944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» 944 Turbo TPC Radiator Install Help Needed
Some have thought it, no one's done it...Northstar - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 10:41 pm by MotoRider42HC

» Best engine uprights/plates
Some have thought it, no one's done it...Northstar - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 10:12 am by Nath1142

» LEAKING TPC HYDROBOOST
Some have thought it, no one's done it...Northstar - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:22 pm by lowform

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
Some have thought it, no one's done it...Northstar - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:12 pm by lowform

» Fesler Saratoga Top
Some have thought it, no one's done it...Northstar - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 7:28 pm by JW1970

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Some have thought it, no one's done it...Northstar - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

» LS 982 5speed project here
Some have thought it, no one's done it...Northstar - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 am by Raymond-P

» LT1 Spark Plug make and model
Some have thought it, no one's done it...Northstar - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm by Rob44

» 928 5-speed kit
Some have thought it, no one's done it...Northstar - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 pm by LS982

» Slave Cylinder Spacing from Clutch Fingers
Some have thought it, no one's done it...Northstar - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 1:54 am by lowform

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Some have thought it, no one's done it...Northstar

+6
944-LT1
evil
xschop
v8carreragts
Arthropraxis
v2rocket
10 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Some have thought it, no one's done it...Northstar - Page 2 Empty Re: Some have thought it, no one's done it...Northstar

Post  944-LT1 Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:36 pm

So are the Northstar head bolt bores drilled into the coolant passages as well, or corrosion occurs after the headgasket blows and leaks into them?

A theory suggests yes, the headgaskets blow and the coolant finds its way (floods) into the bolt bores where it undergoes galvanic corrosion.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Some have thought it, no one's done it...Northstar - Page 2 Empty Re: Some have thought it, no one's done it...Northstar

Post  v2rocket Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:54 pm

yes it uses the BOP 60* V6 pattern with a slight modification for one bolt hole and a welded pocket for the starter (mounted under the intake mani)

v2rocket

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:23 pm

That S10 BH is not a good choice for the Northstar 944 swap because of the trans input diameter. The guys on the old board were making some fandangled 2 piece adapter to fit those BH's (trans input dia.) onto the V8's. I'm assuming you are talking about the Northstar swap to the RX7 using that S10 BH?

Also another unknown is the crank pilot bearing to block/BH interface measurement on the Northstar.....
Get that measurement and one of these BH's can be adapted to the Nortstar with a 1-piece adapter....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:57 pm

Since the C5 Bellhousings are getting scarce and cost $175 or more I'm going to build adapter plates with concentric throwout bearings for all the GM motors.....Especially my favorite....The V8.......Same adapter plate will fit these V8 bells as well Cool.....FRH

xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  evil Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:16 am

chrfab.com sells a bellhousing modified aready, you would just need the adaptor and pilot bearing. They sell loads of other things too.

evil

Back to top Go down

Post  v2rocket Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:33 pm

bit of an update..

went to the boneyard again yesterday with the all-mighty tape measure...

northstar is
26.5" wide ish
24" long ish (waterpump solution would be tricky with a FWD motor)
height i dont recall

but it will definitely fit widthwise, it is shorter than an LS motor so it could potentially have some height wiggle room since it doesnt worry about the hood clearance. i dont imagine its any taller than an LS though.

additionally, chrfab now makes a custom cast-aluminum bellhousing for N* for manual trans with a plate on the back for use in...adapting to various manual trannies. seems perfect for a 944 torque tube to me. and the chrfab BH is about the same cost as the quicktime 944/C5 BH.

v2rocket

Back to top Go down

Post  stu wright Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:55 pm

i myself have thought of using the northstar engine and transaxle combo in a mid engine combo in a 944 parts car that i have .readily available in the boneyards.that might be one of my future creations.a mid engine 944 would be cool.
stu wright
stu wright

Back to top Go down

Post  v2rocket Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:27 am

a mid engine 944 would certainly be interesting...there's a bunch of room back there, and then you could have almost the same amount of storage space under the hood!

v2rocket

Back to top Go down

Post  v8carreragts Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:15 pm

How about this:
v8carreragts
v8carreragts

Back to top Go down

Post  stu wright Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:45 pm

very interesting and very feasible . i wonder how it would work with a mendeola perf transaxle such as the md5 which has a wide range of gear ratio choices and is designed for mid engine mounting.i was reading somewhere about some road racers were using it to road race with.and there was talk about development of a 6 speed mendeola .i know they are famous for mid engine lspowered sand rails but also are used by some in road race applications.i came across a web page that was talking about it .they are kinda pricy new but i have seen some on the web used a little cheaper than a new unit.look at mendeola motorsports web site and you will see a car atempting a land speed record with a mendeola transaxle geared to go over 200mph

Last edited by stuart f. wright on Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
stu wright
stu wright

Back to top Go down

Post  v2rocket Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:54 pm

holy f*ck

thats near me too

v2rocket

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:09 pm

Why not get rid of the Porsche Transaxle as well....GM-F40 will mate to the LS4.... Fiero V8 swapper has done one already here locally....

Actually it's probably going to be a Boxster swap combo once it catches on.

Another Mid engine swap using this transaxle....

xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:40 pm

If we are going there

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.TexasPerformanceConcepts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:52 pm

Nut-T
I just remembered the GT-40 guys posted the drawing for the adapter to graft our audi boxes to the chevy SBC, that could tuck the driveshaft outputs 7.5 inches from the end of the block. Would be cool to see the LS instake runners in the back 944 window. Very Happy
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  adam7e Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:00 pm

Straying just 1 second while there's talk of VW trans going on, I'm curious.. is there any chance those recent VW/audi DSG/s-tronic situations might be adapted for our use?... My guess is that (in addition to probably being weak and heavy) they're prob designed for use with all their fancy AWD stuff and dont point the power in the right direction for our cars.. can anyone shed some light for me? They're found in all these:
Audi TT, A1, A3, S3, A4, S4, A5, A7, A8, Q5,
VW Passat, Golf, GTI, Jeta, Eos, New Beetle Convertible, Passat CC and a bunch of others.

I'd sure love to have the ability to paddle shift faster than a human. While I know anything can be done with the right amount of money, I'd like to hear from you guys if it's conceivable.

The addition of the actual paddles and "electronic wizardry" involved are a secondary concern, I think I could cover that challenge.
adam7e
adam7e

Back to top Go down

Post  v8carreragts Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:29 pm

As long as everyone is coming up with interesting mid engined swaps.......

This is powered by an twin turbo AUDI v8 and AUDI transaxle.

v8carreragts
v8carreragts

Back to top Go down

Post  v2rocket Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:01 pm

for an update to this idea, i have sadly decided not to pursue it. as much as i would love the northstar for its uniqueness and cool-factor, it is simply too damn big to fit practically. it WILL FIT in the 944 bay but leave less than an inch on either side of the motor, not enough for maintenance or whatnot IMO.

the search continues for a cool new motor that will fit well and give good performance. i like the SHO 3.4 V8 (what a blast that would be)...lol...but the classic SBC/LS/LT is growing on me... Smile

or a boosted buick 3800

v2rocket

Back to top Go down

Post  v8carreragts Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:52 pm

Or you could do like turbobob and use a Grand National motor.
v8carreragts
v8carreragts

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:57 pm

Boosted 3.8 won't fit without serious hood mods and the throttle body will be in you AC fan! I know for a fact!
Northstars are not worth the time or money. They are good when there good , but don't let them go bad, parts are hard to find and a lot of shops won't work on the motor itself.

Why would you even consider a small v8? LS install is perfected and is to easy to easy to do..... Shocked

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  v8carreragts Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:14 pm

He had a RH hood but I'm not sure it is really required. I know of another guy out east with a Grand National in his 944S and he has no hood mods.
v8carreragts
v8carreragts

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:30 am

Turbo yes! Factory Chevrolet 3800 super charge no...... the throttle body hits the back of the engine bay.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  v2rocket Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:26 am

Admin wrote:Boosted 3.8 won't fit without serious hood mods and the throttle body will be in you AC fan! I know for a fact!
Northstars are not worth the time or money. They are good when there good , but don't let them go bad, parts are hard to find and a lot of shops won't work on the motor itself.

Why would you even consider a small v8? LS install is perfected and is to easy to easy to do..... Shocked

yea, i was thinking turbo, although i do love the SCs

as for the small v8 thing...i dont know, for some reason i get all warm in the nether regions when thinking about a small displacement, higher revving v8. like with the LS motors...if i could pick one right now theres a high chance id go for the 4.8 vortec, it still gets like 300HP, can take all the mods of the other motors, but maybe it will get me better economy or something :p as cool as the idea of 6+ litres sounds (and there is a chance id go there anyways), i like the smaller motor, the MOUSE..

v2rocket

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:20 am

Can the 3.8 intakes be turned around 180 degrees like the LS engines?

xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  v2rocket Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:32 pm

xschop wrote:Can the 3.8 intakes be turned around 180 degrees like the LS engines?

if i go to the boneyard today ill find out for you

anyone know what happened to the pics that were up in the 3.8 thread

v2rocket

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:20 am

Yes they were removed. Yes the intake can be reversed, the plastic 3800 intake is prone to cracking.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next