944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Fesler Saratoga Top
Renegade Hybrids Shorty Headers-Are they any good? EmptyToday at 12:16 am by Ironworker613

» 944 Turbo TPC Radiator Install Help Needed
Renegade Hybrids Shorty Headers-Are they any good? EmptyYesterday at 4:14 pm by SpeedRacer11

» Rear coilover suspension setup
Renegade Hybrids Shorty Headers-Are they any good? EmptyYesterday at 3:30 pm by ThomasJoseph315

» Best engine uprights/plates
Renegade Hybrids Shorty Headers-Are they any good? EmptyThu Apr 25, 2024 10:12 am by Nath1142

» LEAKING TPC HYDROBOOST
Renegade Hybrids Shorty Headers-Are they any good? EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:22 pm by lowform

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
Renegade Hybrids Shorty Headers-Are they any good? EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:12 pm by lowform

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Renegade Hybrids Shorty Headers-Are they any good? EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

» LS 982 5speed project here
Renegade Hybrids Shorty Headers-Are they any good? EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 am by Raymond-P

» LT1 Spark Plug make and model
Renegade Hybrids Shorty Headers-Are they any good? EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm by Rob44

» 928 5-speed kit
Renegade Hybrids Shorty Headers-Are they any good? EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 pm by LS982

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Renegade Hybrids Shorty Headers-Are they any good?

4 posters

Go down

Renegade Hybrids Shorty Headers-Are they any good? Empty Renegade Hybrids Shorty Headers-Are they any good?

Post  gwistrup Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:31 pm

Has anyone installed the Renegade Hybrids shorty headers on their vehicle? If so, are you satisfied with them? I have a Moroso oil pan with a remote oil filter and hydroboost so there are a lot of hoses on the driver's side of the car. Is there enough clearance for all this stuff? Is there enough room for the steering shaft? My car uses the 1/2" subframe spacers.

I currently have the original converted Hooker headers on my 5.3 LM4 swap. They work OK but make everything on the driver's side of the engine impossible to work on. They are also very close to the Hydroboost system. The Renegade Hybrids version looks like they would perform better than the ones available from Texas Performance Concepts. I don't really want to spend $2000 for long tube headers. Some feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Gil

gwistrup

Back to top Go down

Renegade Hybrids Shorty Headers-Are they any good? Empty Re: Renegade Hybrids Shorty Headers-Are they any good?

Post  948 Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:09 pm

Can't comment on the fit or function of either brand you mention.

Do you have a picture of the RH shorties?

Have you considered the tubular manifolds that TPC offers? They are <$600, IIRC.

Back to top Go down

Renegade Hybrids Shorty Headers-Are they any good? Empty re: headers

Post  gwistrup Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:52 pm

Renegade Hybrids Shorty Headers-Are they any good? Header10

These headers from Renegade Hybrids look like they would probably flow better because they go into a collector when the TPC units are more like a manifold.  Fit is critical but I would like a performance improvement too.
I currently have the modified Hooker 2312 headers on my car and the right header is good but the left one makes reaching anything on the left side of the engine just about impossible.  The left header is also very close to the brake master cylinder.

gwistrup

Back to top Go down

Renegade Hybrids Shorty Headers-Are they any good? Empty Re: Renegade Hybrids Shorty Headers-Are they any good?

Post  948 Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:05 pm

Those mid-lengths may have a small performance advantage over the TPC tubular headers, in theory. Look like the RH might be a tighter fit though, you think?

Do you have a cam or head work?

Back to top Go down

Renegade Hybrids Shorty Headers-Are they any good? Empty re: headers

Post  gwistrup Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:19 pm

I have a Brian Tooley Stage II truck torque cam in the LM4 5.3. The rest of the engine is stock. The guy from RH said there is plenty of room for the steering shaft and anything else on the left side. I have a remote filter, oil cooler, and hydroboost so there are a bunch of hoses that the exhaust has to clear.

gwistrup

Back to top Go down

Post  948 Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:56 pm

So, not sure your engine is at a point where headers will make a noticeable difference, from what you already have.
I would spend the money on heads and a big cam; once you get the revs up a good set of headers will allow the gasses to flow....

Back to top Go down

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:35 pm

I've installed 2 sets of the RH headers. They fit with plenty of clearance. They will perform very well with your existing cam. They won't perform as well as the longtubes, but you aren't trying to make big power. I have one client whos making almost 500whp with the RH headers.
Hotrodz of Dallas
Hotrodz of Dallas

Back to top Go down

Renegade Hybrids Shorty Headers-Are they any good? Empty re:RH shorty headers

Post  gwistrup Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:52 pm

Thanks for the information. I will order a pair. What are your thoughts on flex pipes in the head pipe? Is there any benefit of a flexible versus a solid head pipe? The head pipe I have now is a solid pipe but since I have to make a new one, now is the time to change it if necessary.

gwistrup

Back to top Go down

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:06 am

I use flex pipes on both sides. The ones I didn't have cracked the pipes. One broke a Kooks header off at the collector
Hotrodz of Dallas
Hotrodz of Dallas

Back to top Go down

Renegade Hybrids Shorty Headers-Are they any good? Empty RE: headers

Post  gwistrup Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:37 pm

Thanks for the information Bob. I will put flex pipes in the new head pipe when I make it.

gwistrup

Back to top Go down

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:14 pm

Renegade Hybrids Shorty Headers-Are they any good? 944_ex10
Hotrodz of Dallas
Hotrodz of Dallas

smkn951 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Renegade Hybrids Shorty Headers-Are they any good? Empty Headers

Post  gwistrup Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:28 pm

So are those headers in the picture the actual Renegade Hybrids units? Am I correct that there is a three bolt collector on each side that goes to a V band clamp, then the flex pipe, and both sides connect to the Y pipe? Is the head pipe 2 1/2" diameter pipe? Is the exhaust pipe 3" or 4" after the collector? Thanks for the picture. Gil

gwistrup

Back to top Go down

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:54 am

Those are TPC manifolds. I was just showing how I use the flex joints. I don't have any pics of the Renegades.
I use V band clamps on all connections. I cut off the 3 hole flanges. Those are 2.5" all the way to the y pipe, then 3" out to the back of the car.
Hotrodz of Dallas
Hotrodz of Dallas

Back to top Go down

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:59 am

Renegade Hybrids Shorty Headers-Are they any good? 944exh10
Hotrodz of Dallas
Hotrodz of Dallas

smkn951 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Renegade Hybrids Shorty Headers-Are they any good? Empty RE: Headers

Post  gwistrup Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:52 am

I have not used V band clamps before but I think I will incorporate them in my new exhaust. Do they also give a little more adjustability to the Joint?

gwistrup

Back to top Go down

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:03 pm

gwistrup wrote:I have not used V band clamps before but I think I will incorporate them in my new exhaust.  Do they also give a little more adjustability to the Joint?  

They only allow turning but not angling if that makes sense. The flanges butt up flat against each other. Main reason I use them, is that they are leak free and no gaskets to burn out. Plus removing and installing is way simpler.
Hotrodz of Dallas
Hotrodz of Dallas

Back to top Go down

Post  Plucky948 Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:14 pm

It makes sense to use vband clamps if it can give you more space here at header connection. But flex is another thing. The starter is rotated but it's a cm from the header. Renegade Hybrids Shorty Headers-Are they any good? 20210610
Plucky948
Plucky948

Back to top Go down

Renegade Hybrids Shorty Headers-Are they any good? Empty RE headers

Post  gwistrup Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:28 am

I elected to get the ceramic coated version of the Renegade Hybrids headers. I did not cut the flanges off to put V-band clamps on because I did not want to burn the coating. I installed the headers last weekend and they were a challenge to install ( so much for the ceramic coating! I scratched the crap out of them) but I have about 2 CM clearance between the starter and the right side header. I am going to make a heat shield to go in between the starter and header. I will also wrap the wiring on that side too with heat insulation. They claim that ceramic coating helps to keep the heat inside the header. I hope this is true. I used the DEI header wrap on my old headers and it worked well. I did not wrap the new headers and I am certainly not going to remove the new headers to wrap them.

gwistrup

Back to top Go down

Post  Plucky948 Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:44 am

Ceramic coated helps but it is tricky to deal with in the vehicle to install. Here is the other side of the header y pipe hitting the steel control arm on passenger side. Gimme a break 1 cm on either side, lol can only fix half of it, or as you mentioned cut the ceramic coating and weaken the flange for room. It's still laughable I find this and the steering shaft going through the other header with heat frying u joints and rack vibration issues about all I have left to re-engineer. And besides cutting the hood up for cooling! Can't wait.

Renegade Hybrids Shorty Headers-Are they any good? 20210611
Plucky948
Plucky948

Back to top Go down

Renegade Hybrids Shorty Headers-Are they any good? Empty RE: Headers

Post  gwistrup Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:22 pm

Ahh, the challenge of trying to fit something big into a small space. Did you use the subframe spacers? I don't know if that would help with creating more room. I have the original style engine mounts that use stock Chevy rubber mounts on the engine and I had to put some shims under the mount where it attaches to the subframe to raise the engine from hitting the rack and then I needed to use the subframe spacers to lower the engine enough to close the hood. It's interesting that all these cars seem to be a little different. My car is an '88 so it has aluminum control arms. That may make a difference from an early model with steel control arms.

gwistrup

Back to top Go down