure what you mean about lines touching body?

The consensus seems to be that a modified pump from Turn One would resolve the issue.
I gather that you can either send your pump off for rebuild/re-valving(?) or purchase one out right from them.

Also powerbrakeservice.com has a modified pump for sale as well. They seem to be the authority on hydroboost applications. I got all the hoses from them, and they (Matt) said to expect that issue with a stock LS pump combined w/ a Porsche rack-

I haven't followed up on either though- trying to find a cheaper fix-
Jasonscottw
Jasonscottw

Back to top Go down

Post  spence Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:54 am

You could try something like this...
http://media.wix.com/ugd/c799a6_d2df7ac86df24b03a32166b6919b2afb.docx?dn=upgrade%20saginaw%20pump.docx

Also a power steering pump from a 01-04 Jeep cherokee (v8) uses a high pressure and flow pump because it uses a hydraulic powered cooling fan. It has the same body as any saginaw tc pump. It also has two returns in the reservoir. Maybe it could be used...
spence
spence

Back to top Go down

Post  superman22x Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:04 pm

I had an issue where my oil supply to the pump was restricting too much, causing whine.

superman22x

Back to top Go down

Post  dsrracer Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:07 pm

I just finished my conversion. With the same configuration described I've had no noise for the first 250 miles. Not sure what might be different but I haven't had to buy a Turn One pump. I might, because I understand it uses less power and might lower power steering fluid temp but not yet.
dsrracer
dsrracer

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:34 pm

I initially used a stock LS1 pump but immediately had noise and boiling fluid. This with the Porsche steering rack but no hydraboost. Switched to a TurnOne pump and the temps are all good. I still get noise at high RPM but less.

Rich
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  gdopnt Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:47 pm

I have stock ls1 pump. I bought all my hydraboost parts from hydratech breaking, he supplied me with a valve that goes on the side of the pump. Drill the valve 1/8 he said. I have a cooler plumed in. I have had not one problem.

gdopnt

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasonscottw Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:19 pm

Any more info on the valve? What did you mean by "drill out"?
I can't get rid of the whining pump-

Thanks-
Jasonscottw
Jasonscottw

Back to top Go down

Post  matt889 Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:50 pm

Jasonscottw wrote:Any more info on the valve? What did you mean by "drill out"?
I can't get rid of the whining pump-

Thanks-
X2

matt889

Back to top Go down

Post  gdopnt Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:54 pm

The piece that i drilled out goes in the side of the pump that the hose connects to. The owner at hydratech can better explain that, it is drilled for fluid flow,  tell him what you have and he can explain I just did what he said. Are you using power steering fluid or trans fluid. I heard on this site that if the power steering fluid didn't work to use trans fluid. Are the hoses connected correctly????? What diagram did you use to route the lines?  Did you move the lines on the rack that came in contact with the motor when installed? we all have to move the hard lines on the rack they touch the motor and could be smashed into restriction. a cooler is a big help I put mine in the n/a duct below the running light it was cut out for this purpose. I'm not recommending you drill your valve that's just what I did. My power steering pump had 70k miles on it, I didn't buy new one for swap. My brakes are VERY GOOD compared to the factory cereal bowl, I barely touch the pedal for braking.

whining ps pump ... Bl_cov10

whining ps pump ... Blk_va10

gdopnt

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasonscottw Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:56 pm

Thanks!
I'll contact the company you mentioned- guess I'm still not getting specifically what you drilled out, but I'll contact them and keep researching. Sounds like you found a viable solution-

Pretty sure I have the lines run correctly, and yes, I dealt with the motor/line interference issues.
Powerbrakeservice.com supplied me with the hoses and hose routing spec-

I'm running PS fluid with a couple capfulls of ATF, specifically Dextron, to cut down on the foaming.
The Dextron eliminated 70% of the whine, which is interesting . . .

But I still feel like there is air in the system- I've vacuum bled, reverse vacuum bled, pressure bled, even used the tire bleeding trick- still feels off or on and noises
Jasonscottw
Jasonscottw

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasonscottw Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:58 pm

Oh yeah- I'm running a PS cooler, and located it in the same spot as you did Wink
Jasonscottw
Jasonscottw

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:23 am

The part gdopnt is referring to is a restrictor that screws into the pressure discharge port on the power steering pump. Sorta like this;

https://www.turnone-steering.com/collections/power-steering-fittings/products/an-6-flow-restrictor

In fact TurnOne even lists the Porsche 944 as a configurable option now when ordering the pump; used to have to call them directly.

https://www.turnone-steering.com/collections/power-steering-pumps/products/98-02-ls1-f-body-conversion-pump

gdopnt looks like he is using Ford Hydroboost with the Mustang master cylinder. I had the same setup on my car, the brake pedal is extremely sensitive. I let a few people drive my car and even warning them how sensitive the pedal is we still got whiplash on the first stop. This is because the bore on the Mustang master cylinder is 1" while the normal Porsche master cylinder is 3/4". Its displacing 25% more fluid than normal with the same amount of pedal travel.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  matty89 Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:53 am

i messaged the guys at info@hydratechbraking.com for more info and also the turnone site for there restrictor suggesting on my case ! thanks for ur inputs guys ! i hope this summer its going to run like a champ Smile

matty89

Back to top Go down