944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Best engine uprights/plates
New to forum.  Gonna resurrect my 968 from the dead! EmptyToday at 12:39 pm by Nath1142

» Fesler Saratoga Top
New to forum.  Gonna resurrect my 968 from the dead! EmptyToday at 12:16 am by Ironworker613

» 944 Turbo TPC Radiator Install Help Needed
New to forum.  Gonna resurrect my 968 from the dead! EmptyYesterday at 4:14 pm by SpeedRacer11

» Rear coilover suspension setup
New to forum.  Gonna resurrect my 968 from the dead! EmptyYesterday at 3:30 pm by ThomasJoseph315

» LEAKING TPC HYDROBOOST
New to forum.  Gonna resurrect my 968 from the dead! EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:22 pm by lowform

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
New to forum.  Gonna resurrect my 968 from the dead! EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:12 pm by lowform

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
New to forum.  Gonna resurrect my 968 from the dead! EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

» LS 982 5speed project here
New to forum.  Gonna resurrect my 968 from the dead! EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 am by Raymond-P

» LT1 Spark Plug make and model
New to forum.  Gonna resurrect my 968 from the dead! EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm by Rob44

» 928 5-speed kit
New to forum.  Gonna resurrect my 968 from the dead! EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 pm by LS982

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

New to forum. Gonna resurrect my 968 from the dead!

3 posters

Go down

New to forum.  Gonna resurrect my 968 from the dead! Empty New to forum. Gonna resurrect my 968 from the dead!

Post  beeza Mon May 11, 2020 1:31 pm

Hi all,

Newbie to the forum. Actually I'm a newbie to the concept that I could fit American muscle into my German sports car!

Time to introduce myself. I am a Brit expat living in the Dominican Republic. I bought my 968 cabriolet eleven years ago and did a full restoration on it. It's my baby and nothing comes close to blasting along the roads in the Caribbean with the top down. A million smiles per gallon. And it's unique, the only 968 in the country.

I get most of my parts from eBay, Pelican Parts or DC automotive and ship them here via a courier from Miami. That has always been my biggest cost, shipping parts from the US to DR. And any item with a price tag of over $200 has an extra 28% VAT added on. So it makes shopping interesting and I have to break down each purchase individually to make sure I don't go over that $200 threshold.

But alas I am now looking into spending big bucks.

My stock 3.0L variocam engine sprang a coolant leak. At some stage in its life, a previous owner put water in the cooling system, which started a tiny patch of corrosion on the rear engine block wall. That corrosion eventually gave way to loss of coolant and subsequent engine overheat. During our Coronavirus lockdown, I got down to stripping the engine and found a large crack in #4 cylinder wall. The engine is toast.

Browsing the internet, I stumbled on the option of fitting the Chevy V8 engine and I was hooked! I have convinced myself that it makes so much more sense to fit a reliable, modern and much more powerful engine into my car, rather than spending the money on restoring an old and troublesome engine, which is far too delicate and expensive.

So my goal is to fit the right engine for the right price. Considering it's a cabriolet, I don't need tons of power. The stock 968 drivetrain and brakes should be sufficient as they are. I have the six speed manual transmission and I want to keep the power steering and A/C.

So my first question is what would be the best donor car to look for to get as many of the required components to go with the engine? I was thinking along the lines of an 2005 Corvette with the LS1.

beeza

Back to top Go down

New to forum.  Gonna resurrect my 968 from the dead! Empty Re: New to forum. Gonna resurrect my 968 from the dead!

Post  beeza Mon May 11, 2020 1:49 pm

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]

beeza

Back to top Go down

New to forum.  Gonna resurrect my 968 from the dead! Empty Re: New to forum. Gonna resurrect my 968 from the dead!

Post  beeza Mon May 11, 2020 1:54 pm

beeza

Back to top Go down

New to forum.  Gonna resurrect my 968 from the dead! Empty donor car

Post  smkn951 Mon May 11, 2020 3:35 pm

Awesome another build!!
well the only component i needed from the donor car was the engine, pcm and harness. now that I'm knee deep in this, i gave up on the reprogramming the original PCM and put aside my rebuilt harness and went with the Holley terminator x system.
aside from the engine out of the 2004 GTO, i didn't need anything else.
you mentioned a corvette, the bell housing i bought is from a corvette and it's single piece and i modified it to fit the torque tube adapter plate and throw out bearing.
maybe someone can chime in on what else may be used form a donor car.
again welcome and hope to see more of your build.
smkn951
smkn951

Back to top Go down

Post  beeza Mon May 11, 2020 5:12 pm

Thanks!

If I was to buy an '05 Vette engine as an example, are the ancillaries such as alternator, power steering pump, A/C compressor and bell housing in the right place to fit inside the engine bay?

The reason for the question is to get as many useful pieces with one straight purchase from a wrecker off eBay or Craiglist and get it shipped here to the DR.

For the kit components, I am looking at TPC.

I need to get my shopping list compiled to give me an idea on budget.

beeza

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. Mon May 11, 2020 9:51 pm

No, the Vette accessories don't really work. What you want is the '98 - '02 Camaro accessory drive for the easiest LS1 swap.
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down