944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» 944 Turbo TPC Radiator Install Help Needed
I need some help reading these spark plugs, please EmptyToday at 7:08 am by gwistrup

» Best engine uprights/plates
I need some help reading these spark plugs, please EmptyYesterday at 10:12 am by Nath1142

» LEAKING TPC HYDROBOOST
I need some help reading these spark plugs, please EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:22 pm by lowform

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
I need some help reading these spark plugs, please EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:12 pm by lowform

» Fesler Saratoga Top
I need some help reading these spark plugs, please EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 7:28 pm by JW1970

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
I need some help reading these spark plugs, please EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

» LS 982 5speed project here
I need some help reading these spark plugs, please EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 am by Raymond-P

» LT1 Spark Plug make and model
I need some help reading these spark plugs, please EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm by Rob44

» 928 5-speed kit
I need some help reading these spark plugs, please EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 pm by LS982

» Slave Cylinder Spacing from Clutch Fingers
I need some help reading these spark plugs, please EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 1:54 am by lowform

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

I need some help reading these spark plugs, please

5 posters

Go down

I need some help reading these spark plugs, please Empty I need some help reading these spark plugs, please

Post  Arthropraxis Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:54 pm

I have been chasing a vibration that comes in and out of the RPM range.I have had the clutch pack balanced, replaced the vibration damper/crank pulley and sealed the intake leaks. The motor is a 2004 GTO LS6 intake. After the intake leaks were sealed up everything ran much more smooth and the vibration was less but still there. It is at its worst around 3K RPM.
Here are pictures of the spark plugs they are NGK TR55 gapped to .40 they each have a burn spot on the insulator. Is that detonation/preignition, too hot of a plug? That would explain the vibration. Would regapping to a wider gap help? Or changing the timing?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Arthropraxis
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

I need some help reading these spark plugs, please Empty Re: I need some help reading these spark plugs, please

Post  Rich L. Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:04 pm

Yeah, I would agree it looks like preignition. Maybe try the T6 plugs to drop down a heat range.

Rich
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

I need some help reading these spark plugs, please Empty Re: I need some help reading these spark plugs, please

Post  944-LT1 Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:47 pm

They look glazed. Use a colder plug.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthropraxis Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:53 pm

Thanks, for the replies. Would I need a colder plug because of a timing issue? These are the plugs recommended for this motor with the gap changed from .55 to .40 as recommended by GM to compensate for poor idling on the factory motor with a bigger gap.
I need to get this car tuned, right now it is running a mail order tune.
Arthropraxis
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:56 pm

Just out of curiosity, are you running rubber or poly motor mounts?

I have poly mounts and a similar vibration (not sure how bad yours is) and i'm pretty sure it's just the way it is.

Not saying you don't need to change your heat range on your plugs, but it might not be related.
Porch
Porch

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthropraxis Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:50 pm

Poly mounts. I have read on various forums issues people have with poly mounts, so that isn't ruled out for the vibration. I gapped the plugs to .055 and it did seem better but the vibration is still there. It seems that everything I try makes it a little better, the next time I am in the store I'll get some TR-6's.
Porch, does your vibration happen up and down the RPM range? Mine does.
Arthropraxis
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:12 am

How are your TT bearings?
acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:19 pm

No, mine is just a harmonic in the 2200-2500rpm range.

You could also check out your harmonic damper and torque tube bearings as someone else mentioned, but spark plugs are a lot cheaper!
Porch
Porch

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthropraxis Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:22 pm

acorad wrote:How are your TT bearings?
The vibration happens at a stop with the clutch in, so no TT bearing issue. I replaced the vibration damper/crank pulley and had the clutch/FW/PP checked for balance. I started another thread specifically about the vibration that someone suggested it may be tuning, looks like they were right. Still could be the mounts. Would the new style motor mounts help?
Arthropraxis
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:55 pm

Is it really noticeable throughout the car, or just the shifter when you touch it?
acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthropraxis Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:03 pm

It can be felt through the seat and shifter. I have the thrust bearings at the shifter, Xschop SSK and heim joints for the shifter linkage on top of the transaxle, so the shifter is tight.
Arthropraxis
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:12 pm

Frustrating.

You'd think with a balanced fw/pp/clutch all would be good. I tightened my motor mounts during my vibration odyssey a few months ago and it did help some but not completely. I still get some vibes in the shifter at speed, but I think that's my TT bearings as they've also gotten much louder over the past few weeks or so. So I'm going to pull the trans/TT for the second time soon. Oh well.

Wish I could be more help.
acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down