944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» 944 Turbo TPC Radiator Install Help Needed
What LS Exhaust Manifolds / Headers EmptyToday at 4:14 pm by SpeedRacer11

» Rear coilover suspension setup
What LS Exhaust Manifolds / Headers EmptyToday at 3:30 pm by ThomasJoseph315

» Best engine uprights/plates
What LS Exhaust Manifolds / Headers EmptyYesterday at 10:12 am by Nath1142

» LEAKING TPC HYDROBOOST
What LS Exhaust Manifolds / Headers EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:22 pm by lowform

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
What LS Exhaust Manifolds / Headers EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:12 pm by lowform

» Fesler Saratoga Top
What LS Exhaust Manifolds / Headers EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 7:28 pm by JW1970

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
What LS Exhaust Manifolds / Headers EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

» LS 982 5speed project here
What LS Exhaust Manifolds / Headers EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 am by Raymond-P

» LT1 Spark Plug make and model
What LS Exhaust Manifolds / Headers EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm by Rob44

» 928 5-speed kit
What LS Exhaust Manifolds / Headers EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 pm by LS982

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

What LS Exhaust Manifolds / Headers

+6
ynbad
Admin
944-LT1
Tehone
fliermike45
epsylon9mm
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What LS Exhaust Manifolds / Headers Empty What LS Exhaust Manifolds / Headers

Post  epsylon9mm Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:33 pm

What exhaust manifolds are folks using in their LSX conversion? I am doing a Renegade Hybrid conversion and I have tried the LM7 5.3 LS truck manifolds and 1999 Corvette manifolds. The truck manifolds look like they will interfere with the steering column and are going to be a little too close to the firewall ( I am going to test this by putting the engine in for a test fitting this week but I am pretty sure they will not work ) and the 1999 Corvette manifolds hit the cross member. Instead of buying more manifolds that will not fit has anyone found something that will definitely work beside custom? confused

Here are some shots of my car's engine bay thus far
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

after input shaft adjustment
here are the truck manifold that i think drop too far back close to the firewall, i think i need something that turns down between the last 2 ports. 2010 camaro manifolds turn down on the last port like these but go straight down which might work.

Last edited by 944-LT1 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:05 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added photo)

epsylon9mm

Back to top Go down

What LS Exhaust Manifolds / Headers Empty Headers

Post  fliermike45 Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:11 pm

RH Headers

fliermike45

Back to top Go down

What LS Exhaust Manifolds / Headers Empty What LS Exhaust Manifolds / Headers

Post  Tehone Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:38 am

Fliermike45:

The RH headers look really sharp. I have been going through the same thoughts of being able to use factory exhaust manifolds and even saw a set of Hooker competition headers that look similar to the RH headers.

How is the clearence for the oil lines? This was a question in another thread (hate asking redundant questions) but food for thought with your picture it may give others a good view for clearance issues.

Tehone

Back to top Go down

What LS Exhaust Manifolds / Headers Empty Re: What LS Exhaust Manifolds / Headers

Post  944-LT1 Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:21 am

epsylon9mm wrote:What exhaust manifolds are folks using in their LSX conversion? I am doing a Renegade Hybrid conversion and I have tried the LM7 5.3 LS truck manifolds and 1999 Corvette manifolds. The truck manifolds look like they will interfere with the steering column and are going to be a little too close to the firewall ( I am going to test this by putting the engine in for a test fitting this week but I am pretty sure they will not work ) and the 1999 Corvette manifolds hit the cross member. Instead of buying more manifolds that will not fit has anyone found something that will definitely work beside custom? confused

Ive seen one instance of stock ls1 headers used but for a 944. It was for emissions reasons. The steering shaft was cut and a spherical joint added to clear the manifold. I believe RH did it for him or made the parts to do it.

Last edited by 944-LT1 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:46 am; edited 1 time in total

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

What LS Exhaust Manifolds / Headers Empty Re: What LS Exhaust Manifolds / Headers

Post  Admin Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:27 am

On the 928's I have found no factory manifold that doesn't hit some thing on the car.
I have a set of 2011 Camaro manifolds that came on a crate motor that look like they might work, I just don't have a car here to try them on. No they don't work for the 944! Evil or Very Mad

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.TexasPerformanceConcepts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  epsylon9mm Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:57 pm

Does RH make headers for the 928? I do not see any listed for the 928 just the 944 on their site. I am assuming the engine bays are different enough between the 944 and 928 that the 944 headers would not work.

I have been looking at the new camaro headers. The truck ones are different for the drivers and passengers side. The drivers side looks like it might work although it is very close the firewall. However, the passenger's side will hit the firewall because they made it to clear the LS starter. The camaro manifold drop straight down at the last port for both sides. This might cause a steering column issue and i do not want to hack any porsche stuff just to make the exhaust work. I think the steering column is important enough not to mess with it. Laughing

Does anyone know of aftermarket headers or someone whose has fabricated some for the 928s and the LSX?

Here is a shot of the old 928 engine with exhaust. You can see how they are tucked:

I hate being this close to the end of the tunnel only to be stumped by some metal piping.... scratch

epsylon9mm

Back to top Go down

Post  epsylon9mm Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:52 pm

I found these which might work. They are Corvette C6 manifolds and drop right over the cross member but higher up unlike the the 1999 C5 manifolds I have now that hit the cross member.

epsylon9mm

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue May 01, 2012 8:33 am

No those will not work
Yes Rh makes headers that will fit, Give them a call. Good Luck!
Yes there is an aftermarket set that works.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

What LS Exhaust Manifolds / Headers Empty RH Header clearance

Post  fliermike45 Tue May 01, 2012 2:39 pm

Here is a pic of the RH header on the driver's side showing clearance and position of my steering shaft.
This is a Xschop shaft with a Borgeson UJ. Removed Willwood MC to fit Hydroboost.

fliermike45

Back to top Go down

What LS Exhaust Manifolds / Headers Empty Header clearance

Post  Tehone Tue May 01, 2012 6:53 pm

OMG!!!!! That is a tight fit along the frame rails. I was really hoping there was more but I have not gotten to shoe-horn the engine into the car yet. Oh my.

Any idea if the headers from TPC provide anymore clearance or are they just as tight as well?

Sure like that steering shaft.

Thanks for the info fliermike45 Very Happy

Tehone

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue May 01, 2012 9:08 pm

That's a 944! there is no need for that on the 928 it has a ton of room. no need for my headers either Cool

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

What LS Exhaust Manifolds / Headers Empty Oh well!

Post  fliermike45 Tue May 01, 2012 9:27 pm

Sorry, never dreamed anyone would want to swap out a Porsche V8.

fliermike45

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue May 01, 2012 10:13 pm

Twice the four banger, Twice the problems, twice the cost!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  epsylon9mm Wed May 02, 2012 6:56 am

I will call RH today to see about the custom 928 headers they sell, they are not listed as an optional part for purchase for the LS kit. Any chance you know the aftermarket manufacturer for the headers that are known to fit?

Can anyone confirm if any of the available LS headers used on the 944 will work for a 928?

The 944 pictures posted are very helpful. It looks like the pipe merge flange is next to the bottom corners of the bellhousing for the LS block. Any chance you could tell me how far out they are, measured from that corner to the inner and outer edge of the flange? This distance would help be figure out if they will hit the steering column.

This picture was provided by fliermike45, I can remove it if you do not want me to post it.

Or even better if you know these measurements:

epsylon9mm

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed May 02, 2012 7:32 am

Don't waste your time calling RH.
Just call Sanderson, they have a set that fits perfectly. I've used them on three cars so far with no issues.
LS1 headers
They also make them in 1 5/8" as well as 1 1/2" Cool
No these won't fit the 944's so don't ask.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Wed May 02, 2012 7:58 am

I agree with Eric. What RH does is order the set from Sanderson in plain steel, have it delivered to their door, remove the sanderson name plate or any other evidence that it wasnt made by RH, have it coated and then send to the customer pawned-off as their own.

I bought a set from RH for my 944/LT1 conversion in 1997 which was missing the Sanderson name plate. Then I bought a set directly from Sanderson which had their plate on it. No biggie right? ....Well, actually, I paid $700 for the set from RH whereas I paid 250 for the set directly from Sanderson. Shocked Shady business practice. Live and learn though.

944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  epsylon9mm Wed May 02, 2012 8:36 pm

What is the part number for the sandersons that fit he 928? Their headers look very nice. Very Happy

epsylon9mm

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed May 02, 2012 9:55 pm

follow the link in my post. It will take you right to them

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  epsylon9mm Mon May 14, 2012 1:15 pm

I have order a set of the Sanderson LS158. Very Happy

I called RH and they said they do not make LS1 headers for the 928 because the factory F-Body Camaro LS1 manifolds fit and flow well enough for most applications. I waited for a week to see if a cheap pair would show up on eBay and opted for the headers instead.

epsylon9mm

Back to top Go down

Post  epsylon9mm Mon May 14, 2012 1:56 pm

Here is picture of the motor mounted. It felt good to see this progress ( the clutch input shaft lined up perfectly ). I test fit both the truck and corvette c5 manifolds. The truck manifolds almost work. The triangle flange on the driver's side manifold hits the steering column. I think if it would have been a 2 bolt flange it would have cleared it. The C5 manifolds hit the cross member the only way this would work is by cutting a pie slice out of them to turn up the down pipe, not worth it IMHO.

epsylon9mm

Back to top Go down

Post  epsylon9mm Mon May 28, 2012 8:54 am

Forgot to follow up with a picture. Sanderson Headers fit perfectly.

Now it is on to the plumbing for fuel, coolant, and power steering

epsylon9mm

Back to top Go down

What LS Exhaust Manifolds / Headers Empty epsylon9mm looks like we are about at the same level

Post  ynbad Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:33 pm

I have not found the right headers but it looks like you did the homework for me. Can you show a picture from below? I am still working on the details on the engine harness and running plumbing. I used a 5.3 truck motor, Z06 cam and valve train, used a alt/p/s bracket made by dirty dingo so the alt would clear the hood. My engine is rotating but have not flashed the pcm or installed the fuel rail.

epsylon9mm wrote:Forgot to follow up with a picture. Sanderson Headers fit perfectly.

Now it is on to the plumbing for fuel, coolant, and power steering

ynbad

Back to top Go down

Post  epsylon9mm Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:59 pm

Admin wrote:Don't waste your time calling RH.
Just call Sanderson, they have a set that fits perfectly. I've used them on three cars so far with no issues.
LS1 headers
They also make them in 1 5/8" as well as 1 1/2" Cool
No these won't fit the 944's so don't ask.

I bought the ls158 from Sanderson. Credit is to Admin as the one who pointed me in the right direction. Sounds like we are doing very similar swaps. I am not going to cam my 5.3 until after I get everything working, trying to keep my costs focused on the essentials as I am on a tight budget.

What year is your 928? Where are you mounting your remote oil filter?

epsylon9mm

Back to top Go down

What LS Exhaust Manifolds / Headers Empty oil filter adapter

Post  ynbad Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:24 pm

located on the frame rail right by the p/s pump. short run to oil outlets on engine and easy access to service. Mine is a1987 928s4. I'm a camero fuel rail and a vette fuel filter with a short return to the fuel tank from the filter.

ynbad

Back to top Go down

What LS Exhaust Manifolds / Headers Empty oil adapter

Post  ynbad Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:26 pm

ps. mounted adapter side ways with the filter facing the radiator to protect the filter from any flying objects under the car. Later I plan to put a belly pan underneath don,t want anthing sticking down.

ynbad

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next