944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Fesler Saratoga Top
Intermittent fuel starvation EmptyToday at 12:16 am by Ironworker613

» 944 Turbo TPC Radiator Install Help Needed
Intermittent fuel starvation EmptyYesterday at 4:14 pm by SpeedRacer11

» Rear coilover suspension setup
Intermittent fuel starvation EmptyYesterday at 3:30 pm by ThomasJoseph315

» Best engine uprights/plates
Intermittent fuel starvation EmptyThu Apr 25, 2024 10:12 am by Nath1142

» LEAKING TPC HYDROBOOST
Intermittent fuel starvation EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:22 pm by lowform

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
Intermittent fuel starvation EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:12 pm by lowform

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Intermittent fuel starvation EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

» LS 982 5speed project here
Intermittent fuel starvation EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 am by Raymond-P

» LT1 Spark Plug make and model
Intermittent fuel starvation EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm by Rob44

» 928 5-speed kit
Intermittent fuel starvation EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 pm by LS982

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Intermittent fuel starvation

3 posters

Go down

Intermittent fuel starvation Empty Intermittent fuel starvation

Post  JohnG Tue May 31, 2022 1:33 pm

1987 944S LS1 track car.

I have been suffering what appears to be intermittent fuel starvation at the track. I have replaced fuel pump, fuel filters, fuel regulator, and fuel pump relay, but the problem continues. Problem seems to occur only at the track when temperatures are relatively high. Never had a problem driving to/from the track, when temperatures are more moderate. I am now suspecting vapor lock.

My latest trial solution has been to install hood louvers to try to lower peak under hood temperature, and to wrap the LS1 filter/regulator unit under the hood with insulation. I will see what happens when I head to the track again next week.

My questions:
Has anyone else had similar problems?
Has anyone installed hood louvers and found them effective to lower under hood temperatures?
Any other suggestions?

Thanks, John

JohnG

Back to top Go down

Intermittent fuel starvation Empty Re: Intermittent fuel starvation

Post  Rich L. Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:07 am

I never had this issue with mine. My fuel filter / pressure regulator is mounted in the back at the 944's stock filter location. It's a dead head system with a factory fuel rail, is yours? What did you do with your fuel tank vent system? If you just cap it, this generates a vacuum in the tank as you use fuel which can cause fuel starvation or even collapse the tank. I left the stock charcoal canister and purge valve, tied it all into the intake as close to factory as possible.

And yes, I vented my hood to help draw air through the radiators. Not sure if it helped under hood temps but it certainly helped water/oil temps. Key here is to locate the louvers forward of the shock towers to access the low pressure area above.

Rich
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Intermittent fuel starvation Empty Re: Intermittent fuel starvation

Post  MotoRider42HC Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:30 pm

My car severely overheated during a competition, the swap radiator just isn't good enough without major hood venting and some proper Spal fans. Cost me a $6000 motor to find that out. Evil or Very Mad

For the fuel issue: Is your fuel pump pushing enough GPM for the increased consumption by the LS? Is your regulator set at 45psi? Are your injectors big enough and not clogged? Are you using a proper recirculating regulator setup to keep the gas flowing and cool? Fuel issues absolutely suck, as there are dozens of potential causes. Also, the 944S fuel tank has a plastic "swirl tank" inside of it. That tank is not well secured, and could have broken or come loose over the years. I had to painstakingly make repairs to mine during my swap process, it was an absolute nightmare.
MotoRider42HC
MotoRider42HC

Back to top Go down