HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» New convert under way
Today at 1:30 pm by kevin924kevin

» Drive by Wire Throttle Pedal Install on 1987 NA 944????
Today at 1:27 pm by kevin924kevin

» Project Purge: LS1 + Conversion Parts FS
Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:16 am by bajabluejay

» Problem with Dual Remote Vacuum Boosters
Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:35 am by johntorg

» 1987 944 Turbo --> LS
Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:39 am by Hotrodz of Dallas

» Iron vs Aluminum LS? discuss...
Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:27 am by Hotrodz of Dallas

» For sale $150 Griffin for LS1 LS Radiator swap
Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:34 pm by matt889

» Rebuilt engine threw three rods
Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:45 pm by jpkinerk

» 1984 Gen IV 5.3 Swap
Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:54 am by superman22x

» Aluminum 5.3 swap
Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:59 pm by turbobob924

December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Quick help requested: which dipstick tube? What is the correct oil level?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Quick help requested: which dipstick tube? What is the correct oil level?

Post  ausgeflippt951 on Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:45 pm

Hi guys -- I'm in a mad dash to finish my car and could use some advice.

I have a TPC oil pan (one of the new ones with the "wings" on the sump) and I am trying to ascertain the ideal oil level for the engine. In addition to the pan, I have a dual oil cooler setup + thermostat, so I am fully expecting my total amount of oil to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 qts.

In discussing things with TPC, it was recommended by the pan builder to use a dipstick tube from a '98-2002 Camaro. I need to purchase a new dipstick tube (I only have a TBSS tube + stick, which was intended to insert into the pan rather than the block) and I was wondering: how can I be certain that the stock "full" mark on the dipstick is the correct one?

This car will be raced, so I can't simply come up with something and say, "good enough." How do we know for certain this is the correct oil level? I imagine that what matters more is the distance the oil sits from the windage tray (or oil pan mating surface -- some reference point on the block) rather than anything else.

Thoughts? Let me know if I'm not making sense. This is very bizarre; I've done copious searching and I'm surprised by the number of people who are quite nonplussed about this. Why -- is there something I'm missing?

ausgeflippt951

Back to top Go down

Re: Quick help requested: which dipstick tube? What is the correct oil level?

Post  FrostedFlakeJake on Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:10 pm

My plan was to ask Kent what the oil pan capacity is, fill the pan to that amount + cooler(s), see what it reads on the dipstick after running, mark that position on the dipstick as the new "full"

FrostedFlakeJake

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. on Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:34 pm

I have the block, dipstick and tube from a Camaro. The tube mounts in the block so oil level is measured relative to the crank. Capacity doesn't end up mattering.

Rich
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  ausgeflippt951 on Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:21 pm

Agreed, thanks guys.

I'm beginning to wonder if I can just make my TBSS dipstick work, at least for now. From the research I've found, it seems that these motors don't really need oil any higher than 1/2" below the windage tray. So my plan is to fill the pan to this height and measure. Then once the pan is installed, measure this level on the dipstick before running the engine.

I've also found discussion around there being a correlation between oil pressure and oil level -- oil too low will result in low oil pressure. My concern is that once I'm able to register low oil pressure, it could be too late?
ausgeflippt951

Back to top Go down

Post  racertomtom on Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:39 pm

Certain modifications affect the oil level of a running engine. These include high volume oil pumps where oil may pump through the engine before it can run back to the sump (pan). Remote oil filters where extra line volume requires more oil. Oil coolers along with the cooler feed lines also require more volume. The trick is to have enough oil to ensure that the oil pick up remains covered with oil at all times and under all conditions while keeping the oil level out of the crankshaft at an idle to avoid aeration of the oil. This is exactly why we have high capacity oil pans.

You have compounded the issue by adding an oil cooler thermostat which creates two different operating oil levels, depending on whether the thermostat is open or closed.

racertomtom

Back to top Go down

Post  ausgeflippt951 on Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:18 am

Great points. So what is the recommendation?

I ordered a new Camaro dipstick; it will supposedly arrive today. Since the pan is off, I'll check where the dipstick inserts and see where this level is relative to the windage tray.
ausgeflippt951

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte on Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:33 am

I fill mine to the middle of the hash mark between "add" and "full". That's full on my motor/pan. Anything more and it's overfilled...

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  ausgeflippt951 on Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:01 am

Just following up, for everyone's benefit.  

Wound up fitting an LS1 Camaro dipstick to the engine.  Attached are a couple pictures showing where the range is: looks like the "working range" is ~3/8" below the primary windage tray (i.e., not the windage tray in the oil pan).  

You can *just* see the arrow near the windage tray in the second picture, representing the top of the oil range.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
ausgeflippt951

Back to top Go down

Post  FrostedFlakeJake on Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:29 pm

Collin,

You've been running this for a while, correct? Where do you fill oil in comparison to the arrow? If you remember we have the same engine and oil pan and I was curious as to your success. I just ordered the same camaro tube and dipstick.

FrostedFlakeJake

Back to top Go down

Post  matt889 on Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:43 am

What is the final count? A camaro dip stick with tube is the good part or à moded truck dipstick? Seem l'île 6.5-7Litres of oïl is the right mark?

matt889

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top