944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
CSR Thermostat Housing Info and Another Alternative EmptyToday at 12:47 am by sharkey

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
CSR Thermostat Housing Info and Another Alternative EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 1:01 am by Raymond-P

» power steering pump
CSR Thermostat Housing Info and Another Alternative EmptyThu Mar 14, 2024 10:28 pm by Rond948

» VATS Bypass/Delete
CSR Thermostat Housing Info and Another Alternative EmptyThu Mar 14, 2024 8:38 pm by Rond948

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
CSR Thermostat Housing Info and Another Alternative EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
CSR Thermostat Housing Info and Another Alternative EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
CSR Thermostat Housing Info and Another Alternative EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

» Crank no start no fuel pump prime
CSR Thermostat Housing Info and Another Alternative EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 9:07 pm by Rond948

» What coilover spring rates are you running with torsion bar removed?
CSR Thermostat Housing Info and Another Alternative EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 10:15 am by dcoutofstep

» 924 that has been modified already
CSR Thermostat Housing Info and Another Alternative EmptyWed Feb 28, 2024 12:17 am by Gutterboy

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

CSR Thermostat Housing Info and Another Alternative

+4
Bluemach1
xschop
Max Energy
944-LT1
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

CSR Thermostat Housing Info and Another Alternative Empty CSR Thermostat Housing Info and Another Alternative

Post  944-LT1 Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:28 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I just recieved my CSR 0° thermostat housing part number CSR911LS1. For any of those who order this housing from say summit, please note that, atleast for the LS3, that the housing will not work with the stock LS3 thermostat and that a 54mm early model chevrolet thermostat must be used.

On Summits site, they did not mention this and so I assumed (gotta stop doing that) that the LS3 t-stat would work with it.....it does not....at all. Rolling Eyes

Hopefully this helps someone in that not only must you pay the 40 dollars for the housing but also the 15-25 dollars (depending on degrees and brand) for the thermostat itself.

ALSO, so this thread is a bit more useful:
There is an adapter kit for the LSx engines out there made by "STM" or swaptech and sold by "nookandtranny" which is a store found by google or on ebay. It allows the stock thermostat to be retained but clocked or a standard early housing.....well just google "nookandtranny" Cost is 69.95

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

CSR Thermostat Housing Info and Another Alternative Empty LS Swivel connector

Post  Max Energy Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:30 am

Steet and Performance offers a billet aluminum LS adapter connector
Max
Max Energy
Max Energy

Back to top Go down

CSR Thermostat Housing Info and Another Alternative Empty Re: CSR Thermostat Housing Info and Another Alternative

Post  944-LT1 Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:40 pm

Quick Note: Milodon 16400 high flow thermostats and similar t-stats will NOT work with the CSR thermostat housing.

944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

CSR Thermostat Housing Info and Another Alternative Empty Re: CSR Thermostat Housing Info and Another Alternative

Post  944-LT1 Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:11 pm

Okay. Check that. It DOES work but you have to gently dent-in the three prongs of the thermostat. Then it fits in nicely. This does no harm to the thermostat.

Another NOTE: The CSR thermostat housing has gone through two designs. The old design (shown below) is a one-piece unit. The new re-designed unit is actually two pieces. The tube part, that the radiator inlet hose clamps to, actually is threaded into the base and sealed with an O-ring. Im not sure why they did this but it makes it very easy to center the thermostat while bolting down the base. Maybe they did this so that people could thread in an AN adapter if need be. Not sure.

Note that all 54mm t-stats are a bit loose when installed under the CSR thermostat housing. CSR claims that this is supposed to happen in order to let a bit of coolant pass by when the thermostat is closed. Many say that the 54mm t-stat used with the CSR housing does NOT close the heater port and so its difficult to get "good" heat out of the vents until the entire cooling system is at operating temp.

Thats all for that!
First design:

Second Design:

944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:32 am

Many say that the 54mm t-stat used with the CSR housing does NOT close the heater port and so its difficult to get "good" heat out of the vents until the entire cooling system is at operating temp.

Great info Mike, this just confirms what I'm doing by plugging the port hole and doing away with a T-stat. I did buy an early style "swivel" T-stat housing that I am making an adapter for just like the pic. The Early T-stat housings are 3.25" center to center bolt holes and the LS, Trucks are 3.00" C2C... Can you confirm your CSR Housing is 3.25" C2C?
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  Bluemach1 Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:16 am

I just received my CSR 911LS1C from summit. Mounting holes measure 3.00" c to c.

Bluemach1

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3378613

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:29 am

Thanks Blue, I meant to say 3.00" for the LS housings.
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:44 am

While we're having a thermostat discussion, i had a problem with my housing and the thermostat. I fixed mine like this:

Just thought i'd throw it out there Smile
Porch
Porch

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:54 am

What was the problem? No leak-by past the closed T-stat?
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:26 pm

Oops. Missed these posts. Yeah, the CSR housing bolts are exactly 3.00" center to center. Also, the GM pump tstat bore opening is 1-7/8" and the CSR inlet is tapered from an initial 1-5/16" ID (with 1-1/2" OD) down to 1" where it threads into the housing base.

I find it a bit stupid that CSR decided to "bottle-neck" its housing down to 1" ID instead of matching GM's 1-7/8". But then again, my RH ron davis radiator outlet is about that size as well so.... oh well.

944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:51 pm

My thermostat had a little weep hole with a captured piece of steel in it that interfered with the housing, and also the opening on my thermostat was a little large to fit in the CSR housing. It might have just been a problem with the thermostat i bought (180*, don't remember the brand). Just figured i'd mention it...
Porch
Porch

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:54 pm

Oh, and also...my thermostat housing (CSR) is now leaking. I haven't pulled it off yet, but i'm assume that POS o-ring setup failed (don't they always??). I might just fill it with JB-Weld and use a real gasket on it this time.

I'd find another t-stat housing if you can, mine was a shiney billet failure.
Porch
Porch

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:10 pm

I havent run mine yet. There are two O-rings on mine; one that seals the base to the waterpump and another that seals the tube of the t-stat housing to the base of the unit.

Im not really loving the O-ring to WP either but was (as always) going to use a thin dab of gasket sealer when I finally installed it. But since you said that, I may just make a gasket and ditch the O-ring.

944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:23 pm

I guess to be fair mine held up for about 2 years, but i know a gasket would have gone much longer! It's been a while since i put mine together so i can't say for sure, but i almost always put a dab of silicone on stuff like that to account for imperfections.

If you're not in a rush it might not be a bad idea. Unfortunately for me it means a 30 minute job will take 2 days since i have to let the JBweld cure!
Porch
Porch

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:32 pm

Laughing Laughing

Yeah, 2 years is not good. Im gonna go ahead and make a gasket for sure. They say "Do not over-tighten the mounting bolts" or I might crush/deform the O-ring.... I have no idea how much is too much with an alen wrench so I'll just go ol' paper gasket.

944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:15 am

I mocked up my T-stat delete housing with this adapter plate and wanted to let you guys know that the 160Deg T-stat that comes with the kit is NOT CORRECT for the LS or Truck pumps. It does not block the heater port and causes hot fluid to recirculate within the block and your heater will work poorly at best. I bought a brand new Truck T-stat with the 4-hole block off plunger on the end and when used with the 1/4" adapter plate does not block off the heater port either.....FYI
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  skywalker01 Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:32 am

Hey there! I bought the CSR housing as well, but later discovered that the stock LS1 thermostat housing works great! I have an '83 944 and I am not experiencing any problems related to location.
skywalker01
skywalker01

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:38 am

Hey Sky, do you mean that you used the LS1 housing with this adapter plate?
The reason for the plate is to clock the older housings or use the older bolt pattern 360* swivel housing which I have. The Truck housing and LS housing puts the radiator hose right smack into the passenger frame rail...
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  skywalker01 Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:50 am

I have a Vette LS1 - Mike (87-944S) has an LS2, and we are both using the stock housings without any adapters.
skywalker01
skywalker01

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:55 am

Ok. But I want the swivel-ness of my swivel port. Is your return hose touching the frame rail with the factory housing?
If that port is not blocked off by the lower plunger, you are not getting maximum velocity thru the radiator...
The 1/4" adapter plate locates the Truck/LS T-stats out 1/4 away from the port inside, that's the problem....
I only looked at the LS integrated T-stat at Oreilly's yesterday when I bought the new Truck T-stat and the depths were the same.....
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  skywalker01 Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:07 am

I am not seeing any adverse contact, but then I spent alot of time in the hose bin at my local Advance.
skywalker01
skywalker01

Back to top Go down

Post  Bluemach1 Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:46 am

Skywalker01 -
By chance did you note the hose(s) you selected?

Bluemach1

Back to top Go down

Post  skywalker01 Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:26 pm

I posted that info on the 'other' conversion site. Mike may still have the labels on his.
skywalker01
skywalker01

Back to top Go down

Post  Bluemach1 Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:20 pm

Found this thread:

Bluemach1

Back to top Go down

CSR Thermostat Housing Info and Another Alternative Empty CSR Thermostat housing.

Post  fliermike45 Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:52 pm

I ran into the CSR problem also, I purchased the item called out in Greg's manual and found that it would not work with the stock thermostat.
I used my stock housing, cut the neck off and had it faced by my local machine shop. Now I have a spacer with the step and keyway for the factory thermostat.
Longer screws and you are in business.

fliermike45

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next