944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Similar topics
Latest topics
» 944 Turbo TPC Radiator Install Help Needed
Okay made my choice now need help EmptyToday at 7:08 am by gwistrup

» Best engine uprights/plates
Okay made my choice now need help EmptyYesterday at 10:12 am by Nath1142

» LEAKING TPC HYDROBOOST
Okay made my choice now need help EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:22 pm by lowform

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
Okay made my choice now need help EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:12 pm by lowform

» Fesler Saratoga Top
Okay made my choice now need help EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 7:28 pm by JW1970

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Okay made my choice now need help EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

» LS 982 5speed project here
Okay made my choice now need help EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 am by Raymond-P

» LT1 Spark Plug make and model
Okay made my choice now need help EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm by Rob44

» 928 5-speed kit
Okay made my choice now need help EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 pm by LS982

» Slave Cylinder Spacing from Clutch Fingers
Okay made my choice now need help EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 1:54 am by lowform

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Okay made my choice now need help

+3
stu wright
Admin
IFeelOld
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Okay made my choice now need help Empty Okay made my choice now need help

Post  IFeelOld Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:00 pm

i'm going to be rebuilding my 1979 4 bolt main 010 350 chevy block to put into my porsche 944 to turn into a 948

i this engine had engine knock got it for 100 dollars with everything on it

ill post pictures of it and my car up later on this coming week i need help on what to do and buy to get this all running right and into the porsche

for now ill be rebuilding the motor

i got stamp code of 3970010 and 010

i was wondering what i should do to repair the engine knock i never heard it run so i dont know how bad it was

also would it be better to just do a full rebuild kit and witch one is best ?

there was talk about a tubelar front end crossmember that has motor mount brackets on it does anyone know where i could get ether the specs to re-create it or where to buy it ?

also what year corvette bellhousing should i get from a junk yard and what else should i get from a junkyard for that matter ?

i know my spelling isnt that good but please help first i was going a lt1 route but i like the sbc alot more and i got it alot cheaper

thank you

IFeelOld

Back to top Go down

Okay made my choice now need help Empty Re: Okay made my choice now need help

Post  Admin Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:56 pm

I sell the tubular cross member for the motor mount replacement setup.
No, you can't have the spec so you can recreate it Shocked
It took a ton of R&D work to get it right. If you want to copy it you'll have to buy it first........
PM me for a price.
I would rebuild the complete motor before you install it no matter how slight the knock is/was. Make it a stroker 383 that's what I did. Cool

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.TexasPerformanceConcepts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  IFeelOld Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:23 pm

i would love to buy one i would't want to steal it it was kinda a joke he he
and yeah whats the best way to stroke the motor to 383 ?

can i just buy a 400 crank with new H rods and pistens ?

IFeelOld

Back to top Go down

Post  IFeelOld Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:42 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

this is the car and motor i am rebuild its a 350 4 bolt main

looking for a rebuild kit and wanted to know if i have to bore it over ? the cylinder walls seem okay but i am not sure also the code on the block is 3970010 and 010 you can see it kinda but there is alot of grease on it as anyone can see
i plan on getting it cleaned and going to do a rebuild kit myself any know a good company that offers a rebuild kit for this motor ?
is this a good motor for the sbc 944 swap ?

IFeelOld

Back to top Go down

Post  stu wright Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:02 pm

performance automotive warehouse is in california and would be a good source for your rebuild kit parts.if yo have a local machine shop they can help you with hot tanking the block and measuring your cylinder wall bore along with magnufluxing the block to check for cracks. the cylinder heads also need to be checked also.depending on the mileage of the engine and wear affects the amount of work to be done.the crankshaft also needs to be checked.the condition of the main bearings is a good place to start on the cranks condition.is there any copper showing on them or any scracth marks.performance automotive warehouse should sell whole rotating assemblies containing crank rods and pistons.you just need to see whats in your budget and weigh your options to see how much you can afford to spend.the machine shop you have localy also should have a inventory of good parts that you need to rebuild your motor.the better the rebuild and the right parts to make it all work and last is the most important.do it right the first time .
stu wright
stu wright

Back to top Go down

Post  IFeelOld Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:31 pm

thank you i checked there rebuild kits the one i like from them is about 170 ish

also i been talking to a machine shop near me but his hot tank is broken for atlest 2 weeks something about someone blew a motor in it or something im not sure i got to wait

also should i keep the stock heads just clean them up or maybe port them ? or just buy newer heads for it

again i dont want much horse power just about 280-350 ish ? and running on 91 pump gas

also is there a way to make this smog legal in california V8 carb setup ?

IFeelOld

Back to top Go down

Post  stu wright Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:55 pm

the smog legal calif thing i dont know much about but there is some ca members on that can help you with that part.as for heads that depends on your budget.vortecs make really good flow.or you can rebuild your heads
stu wright
stu wright

Back to top Go down

Post  IFeelOld Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:02 pm

well for the heads i know how to port ( ive done afew honda's and nissan heads ) but they really where all 4 cylinder engines and i got a cardide but not 100% sure if i should

how much do vortec heads normally run ?

IFeelOld

Back to top Go down

Post  stu wright Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:12 pm

you can find them for 600 a pair some places .sometimes you can get on ebay and find them cheaper.im running dart heads on mine but they r expensive.300 to 350 horse you should be able to get out of some 882 heads.thats a stock gm casting.if your budjet can afford is where you need to look.you can make some decent power out of a stock 350.944s only weigh 2700 lbs .power to weight ratio is greatly increased with a stock 350.my first engine in mine was pretty mild and it was pretty quick
stu wright
stu wright

Back to top Go down

Post  IFeelOld Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:20 pm

thanks i think ill just port these heads and buy that rebuild kit maybe do roller rockers ?
i know i wont need it really but i like the durability of the rollers im sure they will help anyway

IFeelOld

Back to top Go down

Post  stu wright Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:36 pm

there will be a clearace issue with roller rockers as they require tall valve covers which will interfere with master cylinder. you will have to delete the stock vacum brake booster for the stock valve covers to clear.and you will need to get a plate or make one to mount the master cylinder to the firewall .you will also need to decide about whether you want power steering or not.its best to know some of those issues before you start
stu wright
stu wright

Back to top Go down

Post  IFeelOld Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:47 pm

i was going to go power steering only no a/c or anything water pump will run on a eletric motor and i need to find what rad to get also for the brake master cylinder i dont know what to get really i have edelbrock valve covers that seem to be taller than stock ones i would need to get the motor where i want it and know how much clearance i have before i pick witch mc i will use i am pretty sure the normal kit from 944v8s will work fine though

IFeelOld

Back to top Go down

Post  stu wright Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:57 pm

with tall valve covers the mc might need moved over a little.i went a different route on my mc.with manuel brakes the dual mc is probaly a good choice but im using a single mc mounted in my floorboard.i got a little extreme with mine.i used to have mc on firewall but when i added tall valve covers i had a clearace issue.i have a solid roller cam so periodic adjustment is required.it makes it easier to remove valve covers with mc out of my way.
stu wright
stu wright

Back to top Go down

Post  modenas Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:58 pm

sure it a 350? i looked up codes and found it was also 302. look at my conversion. i got a 307 and now switchin out for a bigger and faster motor. i am running an electric water pump, 35 gallons a min. got a single groove pulley to put the alt. on and have my stock rad., and twin electric fans.
modenas
modenas

Back to top Go down

Post  IFeelOld Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:55 pm

positive its a chevy silverado 1979 motor and but the same code was in a z28 yes but its from a chevy silverado

IFeelOld

Back to top Go down

Post  IFeelOld Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:50 pm

okay was just wondering it says i can use a stock sbc bellhousing for a sbc and lt1 do i need to get a adapter plate to connect to the torq tube ? can i machine this peice myself and where can i get the specs for the old sbc bellhousing adapter plate

IFeelOld

Back to top Go down

Post  modenas Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:58 pm

i got some stuff for sell you might need. but yes you need a plate adapter from the 944 tt to the c5 bellhousing
modenas
modenas

Back to top Go down

Post  IFeelOld Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:02 pm

pm me what might you have i am planing to by the tube cross member from the admin here use that for the sbc mounts and all so i can keep the stock oil pan

but i do still need alot of stuff

IFeelOld

Back to top Go down

Post  IFeelOld Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:06 am

took my motor to clay smith cam's to get it tanked and checked out

might have it back in less than a week

cant wait

IFeelOld

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawgz83948 Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:30 am

Unless you have a 1979 944 that conversion will NEVER pass smog. To be legal it must be the same year or newer block and emissions equipment. Also you cannot use a truck motor in a car. Time to find a Nevada address and register that pig there.
Dawgz83948
Dawgz83948

Back to top Go down

Post  IFeelOld Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:02 pm

i found a old friend from high school that was alittle older than me that now owns a smog shop ... i pay him 125 and i get it passed Twisted Evil

but yeah i do wish i could have it legally pass smog

IFeelOld

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawgz83948 Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:15 pm

Save $2500 for when you get pulled over and the COP see's no BAR label. Good luck with that. I've already been pulled over 4 times, and the cop had started writing a ticket until I showed him my BAR label, once was in your neck of the woods.

Or he could be a real prick and write you up for modified for racing and have your car crushed. You really need to know the law before you do things....
Dawgz83948
Dawgz83948

Back to top Go down

Post  IFeelOld Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:17 pm

i dont really plan to drive it that much if its that much of a hassle ill just keep it as a track car for mazda luguna and then use my 750 gsxr for a dd

IFeelOld

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawgz83948 Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:19 pm

Sweet. Just remember.
Dawgz83948
Dawgz83948

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawgz83948 Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:25 pm

Telling you about being pulled over in L.A. makes me chuckle because of the id10t cop that pulled me over. He comes to my window and tells me that he called a tow truck and that he owned one of these cars before any that I've modified mine so it's illegal to drive on the road. I showed him my BAR label and he called it off. He asked me at the end what would I have done (cause I was getting pissed after he tells me he's going to tow my car) if I didn't have the bar label. I looked at him with a serious face and told him "I've reached 183 in this car with more to go, I have a full tank of gas and you guys would have one hell of a race to Mexico" Still makes me laugh, the look on his face as we said goodbye. Razz Razz
Dawgz83948
Dawgz83948

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next