944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
Power Steering Pump EmptyToday at 12:00 am by Raymond-P

» LEAKING TPC HYDROBOOST
Power Steering Pump EmptyYesterday at 11:46 pm by Raymond-P

» Best engine uprights/plates
Power Steering Pump EmptyYesterday at 11:09 pm by Raymond-P

» 944 Turbo TPC Radiator Install Help Needed
Power Steering Pump EmptyYesterday at 10:59 pm by Raymond-P

» Fesler Saratoga Top
Power Steering Pump EmptyYesterday at 4:44 pm by JW1970

» Rear coilover suspension setup
Power Steering Pump EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 3:30 pm by ThomasJoseph315

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Power Steering Pump EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

» LS 982 5speed project here
Power Steering Pump EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 am by Raymond-P

» LT1 Spark Plug make and model
Power Steering Pump EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm by Rob44

» 928 5-speed kit
Power Steering Pump EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 pm by LS982

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Power Steering Pump

5 posters

Go down

Power Steering Pump Empty Power Steering Pump

Post  Leva Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:26 am

What pumps are you guys running with your swaps? I went with a cheap Cardone rebuilt in my LS3 swap w/ mustang hydroboost which whines like crazy and now seems to be leaking. Thinking of spending the money on a fresh GM oem pump this time around. Anyone have success with the stock GM pump? Seems many are running the Turn1 pumps. These are 500 bucks plus these days. Is this the only viable option with these swaps and the stock rack? I am aware of the pressure differences etc. But reading some earlier posts, seems some have had success with the stock Fbody pumps.

Leva

Back to top Go down

Power Steering Pump Empty Re: Power Steering Pump

Post  Rich L. Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:39 pm

I tried a stock LS1 pump with the Porsche steering rack but it didn't work out. The steering feel was off and the seals blew the first day out. This was without any hydro-boost, my brakes are manual. I then bought a Turn One pump and got a rebuilt rack, works perfect. YMMV

Rich
Rich L.
Rich L.

Bruce da moose likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Leva Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:45 pm

Thanks for the insight Rich. Anyone know of a way to modify a stock pump to accomodate the rack? Ultimately, it seems that is what Turn One is doing, considering their starting point is oem pumps.

Leva

Back to top Go down

Post  spence Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:47 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I always wondered if that pump would work. Its from a jeep with a hydraulic powered cooling fan. I'm not sure of its pressure and flow rates.

You could always add one of these to adjust the pressure
spence
spence

Back to top Go down

Post  spence Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:18 am

2002 wj jeep PUMP MOTOR SPECIFICATIONS 4.7L

ENGINE - RELIEF PRESSURE ± 50 - FLOW RATE (GPM)
4.7L ----9653 kPa (1900 psi) ---- 1100 RPM 2.4-2.8 GPM Minimum @ 200 psi
spence
spence

Back to top Go down

Post  Leva Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:44 am

Interesting. Looks identical to the fbody pump. Wondering if anyone ever tried this. I remember this pump being mentioned somewhere in the forum before.

Leva

Back to top Go down

Post  spence Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:30 am

Ya, the body of the pump should be the exact same. I think the porsche rack operates at 1800psi?? The jeep pump might be a good match for power steering and hydroboost
spence
spence

Back to top Go down

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:52 am

Leva wrote:What pumps are you guys running with your swaps? I went with a cheap Cardone rebuilt in my LS3 swap w/ mustang hydroboost  which whines like crazy and now seems to be leaking. Thinking of spending the money on a fresh GM oem pump this time around. Anyone have success with the stock GM pump? Seems many are running the Turn1 pumps. These are 500 bucks plus these days. Is this the only viable option with these swaps and the stock rack? I am aware of the pressure differences etc. But reading some earlier posts, seems some have had success with the stock Fbody pumps.

Having built several of these cars for customers, I have learned the do's and don'ts. I don't use the stock GM pump any longer as I have had many that caused problems. I had 2 different cars that would boil the fluid out of the pump lid. At first I thought they were overheating, but it didn't really make sense. I added power steering coolers to both, which didn't help at all. Both of these were street cars only, with very mild built engines. I eventually changed to the turn1 pumps and had no more problems. I don't even try to use the stock pumps any longer. Plus the fact that stock gm pumps are getting very hard to find.
Hotrodz of Dallas
Hotrodz of Dallas

Back to top Go down

Power Steering Pump Empty P/S pumps

Post  gwistrup Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:50 am

Another thing to take into consideration is the poor quality of ANY remanufactured auto parts. It seems as though a good OEM recycled part is better than a remanufactured part. Even if the Jeep pump has better specs compared to the GM pump, how long will a remanufactured one last? If the Jeep pump is better, maybe an OEM one or a good used one would be worth a try.
I have the original GTO pump on my car and it seems to be working OK. It started to whine after I added a cooler. Weird.
Gil

gwistrup

Back to top Go down

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:07 am

gwistrup wrote:     Another thing to take into consideration is the poor quality of ANY remanufactured auto parts.  It seems as though a good OEM recycled part is better than a remanufactured part.  Even if the Jeep pump has better specs compared to the GM pump, how long will a remanufactured one last?  If the Jeep pump is better, maybe an OEM one or a good used one would be worth a try.  
    I have the original GTO pump on my car and it seems to be working OK.  It started to whine after I added a cooler.  Weird.
Gil

Especially with Cardone reman parts. I refuse to use that brand for anything.
Hotrodz of Dallas
Hotrodz of Dallas

Back to top Go down

Post  Leva Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:20 am

Yeah, I keep learning my lesson with the Cardone parts. But sometimes its the only choice available and hit or miss.

I know i did not do myself any favors cheaping out on a rebuild. Now i need to decide if im going to gamble on a better oem or take the plunge with a turn 1 and hopefully be done 🤔

Leva

Back to top Go down

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:34 am

Leva wrote:Yeah, I keep learning my lesson with the Cardone parts. But sometimes its the only choice available and hit or miss.

I know i did not do myself any favors cheaping out on a rebuild. Now i need to decide if im going to gamble on a better oem or take the plunge with a turn 1 and hopefully be done 🤔

This is a brand new GM pump for sale on ebay.

Hotrodz of Dallas
Hotrodz of Dallas

Back to top Go down

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:36 am

There's also this pump, but you'd have to source an Fbody reservoir to make it work correctly

Hotrodz of Dallas
Hotrodz of Dallas

Back to top Go down

Post  spence Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:58 pm

A stock f body pump will probably just continue to boil the fluid. The porsche rack wants a higher pressure than the pump can handle and will run the fluid thru the relief valve of the pump and heat it up. I'd try a junkyard wj jeep pump and see what happens.
spence
spence

Back to top Go down