944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
Height issue on truck LQ4 conversion EmptyToday at 12:00 am by Raymond-P

» LEAKING TPC HYDROBOOST
Height issue on truck LQ4 conversion EmptyYesterday at 11:46 pm by Raymond-P

» Best engine uprights/plates
Height issue on truck LQ4 conversion EmptyYesterday at 11:09 pm by Raymond-P

» 944 Turbo TPC Radiator Install Help Needed
Height issue on truck LQ4 conversion EmptyYesterday at 10:59 pm by Raymond-P

» Fesler Saratoga Top
Height issue on truck LQ4 conversion EmptyYesterday at 4:44 pm by JW1970

» Rear coilover suspension setup
Height issue on truck LQ4 conversion EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 3:30 pm by ThomasJoseph315

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Height issue on truck LQ4 conversion EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

» LS 982 5speed project here
Height issue on truck LQ4 conversion EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 am by Raymond-P

» LT1 Spark Plug make and model
Height issue on truck LQ4 conversion EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm by Rob44

» 928 5-speed kit
Height issue on truck LQ4 conversion EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 pm by LS982

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Height issue on truck LQ4 conversion

+2
Vorsche944
Islander
6 posters

Go down

Height issue on truck LQ4 conversion Empty Height issue on truck LQ4 conversion

Post  Islander Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:42 pm

Hello everyone from Porsche hybrids board (not quite everyone hopefully)

I realize I will need the LS1 manifold or equivalent (ie LS6)
Has XSchop done the adjustment re moving the alternator to another position or
is it just more efficient to go with the F body attachments
My motor and accessories have roughly 3,ooo KM and are currently properly stored.
My accessories include an air conditioning unit that I would like to keep
I understand that the F body attachments require a different crank flywheel. Is this true
and will I require that F body flywheel (crank)

I will try to put some pictures on this site but am going painfully slowly due to various
excuses. Very interesting about the corvette rims. Will the adapters mentioned in another (the only other one)thread push the rims out too far.

Islander

http://inforest@telus.net

Back to top Go down

Height issue on truck LQ4 conversion Empty Re: Height issue on truck LQ4 conversion

Post  Vorsche944 Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:43 pm

I converted the B-Body corvette to the F-Body and needed to get all the brackets and a new Harmonic Balancer. You end up moving the AC unit, Alternator, PS pump. You will also need a F-Body Tensio pulley too. Pretty straight forward. I think you may have to get a different AC unit too.
Vorsche944
Vorsche944

http://www.944transformations.com

Back to top Go down

Height issue on truck LQ4 conversion Empty Simple solution

Post  xschop Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:23 pm

When you put on the LS1 intake, the Throttle body cam hits the truck water pump snout that exits upwards. So I got a new Vette water pump (110 bones) and discovered it sets the serpentine belt back 3/4" inch from all the Truck assessories, causing you to go buy Camaro/Corvette accessories.... However, I found a cheaper solution and the Vette pump gaskets are going to be copied 3/4" thicker in billet.....Problem solved. And That Vette alternator is not cheap, neither is the Power steering pump.
POPP
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Height issue on truck LQ4 conversion Empty Re: Height issue on truck LQ4 conversion

Post  Vorsche944 Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:08 pm

and where were you when I needed you. that is to simple and a heck of a lot cheaper than replacing all the brackets like I did. Live and learn
Vorsche944
Vorsche944

http://www.944transformations.com

Back to top Go down

Height issue on truck LQ4 conversion Empty Big Thanks

Post  xschop Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:42 pm

Thank Renegades for that kind of delay when the PHB took a hit. I'm catching up to all the mods tho.....
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  Islander Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:01 pm

Thanks for the input, however the alternator is still going to be an issue with height.
XSchop was working on a solution to that with a repositioned bracket. How is that going?

Islander

Back to top Go down

Height issue on truck LQ4 conversion Empty Alternator Solved

Post  xschop Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:52 am

I went to the Camaro/Vette junkyard and picked up the Alternator bracket this past weekend. I was going to machine a 1-off bracket to mount the Truck alternator using the Camaro bracket as a starting point because it fits perfectly. Long story short....3/4" of spacers in between the bracket and block and you are also done. You will have to drill and tap the upper-most drivers side of the block because it is not drilled from factory on the 5.3l Iron block. Or if you can't get your drill at a good 90* from the block because it's already in the bay like mine, just make a simple L-bracket from thick steel to attach to the closest tapped hole in front of the driver's engine mount.......
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  Islander Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:37 am

Thanks for the input XSchop, however, are you still using the power steering pump in stock position
or is this a delete. I will definitely be using the power steering pump on the 928.
Another two ways to deal with the water pump can be found on LS1tech(re adjustment of the
top outlet to clear the throttle body - I have the bigger drive by wire system and plan to use this
when the lower manifold is purchased)

Islander

Back to top Go down

Height issue on truck LQ4 conversion Empty thanks

Post  xschop Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:51 am

Hey no problem that's what a good board is for.
Can you find the link?
I'm not sure that you're talking a modded truck water pump or the Vette pump. Yes the upwards snout on the truck pump can be removed and notched 1/4" over away from the throttle cam, but not sure if it will fit properly when pressed back in due to welding warpage, so I just shelled out for the Vette pump which wasn't much more duckettes.

The above mod was a Power steering pump delete. However, I went the extra mile to figure the Truck PS into the equation since I was working all day on the car anyways.I modded the Truck PS bracket to put the TRUCK power steering pump in it's stock location and clear the LS throttle. It works, but the Serpentine Belt set-up causes you to put the Alternator over on the passenger's side. I finished the mic'ing last night for a simple custom bracket to do just that. I still need to think about the feasability of using the truck tensioner on the Vette pump with this configuration.

This bracket design will let the F-body bracket and Truck alternator (I used both for the mock-up myself) set right in the area of the 944 PS reservoir and clear the hood and frame rail below it by 1.75".
........The 106.75 mm measurement is where the F-body bracket will set in a reversed "L" config.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by xschop on Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Height issue on truck LQ4 conversion Empty issues

Post  xschop Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:41 am

If you put the alternator on the right side and clear the hood, the driver's side head, and the frame rail, it will hit the filler cap on the truck PS pump. So putting it right off the Passenger's head is the way to go. There is even more rear alternator clearance due to the extra 23mm backspacing of the head to face of block. then the serpentine belt has to be reconfigured since the Vette water pump snout now sticks forward, I think this is the best set-up. The tensioner will need to be relocated (blue line) just like this version although I was wondering if the crank and PS pump will have enough belt wraparound grab in this config.....

And if You use the TRUCK water pump, the snout gets in the way and you have to route the belt accordingly....

xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  Islander Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:54 am

Those pictures with the information on the f body bracket for remounting the alternator were helpful.
I have the 6.0L truck motor and looking closely at the pictures, my waterpump (where the top spout is)
more resembles the vette pump with top and front locations for the spout but in the trucks case, the top one is used. That is why I am thinking that someone else on the web drilled out his wp and you couldn't without a lot of hassle.

Islander

Back to top Go down

Height issue on truck LQ4 conversion Empty clarification

Post  Amille28 Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:29 am

has anyone tried this.

Just to clarify the method so that I am understanding it correctly. You are using the following system.
1. corvette water pump with 3/4'' gasket spacers to bring the pump out forward
2. camaro F body alternator bracket on the passenger side, but utilizing the truck alternator
3. truck PS unit
4. truck (4.8/5.3) harmonic balancer
5. a.c. compressor and belt/tensioner are truck and stay without modification

What is not really clear is if you move the alternator to the passenger side and using the vette water pump does this cause you to have to get a different belt tensionser (truck? camaro? vette?) and is the belt length changing from the change in dimensions and swapping things around?

I'm new to this and looking to do a 78' euro 928 LM7 retrofit. I have the iron block LM7.
Cheers

Amille28

Back to top Go down

Height issue on truck LQ4 conversion Empty clarification

Post  Tehone Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:08 am

I am in the process of using this configuration with a small twist. Instead of using the Corvette water pump I went with a 07-09 GM Gen IV water pump from a 6.2 truck if I remember. This water pump does not require any 3/4" spacers. Direct bolt on. Couldn't find my info and my desk top pc crashed and well you can understand where the info is/was but you can see the difference wher the water inlet tube is at compared to the truck w/p.

I have a 5.3 iron block headed home to a 944. All brackets from the truck is used except the altenator bracket and this is where Xschop comes in.

The main aluminum bracket is one of Xschop designs with his fabrication on the brackets as well. As he has gone forth with this design the idler pulley was able to be dismissed and I have installed a 725K6 belt.

I did have a issue with the altenator hitting the valve cover and not aligning with the other pulleys. This was due to the altenator (F- body) bracket was trimmed 3/4". I needed the truck bracket he had for this set-up but adding a 3/4" spacer brought all back in alignment.

suburban engine water pump/truck intake
07-09 GM Gen IV water pump, have not installed the LS-1 intake but discussing with Xschop the cable cam should clear. I did not stay with the Drive by wire.
Xschop majic ...., power steering pump is the 944 pump

Last edited by Tehone on Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : no spacers required)

Tehone

Back to top Go down

Height issue on truck LQ4 conversion Empty 928 PS Pump

Post  Amille28 Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:56 pm

Is the 928 PS pump compatible with xchop's bracket?. If you are using the 944 power steering pump will it work with the 928 lines and are the pressures/flows compatible?

Thanks!

Amille28

Back to top Go down

Post  erioshi Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:19 pm

Any updates? How does hood clearance work out with all of this? And is there a simple, proven recipe yet?

I finally cleared out two old race engines and am ready to begin the swap on my 928. Where I'm located an L33 is about 2,000 less than a comparable LS1 with all the accessories. It jumps to about $2,500 when I look at iron block variants. That difference in cost is large enough to justify sorting all of this out. Right now there are a few good L33s available locally, and I'd like to grab one.

If we can sort out a recipe for the Gen III truck stuff, I'll do a detailed thread with pictures and part numbers covering a step by step process to have a drop-in ready engine.

Oh, with Xchop's mounts would there be room to turn the intake 180 degrees and have it point towards the windshield? Would that help?

Snow is now on the ground, and I want to get this swap moving!
erioshi
erioshi

Back to top Go down

Post  erioshi Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:33 pm

OK, sanity returning, lol. It looks like reversing the intake manifold is a no-go.

It just seems like with all the different LSx versions (and other GM engines) floating around, there should be a fairly straight forward way to handle the accessories. What about GTO accessory routing? It looks to be fairly compact.
erioshi
erioshi

Back to top Go down