944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» 944 Turbo TPC Radiator Install Help Needed
Which Dipstick Tube & Dipstick To Buy? (Solved) EmptyToday at 4:14 pm by SpeedRacer11

» Rear coilover suspension setup
Which Dipstick Tube & Dipstick To Buy? (Solved) EmptyToday at 3:30 pm by ThomasJoseph315

» Best engine uprights/plates
Which Dipstick Tube & Dipstick To Buy? (Solved) EmptyYesterday at 10:12 am by Nath1142

» LEAKING TPC HYDROBOOST
Which Dipstick Tube & Dipstick To Buy? (Solved) EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:22 pm by lowform

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
Which Dipstick Tube & Dipstick To Buy? (Solved) EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:12 pm by lowform

» Fesler Saratoga Top
Which Dipstick Tube & Dipstick To Buy? (Solved) EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 7:28 pm by JW1970

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Which Dipstick Tube & Dipstick To Buy? (Solved) EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

» LS 982 5speed project here
Which Dipstick Tube & Dipstick To Buy? (Solved) EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 am by Raymond-P

» LT1 Spark Plug make and model
Which Dipstick Tube & Dipstick To Buy? (Solved) EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm by Rob44

» 928 5-speed kit
Which Dipstick Tube & Dipstick To Buy? (Solved) EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 pm by LS982

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Which Dipstick Tube & Dipstick To Buy? (Solved)

4 posters

Go down

Which Dipstick Tube & Dipstick To Buy? (Solved) Empty Which Dipstick Tube & Dipstick To Buy? (Solved)

Post  MotoRider42HC Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:11 pm

I am building the 5.3L L33 engine...

The standard dipstick tube for this does not fit the configuration for the 944.

Anyone have the correct part numbers for the dipstick tube and dipstick?
What about brackets, etc, bolts nuts etc, ???

How many quarts of oil am i supposed to put in this thing?

Anyone running an oil cooler, or is the aluminum block OK with dissipating heat into the coolant lines?

Thanks!!!!!

Update: Solved:
Use a 2000 Camaro dipstick tube and dipstick. Then use a small spacer on the block to move the tube away from the header bolts. Then bend the tube slightly to clear the hood. Be careful not to kink the tube!

Update2:
Still have no idea how many quarts of oil i need ro put in it, lol.

Update3:
YES, you need an oil cooler.

Last edited by MotoRider42HC on Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
MotoRider42HC
MotoRider42HC

Back to top Go down

Which Dipstick Tube & Dipstick To Buy? (Solved) Empty Re: Which Dipstick Tube & Dipstick To Buy? (Solved)

Post  matt889 Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:54 pm

MotoRider42HC wrote:I am building the 5.3L L33 engine...

The standard dipstick tube for this does not fit the configuration for the 944.

Anyone have the correct part numbers for the dipstick tube and dipstick?
What about brackets, etc, bolts nuts etc, ???

How many quarts of oil am i supposed to put in this thing?

Anyone running an oil cooler, or is the aluminum block OK with dissipating heat into the coolant lines?

Thanks!!!!!
i got one from GM for a camaro 2000 ? with the ls1 in it. Im running a 6L truck LQ4.

matt889

Back to top Go down

Which Dipstick Tube & Dipstick To Buy? (Solved) Empty Re: Which Dipstick Tube & Dipstick To Buy? (Solved)

Post  MotoRider42HC Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:01 pm

Awesome!

Do you have a part number for it ?

The local dealership isn't exactly cheap, lol, and AutoZone only has universal options.

Did you need any additional brackets or etc?

Do you have a picture of how its mounted to the engine?

Thanks!!!

Edit: Does this look like the correct shape?
rockauto . com/en/catalog/chevrolet,2000,camaro,5.7l+v8,1361450,engine,oil+dipstick+/+tube,5558
MotoRider42HC
MotoRider42HC

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymond-P Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:54 pm

Motorider...I have not installed mine yet but this is what I found at Summit in 2014 for $58.97.  It's supposed to fit all LS motors.

Which Dipstick Tube & Dipstick To Buy? (Solved) Lokar_13Which Dipstick Tube & Dipstick To Buy? (Solved) Lokar_12

Top half of the unit.                                            Bottom half of the unit.

This is flexible stainless unit that is 13 1/4" long from the top mounting bracket location to the bottom of the bottom fitting.

Hope this helps.
Raymond-P
Raymond-P

Back to top Go down

Post  MotoRider42HC Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:01 am

Haha, i was just looking at Lokar E-brakes, too! Thanks!!! I'll have to send Lokar some love here soon. ^_^
MotoRider42HC
MotoRider42HC

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:29 pm

I got the 2000 Camaro 5.7 L dipstick and dipstick tube from gm parts direct. And yes I run a RX-7 FC oil cooler in place of the 944 intercooler. This is crucial for track use, on the street I dunno.
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  MotoRider42HC Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:22 am

Rich L. wrote:I got the 2000 Camaro 5.7 L dipstick and dipstick tube from gm parts direct. And yes I run a RX-7 FC oil cooler in place of the 944 intercooler. This is crucial for track use, on the street I dunno.

Rich, do you have an iron block or aluminum block?

I'll be running a Rally race called the "100 Acre Wood"... do you think i'll have oil temp issues with my aluminum block 5.3L truck engine?

Thanks!!!
MotoRider42HC
MotoRider42HC

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:43 am

Yeah, aluminum block 5.7 and it took me a few tries to get enough oil cooling. I don't know the event but believe rallying is as hard or harder on a cooling system than road courses.
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  MotoRider42HC Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:57 am

Rich L. wrote:Yeah, aluminum block 5.7 and it took me a few tries to get enough oil cooling. I don't know the event but believe rallying is as hard or harder on a cooling system than road courses.

well crap... lol, that means my manifold has to come back off and i got to install an oil cooler and find a way to tee-in both my oil pressure sensors...

$$$$$$$$$

haha

thanks for the advice!!!
MotoRider42HC
MotoRider42HC

Back to top Go down

Post  MotoRider42HC Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:32 am

will this fit the TPC oil pan?
amazon . com/Earls-LS0012ERL-Engine-Cooler-Adapter/dp/B01JP2HF5Q
???
MotoRider42HC
MotoRider42HC

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:13 pm

Not positive but I think no.

I have TPC's oil line setup at the pan and the thermostat below. Nice thing is it has 3 spots for gauge sending units.

https://www.holley.com/products/plumbing_an_fittings_and_hose/cooling_systems/oil_thermostat/parts/501ERL

P.S. The link button above the editor next to youtube creates that clickable hot-link... Wink

Here's the diagram of my oil system.

Which Dipstick Tube & Dipstick To Buy? (Solved) Oil_th13
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  MotoRider42HC Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:37 pm

Wow that diagram makes me dizzy, haha, but i bet mine will look just as crazy when it is done.

Thanks for the help!!! I'll have to get pricing from TPC on their oil cooler adapter.

P.S.
Accounts less than 7 days old are not allowed to post links. So i won't be able to post a link anytime soon. Sorry.
MotoRider42HC
MotoRider42HC

Back to top Go down

Post  MotoRider42HC Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:15 pm

OK!  SO!  I bought the 2000 Camaro dipstick tube... but if i close my hood... it will crush the tube...

LOL!

I just want to cry into a box of thin mints...

:'(

P.S. LOKAR wants $70 for their dipstick!!! SEVENTY DOLLARS!!! WHAT!?!

https://www.amazon.com/Lokar-ED-5008-Flexible-Engine-Dipstick/dp/B004BSQMD6/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_2?keywords=Lokar+ED-5008&qid=1552353356&s=gateway&sr=8-2-fkmrnull

Which Dipstick Tube & Dipstick To Buy? (Solved) Img_2016
MotoRider42HC
MotoRider42HC

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:03 pm

No no, just give it a little bend forward at the head mounting bolt. No big deal, promise! But wait until you stick coils and plug wires on there too make sure you have lots of room for everything. Razz Razz
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  MotoRider42HC Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:29 pm

I have a brake line bender, would that work? LOL or probably kink it to death!!!

I'm not a mechanic, at all, yet i'm doing my first engine swap with a German car and an American motor...

i'm so screwed

lol
MotoRider42HC
MotoRider42HC

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymond-P Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:43 pm

Rich L. wrote:No no, just give it a little bend forward at the head mounting bolt. No big deal, promise! But wait until you stick coils and plug wires on there too make sure you have lots of room for everything. Razz Razz

You look like you're doing fine so far! Sounds like Rich L. has your solution.  Simple adjustment.  Great!

In your pic I see a lift and an engine hoist so I'm wondering if you dropped your LS in from the top.  I'm thinking about dropping the cross-member and going in from the bottom...at least that's how I justified my lift.  I'm using the TPC long tube headers, and with the limited engine bay clearance, it appears they have to be installed from the bottom anyway.

I need to do some research...what was your experience?
Raymond-P
Raymond-P

Back to top Go down

Post  MotoRider42HC Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:46 pm

We tried to put it in from the top... no go... not even close... so we had to pull the engine back out, set it under the car on wood blocks, then lower the car and then hoist it up. i was scared to death the blocks would slip and bye-bye oil pan... whew... so harrowing .. i'd link you the video, but it won't be uploaded until sometime tomorrow... youtube.com/powersports
MotoRider42HC
MotoRider42HC

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymond-P Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:23 pm

MotoRider42HC wrote:I have a brake line bender, would that work?  LOL or probably kink it to death!!!

I'm not a mechanic, at all, yet i'm doing my first engine swap with a German car and an American motor...

i'm so screwed

lol

Not sure your brake line bender has a mandrel big enough to fit the dipstick tube...they usually run 3/16" to 1/4" OD.  I know bigger pipe benders exist as I inherited a 3/8" OD bender from my father.  Perhaps your local auto parts store can hook you up with a loaner tool that's big enough.

Which Dipstick Tube & Dipstick To Buy? (Solved) Pipe_b10

In a pinch, I've used a large box end wrench to pin point the bending area and provide the needed leverage.  Not the best choice for any kind of serious radius as the tube will begin to flatten and there will be unsightly dents.
Raymond-P
Raymond-P

Back to top Go down

Post  MotoRider42HC Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:12 pm

Update: Solved:
Use a 2000 Camaro dipstick tube and dipstick. Then use a small spacer on the block to move the tube away from the header bolts. Then bend the tube slightly to clear the hood. Be careful not to kink the tube!

Update2:
Still have no idea how many quarts of oil i need to put in it, lol.

Update3:
YES, you need an oil cooler.
MotoRider42HC
MotoRider42HC

Back to top Go down

Post  matt889 Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:55 am

oil is about 5L +/- .5liters if i remember correct

matt889

Back to top Go down

Post  MotoRider42HC Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:06 am

what is a Liter ? lololol jk jk
so between 5 and 6 quarts...
thanks!!!
MotoRider42HC
MotoRider42HC

Back to top Go down