944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
What am i doing wrong?  Air intake. EmptyToday at 12:00 am by Raymond-P

» LEAKING TPC HYDROBOOST
What am i doing wrong?  Air intake. EmptyYesterday at 11:46 pm by Raymond-P

» Best engine uprights/plates
What am i doing wrong?  Air intake. EmptyYesterday at 11:09 pm by Raymond-P

» 944 Turbo TPC Radiator Install Help Needed
What am i doing wrong?  Air intake. EmptyYesterday at 10:59 pm by Raymond-P

» Fesler Saratoga Top
What am i doing wrong?  Air intake. EmptyYesterday at 4:44 pm by JW1970

» Rear coilover suspension setup
What am i doing wrong?  Air intake. EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 3:30 pm by ThomasJoseph315

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
What am i doing wrong?  Air intake. EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

» LS 982 5speed project here
What am i doing wrong?  Air intake. EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 am by Raymond-P

» LT1 Spark Plug make and model
What am i doing wrong?  Air intake. EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm by Rob44

» 928 5-speed kit
What am i doing wrong?  Air intake. EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 pm by LS982

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

What am i doing wrong? Air intake.

+2
87-944S
Porch
6 posters

Go down

What am i doing wrong?  Air intake. Empty What am i doing wrong? Air intake.

Post  Porch Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:57 pm

I thought maybe i had just gotten a weird chassis the first time, but i'm finishing up swap #2 here and i'm looking at the same air intake issues as with #1.

The problem is that i can't fit an elbow between the throttle body and the hood latch. Here is my engine in the new car as we speak:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The 4" x 3.5" elbow is hitting on the hood latch enough to become oval. I think i would need to trim an excessive amount (about .5") out of the latch area to make it round again--and then i don't know about hood clearance.

I made sure this time that the motor/trans were as far back as possible. There's maybe 1/2" between the rear of the trans and the spare tire bulge. There's ~5/8" between the motor and the firewall. My motor is as low as it can possibly go in the chassis (1/8" between rack and oil pan).

I found this picture on the old board, from SC944:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
It appears to be an easily fitting 4" to 4" elbow, with no cuts on the latch.

Could there be a different throttle body? A different intake? My motor is from a 2001 Trans Am. How far away is the lip of the throttle body from the hood latch on people's cars?

Sorry for the frustration, but this has long been an issue on my car, and i'm out of ideas! Hood pins are the only thing i can think of...
Porch
Porch

Back to top Go down

What am i doing wrong?  Air intake. Empty Re: What am i doing wrong? Air intake.

Post  87-944S Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:03 pm

Cut as much off the elbow as you can, and still be able to get a clamp on it. I had the same issue. My TB is 3.5" to the hoodlatch.
87-944S
87-944S

Back to top Go down

What am i doing wrong?  Air intake. Empty Re: What am i doing wrong? Air intake.

Post  xschop Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:07 pm

What's the rear driver's head to firewall clearance?
Slot your tranny X-member for another 5/8" play....
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  v8944 Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:49 am

cut down that elbow!!! i had problems with my rubber elbow on the LT1 motor...turns out i could cut it down a TON and get 3/4 of an inch in front of the elbow, and this is with a 4 incher too!
v8944
v8944

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:34 am

I did cut down the elbow. Right now it's about as short as i'd like to get it, but i could MAYBE go another 1/4". If i look inside the elbow i can see the lip of the throttle body...more cutting and it'll start to impede airflow!

I'll check firewall clearance tonight, but on the old car (with a similar fit) it was 5/8". I'll have to measure my TB to latch clearance tonight.

Slotting the transmission crossmember is a good idea though, i'll definitely do that!
Porch
Porch

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:35 am

Bluehellfire666: I've been looking through all the photo albums and i don't think the LT motors have the same issue as the LS motors. All the LT motors can easily fit a huge elbow on there.
Porch
Porch

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:59 am

Try this first: Jack up the front of the car, loosen the motor-mount-upright nuts and isolator bolts and see if the engine will fall back in the bay an inch or so with a little persuasion from a lever. The rubber tranny mounts could be causing it to sit too far forward. Otherwise, you could see the engine slop back after a bit of driving due to "drivetrain settling."

After pulling the OE engine out, the torque tube and tranny may have been pulled a bit forward and not repositioned before installing the V8.

Just a thing I had to do......even though the tranny mount on my car was only 80K miles old!!! Shocked

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:41 pm

Before i put in the crossmember, i had the motor and the trans suspended in the car, attached only by the trans mount. My trans mount is filled, so it doesn't have much flex. I pried on it as much as i could, but it wouldn't budge! The trans mount just doesn't have any flex.

I think i'm just generally out of room everywhere. I was mainly curious how some people are getting theirs to fit so tightly!

I think i'll slot my trans crossmember as much as i can, and maybe cut that elbow boot even shorter and grind off some of the throttle body lip. Between those two things i should at least be able to get the boot to fit without hitting the latch...
Porch
Porch

Back to top Go down

Post  Luke714 Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:48 pm

Is just getting rid of the front latch all together and using pins possibly the best option?
Luke714
Luke714

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:26 am

Using pins is definitely an option, the problem i have run into is that i haven't seen a pin installation i feel comfortable with (keeping in mind that the hood blowing up into the windshield at 120mph could very possibly lead to my death). Lots of the racers put them in the corners, but if you keep your washer fluid reservoir (which i plan to do) it's not possible to do it the same way on the passenger side. xschop had an idea for pin placement in his build thread that i actually kinda like, so that may be a possibility.

I measured my TB to latch clearance last night and it's right at 3.5". I trimmed another 1/4" off the elbow and it fits a little better. Didn't have time to slot the trans crossmember last night, but i think that should give me the last little push i need to clear everything without problems. Still, a much tighter fit than the picture above, and i only have a 3.5" elbow!
Porch
Porch

Back to top Go down

Post  v8944 Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:06 pm

interesting...could you take some measurements for me so we can compare? Maybe from the top and bottom of the TB to the hood latch and anything else you feel like putting a tape on and writing down...i'd be happy to do the same and compare
v8944
v8944

Back to top Go down