944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» LEAKING TPC HYDROBOOST
Pilot Bearing / Input Shaft Tip Depth EmptyToday at 11:46 pm by Raymond-P

» Best engine uprights/plates
Pilot Bearing / Input Shaft Tip Depth EmptyToday at 11:09 pm by Raymond-P

» 944 Turbo TPC Radiator Install Help Needed
Pilot Bearing / Input Shaft Tip Depth EmptyToday at 10:59 pm by Raymond-P

» Fesler Saratoga Top
Pilot Bearing / Input Shaft Tip Depth EmptyToday at 4:44 pm by JW1970

» Rear coilover suspension setup
Pilot Bearing / Input Shaft Tip Depth EmptyYesterday at 3:30 pm by ThomasJoseph315

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
Pilot Bearing / Input Shaft Tip Depth EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:12 pm by lowform

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Pilot Bearing / Input Shaft Tip Depth EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

» LS 982 5speed project here
Pilot Bearing / Input Shaft Tip Depth EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 am by Raymond-P

» LT1 Spark Plug make and model
Pilot Bearing / Input Shaft Tip Depth EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm by Rob44

» 928 5-speed kit
Pilot Bearing / Input Shaft Tip Depth EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 pm by LS982

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Pilot Bearing / Input Shaft Tip Depth

3 posters

Go down

Pilot Bearing / Input Shaft Tip Depth Empty Pilot Bearing / Input Shaft Tip Depth

Post  rjarvis Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:15 pm

So I just got my engine mounted up for the first time. I am using the engine uprights/setback plates/bell housing adapter that Greg has drawings for in his book. Things seem to be going together smoothly so far...next will be getting the power steering rack to clear.

verifying the pilot bearing insertion depth of the TT input shaft tip. Wanted some opinions on if I need to adjust or if this is sufficient insertion:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

rjarvis

Back to top Go down

Pilot Bearing / Input Shaft Tip Depth Empty Re: Pilot Bearing / Input Shaft Tip Depth

Post  Leva Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:46 am

From your pic, it looks like the input shaft needs to be tapped forward deeper into the pilot bearing. The chamfered edge of the input shaft nose should be even with the face of the pilot bearing. There is also a measurement you can take detailed somewhere on the site. Cannot recall at the moment.

Leva

smkn951 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Pilot Bearing / Input Shaft Tip Depth Empty Re: Pilot Bearing / Input Shaft Tip Depth

Post  rjarvis Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:39 pm

Leva wrote:From your pic, it looks like the input shaft needs to be tapped forward deeper into the pilot bearing. The chamfered edge of the input shaft nose should be even with the face of the pilot bearing. There is also a measurement you can take detailed somewhere on the site. Cannot recall at the moment.

Thank you Leva - tapped it forward and am sitting here now:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Appreciate the tip.

rjarvis

Back to top Go down

Post  Leva Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:34 am

No worries. Looks good from the new pic. I dug up my notes, and the measurement is .24, if you want to double check. This is one of the most crucial steps in the swap. If you get it wrong you will tear up the splines of the input shaft and clutch disk.

Leva

Back to top Go down

Post  Leva Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:46 am

Also, if you did not know already, you will most likely have to drill a new notch for the transaxle to input shaft coupler out back to keep this depth/alignment in tact since you had to tap the shaft forward. You want to do this now during mockup/test fit without the clutch disk/pressure plate installed. This way you can still verify your depth and that nothing has moved up front. Good luck!

Leva

Back to top Go down

Post  rjarvis Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:48 am

Leva wrote:No worries. Looks good from the new pic. I dug up my notes, and the measurement is .24, if you want to double check. This is one of the most crucial steps in the swap. If you get it wrong you will tear up the splines of the input shaft and clutch disk.

Good to know - so just making sure , the .24 is the amount of engagement in the pilot bearing?

Thanks

rjarvis

Back to top Go down

Post  Leva Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:10 am

No, it is the difference between the spline end of the input shaft and the face of the bearing.

Leva

Back to top Go down

Post  tarmac terrorist Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:13 pm

That's .24 of an inch?

tarmac terrorist

Back to top Go down