944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Fesler Saratoga Top
IFC Widebody Kit - WARNING!  Parental discretion advised EmptyToday at 12:16 am by Ironworker613

» 944 Turbo TPC Radiator Install Help Needed
IFC Widebody Kit - WARNING!  Parental discretion advised EmptyYesterday at 4:14 pm by SpeedRacer11

» Rear coilover suspension setup
IFC Widebody Kit - WARNING!  Parental discretion advised EmptyYesterday at 3:30 pm by ThomasJoseph315

» Best engine uprights/plates
IFC Widebody Kit - WARNING!  Parental discretion advised EmptyThu Apr 25, 2024 10:12 am by Nath1142

» LEAKING TPC HYDROBOOST
IFC Widebody Kit - WARNING!  Parental discretion advised EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:22 pm by lowform

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
IFC Widebody Kit - WARNING!  Parental discretion advised EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:12 pm by lowform

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
IFC Widebody Kit - WARNING!  Parental discretion advised EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

» LS 982 5speed project here
IFC Widebody Kit - WARNING!  Parental discretion advised EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 am by Raymond-P

» LT1 Spark Plug make and model
IFC Widebody Kit - WARNING!  Parental discretion advised EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm by Rob44

» 928 5-speed kit
IFC Widebody Kit - WARNING!  Parental discretion advised EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 pm by LS982

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

IFC Widebody Kit - WARNING! Parental discretion advised

+16
968gene
87-944S
RobotMachines
msmoorenburg
xschop
v8carreragts
ffmedic
turbobob924
944v8inDFW
Dawgz83948
Admin
gt1scca
Tetzuoe
m73m95
944-LT1
skywalker01
20 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

IFC Widebody Kit - WARNING!  Parental discretion advised Empty IFC Widebody Kit - WARNING! Parental discretion advised

Post  skywalker01 Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:57 pm

Started work on installing the widebody kit. Marked off 2 inches from the engine bay
and 1 inch from the nose and door.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Then I took the grinder to it!! OH THE HUMANITY!!!!!

It brought a tear to my eye . . . .

skywalker01
skywalker01

Back to top Go down

IFC Widebody Kit - WARNING!  Parental discretion advised Empty Re: IFC Widebody Kit - WARNING! Parental discretion advised

Post  944-LT1 Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:44 pm

Wait.....what? I thought they were bolt on like mine?!?!

Im confused Laughing

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

IFC Widebody Kit - WARNING!  Parental discretion advised Empty Re: IFC Widebody Kit - WARNING! Parental discretion advised

Post  skywalker01 Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:52 pm

No - these are different. These are bonded to the OEM fenders - sorta scary!!
skywalker01
skywalker01

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:02 pm

YIKES!!!! I had to do that for the rear quarters.

so........whatcha using fer glue? I used fiberglass resin jelly. You know the green stuff? I roughed up the surfaces to be bonded and then screwed in selftapping "zip" screws every 1" overnight. Same method? Interesting thread!!!

944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  m73m95 Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:29 pm

OMG!!

You have some serious balls man. That makes me cringe.

You should have found a parts car to rip the fender off of.... not the original ones!!

m73m95

Back to top Go down

Post  skywalker01 Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:01 am

944-LT1 wrote:YIKES!!!! I had to do that for the rear quarters.

so........whatcha using fer glue? I used fiberglass resin jelly. You know the green stuff? I roughed up the surfaces to be bonded and then screwed in selftapping "zip" screws every 1" overnight. Same method? Interesting thread!!!

I am not looking forward to doing the rear end! Did you get the tubs to go with the rear flares? How did you estimate the cut to put those in? I'm planning on using 3M 8115 Automix Panel Bonding Adhesive. From what I've been reading on the Corvette forums, this is the stuff to use when doing this sort of stuff. Going to pick up 2 tubes - I'm hoping the supply store will let me rent/borrow the gun (I hear it's super expensive)
skywalker01
skywalker01

Back to top Go down

Post  skywalker01 Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:12 am

m73m95 wrote:OMG!!

You have some serious balls man. That makes me cringe.

You should have found a parts car to rip the fender off of.... not the original ones!!

Yeah - I had to take a deep breath before I made the first cut! But it was the same feeling I had when yanked the harness out when I first started 'the journey'. In order to make an omelette you gotta break some eggs ...... sometimes catchy phrases still don't help you feel any better.....
skywalker01
skywalker01

Back to top Go down

Post  Tetzuoe Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:41 am

thats gonna give me nightmares
Tetzuoe
Tetzuoe

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:29 pm

Im sure its gonna turn out great though. You did all that neon work so its not like youre fresh off the boat. When I did my rears, I didnt have any instructions (gtracing) so I followed a picture of a guy doing a 911 flare job. Laughing

For the rear tubs I just used a foot width of mcmaster carr plastic, bonded it to the OE rear tubs with plastic rivets and then to the fiberglass with a strip of rubber seal. Nothing special but I wanted it to be removable.

Still havent extended the front tubs though. Embarassed They are 2" short of meeting the fenders. I guess I will just cut them down the center and put a 2" strip of plastic in and plastic weld them together? pale

Take lots of pictures!!!

944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  m73m95 Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:20 pm

Keep us posted on the progress! I'm sure it'll look great.

The pictures made my pass out for a bit. I had no idea there were widebody kits like this. I thought the "kit" was just a new fiberglass fender you bolted on in place of the old one.

The 3rd pic STILL makes my stomach hurt. You are FAR braver than I!

m73m95

Back to top Go down

Post  skywalker01 Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:03 pm

944-LT1 wrote:Im sure its gonna turn out great though. You did all that neon work so its not like youre fresh off the boat. When I did my rears, I didnt have any instructions (gtracing) so I followed a picture of a guy doing a 911 flare job. Laughing

For the rear tubs I just used a foot width of mcmaster carr plastic, bonded it to the OE rear tubs with plastic rivets and then to the fiberglass with a strip of rubber seal. Nothing special but I wanted it to be removable.

Still havent extended the front tubs though. Embarassed They are 2" short of meeting the fenders. I guess I will just cut them down the center and put a 2" strip of plastic in and plastic weld them together? pale

Take lots of pictures!!!

Rest assured! I will be documenting all progress - as for gt-racing, I am not happy with the hatch I got from them (lack of instructions - mounting points), so I will probably be replacing that with an IFC Racing 'European-Style' hatch (Looks much nicer!!). Thanks for the props on the ricer - I will definitely be calling on skills gained from that effort to complete this. BTW - the adhesive that is recommended for this sort of work is this. Just picked it up today, and got a great deal on the gun - only $40 bucks! It pays to develop a rapport with your autobody supply people - show them what you are doing - they may give you significant discounts!!

skywalker01
skywalker01

Back to top Go down

Post  skywalker01 Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:12 pm

m73m95 wrote:Keep us posted on the progress! I'm sure it'll look great.

The pictures made my pass out for a bit. I had no idea there were widebody kits like this. I thought the "kit" was just a new fiberglass fender you bolted on in place of the old one.

The 3rd pic STILL makes my stomach hurt. You are FAR braver than I!

Thanks for the support! I guess there are many iterations of 944 widebody kits. Since I will be adding tubs, I guess there is a certain amount of cutting that needs to be done. Believe me! Making that first cut was one of the hardest things that I have done, but hey that's what conversions are all about!
skywalker01
skywalker01

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:38 pm

A 2-part jumbo sized epoxy eh? I believe thats whats used to put the 16 piece corvette front clip together. Shocked

944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  gt1scca Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:02 pm

[I used the same epoxy on an L88 scoop...May still have the gun.
It was free, BTW...but @ the time, the 3M epoxy was new. Sort of a promotion thing, I guess
through SEM Products...]

Hey Pat...
She's gonna look wicked!
You should DOMINATE the Castrol Showdown this time!
Twisted Evil

gt1scca

Back to top Go down

Post  skywalker01 Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:47 pm

Before and after - much depth!!

skywalker01
skywalker01

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:01 pm

More pictures please, and work faster. I want to see it all! Smile Smile Smile

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.TexasPerformanceConcepts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  skywalker01 Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:32 pm

Ask and ye shall receive . . . . If you get the widebody front spoiler, you'll need to test fit everything.

Probably goes without saying, but grind down all surfaces prior to applying adhesive

Can't use enough glue - probably pays to overdo it here....

Same with screws - the more you use the better the panel will stick to the body
skywalker01
skywalker01

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:41 pm

WOW, looks good.
You really need some of those headlight bucket things. Cool

I can't wait for more pics and info, I want to do this to my car so bad it's not even funny. I have to work on the rear end conversion first though.

Grind on man...[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.TexasPerformanceConcepts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  m73m95 Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:09 pm

So with this widebody kit, does it mean the fenders will now stick up above the hood 1/8"? (since your gluing on top of the old fenders)

It does look very nice with everything glued on.... can't wait for paint Cool

Did i miss where you got the kit? (link?)

m73m95

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawgz83948 Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:12 pm

m73m95 wrote:So with this widebody kit, does it mean the fenders will now stick up above the hood 1/8"? (since your gluing on top of the old fenders)

Pretty sure thats where MR. Bondo comes into play. Smooth the transition.
Dawgz83948
Dawgz83948

Back to top Go down

Post  skywalker01 Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:18 pm

I got the kit from allporscheracing.com. As for the flares sticking above the hoodline, I think I can blend the flare into the body - it's going to be interesting. Mike, the maker of the flares is suggesting installing UNDER the existing fenders. I didn't quite understand the reasoning, so I am not following the 'typical' install.
skywalker01
skywalker01

Back to top Go down

Post  skywalker01 Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:19 pm

Dawgz83948 wrote:
m73m95 wrote:So with this widebody kit, does it mean the fenders will now stick up above the hood 1/8"? (since your gluing on top of the old fenders)

Pretty sure thats where MR. Bondo comes into play. Smooth the transition.

Yeah, there's some sort of filler that is spcifically used for this type of work.
skywalker01
skywalker01

Back to top Go down

Post  m73m95 Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:35 pm

Well, I can now see that if you had installed the new fenders under the old ones, then you could blend the bondo down, onto the new fenders, rather than up, onto the already painted hood...

m73m95

Back to top Go down

Post  skywalker01 Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:38 pm

I think it would be harder (and use more filler), to bond and level the panel if it was installed
underneath the stock fender - just my thoughts......
skywalker01
skywalker01

Back to top Go down

Post  m73m95 Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:47 pm

well, I have already admitted that I would not have the guts to cut my fenders like that....

Whatever you say goes!! cheers

I can't wait to see how it looks when you're done.

m73m95

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next