944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» 944 Turbo TPC Radiator Install Help Needed
New guy with a few questions....I'm sorry! EmptyToday at 7:08 am by gwistrup

» Best engine uprights/plates
New guy with a few questions....I'm sorry! EmptyYesterday at 10:12 am by Nath1142

» LEAKING TPC HYDROBOOST
New guy with a few questions....I'm sorry! EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:22 pm by lowform

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
New guy with a few questions....I'm sorry! EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:12 pm by lowform

» Fesler Saratoga Top
New guy with a few questions....I'm sorry! EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 7:28 pm by JW1970

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
New guy with a few questions....I'm sorry! EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

» LS 982 5speed project here
New guy with a few questions....I'm sorry! EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 am by Raymond-P

» LT1 Spark Plug make and model
New guy with a few questions....I'm sorry! EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm by Rob44

» 928 5-speed kit
New guy with a few questions....I'm sorry! EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 pm by LS982

» Slave Cylinder Spacing from Clutch Fingers
New guy with a few questions....I'm sorry! EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 1:54 am by lowform

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

New guy with a few questions....I'm sorry!

+3
xschop
Luke714
TheCheat
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New guy with a few questions....I'm sorry! Empty New guy with a few questions....I'm sorry!

Post  TheCheat Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:58 pm

I'm sure these are half the threads on a site like this, new guys asking kinda stupid questions. But hopefully you're all ok with that.

So, I'm a 20 year old guy, just starting university, and (with my parents financial backing!) have picked up an '86 944 N/A. I got the thing for $1200CAD, it runs and only has some minor rust spots...but it it also had a small tree/large branch fall on it, so I'll need a new left front fender.

Anyway, I took the car to a guy who used to own a 944 for the timing belt, and it seems the engine has lots of little gremlins. Just lots of little things that really should be fixed. So, the plan now is to do a LS conversion for around 7K CAD (would have cost ~5K to fix the car). I'm not terribly power hungry, but around 400hp at the crank is what I'm aiming for, and low mileage on the engine would be nice.

There's a junkyard near me with a rolled 2010 camaro SS (4000km on the car), so I'm optimistically hoping that won't be more than 4k, it runs and the car still drives... If not, has anyone had any experience with the L92? The place also has an '07 escalade with 25k on it with the 6.2L. And if anyone has other suggestions for the engine, I'm very open.

Second last thing, kits! I know I'm on a budget, but I'm not much good at fabrication. And I don't have my own garage to work on this. So I'd like to keep it relatively short and simple (keyword: relatively) Brake and suspension upgrades I'll worry about later, those I can do in the driveway, I want this car up and running within a few weeks (of being at the shop most of the day).

Last thing, what do I not want with this engine? I read the exhaust headers won't fit, and the oilpan will need to be changed...anything else I don't want to grab?

Anyway, sorry this is so long! But yeah, I'm stoked for this project. School needs to hurry up and finish...and it's just started... Crying or Very sad
TheCheat
TheCheat

Back to top Go down

New guy with a few questions....I'm sorry! Empty Re: New guy with a few questions....I'm sorry!

Post  Luke714 Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:18 pm

Good luck with a few weeks unless you're having it done down in Texas or something Very Happy

Some things that come to mind:

-You'll have to change the brake master cylinder no matter what (the stock vacuum assist won't fit)

-I don't think the steering is too heavy at all with the power rack without a PS pump, but many people prefer to swap a non power rack into the car and get rid of the PS system all together.

-The conversion manual is a must in my opinion (if you're doing the work yourself):

-You'll want to used a solid or poly bushing on the transaxle, without it the transaxle likes to twist around too much and destroy axles. I just used a solid billet mount, but there are a lot of options out there and I don't have any experience with the others. I'm happy with my LR mount.

-I know you said no suspension upgrades but I would strongly advise you at least upgrading the front ball joints. Because you usually have to space the cross member down some it makes them even more prone to failure than usual. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

-Check out the build threads on this forum

-Don't install the MAF backwards (inside joke) Embarassed

Hope this helps,
Luke

Last edited by Admin on Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : un needed info!)
Luke714
Luke714

Back to top Go down

New guy with a few questions....I'm sorry! Empty Re: New guy with a few questions....I'm sorry!

Post  TheCheat Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:33 pm

Thanks for the advice.

By a few weeks I meant more like >3 months (summer vacation from university) and I'll have 2 guys helping me at least semi-regularly.

The PS is already dead on it. It's not terrible...but yeah, I'd probably want to change to a manual rack, or hook up the power steering if that's not too ridiculous.

The rest of the stuff I'll most likely do later. As I can afford it, or talk my parents into. The ball joints and transaxle aren't in the greatest shape, i might just wait 'til they get pretty bad/fail. The turbo trans is better suited to the V8's anyway, isn't it?

And...is my budget realistic?

Thanks again!
TheCheat
TheCheat

Back to top Go down

Post  Luke714 Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:42 pm

I've got about 8500 in my swap right now, that includes suspension stuff though. I'll post my spreadsheet sometime. You tend to get nickel and dimed to death near the end if you're not careful. Yeah, I did my swap alone this summer while working 65hr weeks so you can do it. I machined all my own parts though, so you could get it done quicker if you buy pre-made. I wouldn't wait for the ball joints to fail.... The transaxle maybe, they aren't hard to take in and out. If you could get a turbo box that would be much better.
Luke714
Luke714

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:19 pm

Don't be sorry, welcome to the madness. What are they asking for the 6.2? Just remember that you will have to change the intake or get a VERY large hood scoop if you keep the intake to the Escalade Very Happy
If you follow all the threads here on parts options and install techniques, you can easily get a swap done under your $7K goal.
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCheat Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:07 am

Mmmmm big hood scoop....

Wait, what am I saying?!?! Besides, if I got the escalade engine, I think I'd start getting urges to somehow throw 22' spinners on this thing, along with underglow, a tv, and maybe start acting like a douche.

Not generalizing or anything...

And I just realized that the junkyard with those engines also has an '83 944 with 18,000 kms showing on it...and the only obvious damage in the pictures is a ton of rust on the hood and front left fender...weird.

If I pull an engine from a car...do I want to keep the bellhousing with it? Or do we have to use the C5 or RH bellhousing?

Anyway! Thanks again for all the advice.
TheCheat
TheCheat

Back to top Go down

Post  Luke714 Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:40 am

You'll either have to use a bellhousing from a C5 with an adapter plate (most cost effective), the RH bellhousing or a quicktime housing.
Luke714
Luke714

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:38 am

I'll just go ahead and be the one to advise against it.

Buy a reliable car and focus on school. Even with a v8, a 944 will never be as reliable as a modern beater, and certainly nowhere as cheap. Once you're done with school, then worry about a project.
Porch
Porch

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCheat Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:42 am

Oh, don't worry, I have another car I can drive to school if this one breaks, 2008 Mazda3, so it should be reliable! And it's mainly my parents money (they're awesome like that), they said I might have to put a grand or 2 towards it, which i can easily afford (thank you awesome job). And I'll be doing the work over my summer break, when I have no school to worry about. I mean, I'll have to put in a bit of time during the school year to research and get ready for it, but that's ok, mechanical engineering isn't that time consuming....right?? Wink

Edit: I just realized how spoiled-brat sounding I am. I'm sorry! I promise I'm not!!! Just very, very lucky.
TheCheat
TheCheat

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:49 am

Yeah, and don't let them catch you watching vids of the 948 in action either. The stimulus checks might dry up Razz
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  Luke714 Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:56 am

Where are you going for Mechanical Engineering? About all I was able to manage on my 948 during school between FSAE and engineering classwork was research. But you're right, just prep for the summer and you'll be able to make good progress once you can start. The only work I did before the summer was tear the old car apart during spring break and machine some of the parts.
Luke714
Luke714

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:04 am

If you've got a reliable car then you're set. Just don't believe for a minute that you'll finish ahead of schedule or under budget Wink
Porch
Porch

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCheat Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:50 am

Hmm, I might see you in Michigan for FSAE if you're still doing it Luke.

Just heard back from the junkyard. $8k for the Camaro, $5k for the Escalade. Well, that's not too far off from my optimistic dream of 4k. Hmm. Wonder if I could barter a bit.

Well, I've got plenty of time to keep searching!
TheCheat
TheCheat

Back to top Go down

Post  spence Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:43 pm

Keep in mind the cost of shipping and customs fee's, since most the part's you're going to need are going to be comming from the US. Also, since you have a N/A you should think about the brakes, suspension and transmission. I think you'll need more than 7k canadian for a complete swap (depending on what engine you choose). Things add up quickly!! As I'm sure you know engines are alot more money in Canada for some reason. I'm doing a LT1 swap and I think I'll be at 6000$ (CAD) when I'm done.

I've got some buddies from Waterloo!! Welcome to the forum!
spence
spence

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCheat Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:59 pm

Thanks. Yeah, shipping and taxes suck.

As for brakes, suspension and transmission, those I'll do later, as they need to be done, or when I can get money (either I have extra or talk my parents into it). This project is gonna be a step-by-step thing, where I try and keep it driveable as much as possible, except the winter. The only thing is, I don't really have a good place to do this whole thing. I know a guy who's friend has a shop in Simcoe (almost 2 hrs away) and both the guy and know and his friend are willing, and excited to help when they can, but yeah, that step is still a ways off!
TheCheat
TheCheat

Back to top Go down

Post  spence Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:11 pm

I did mine over the summer a little bit each day in my driveway. I don't have a garage either; I just used plain old hand tools and an engine hoist...
spence
spence

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCheat Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:24 pm

I might do that if I had any hand tools and a hoist. But we only have basic hand tools at my house. So, like, screwdrivers, hammer, drill, a level, soldering iron, vice grips and a pair of adjustable wrenchs lol I doubt that's enough for an engine swap
TheCheat
TheCheat

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:14 pm

So, you have no tools, lacking funds, no garage, no parts, standard NA car, little experience, youre in Canada, student = no time....

Yes its doable! Laughing

Just messin' with ya. Very Happy

Exclamation Seriously though, you MUST do brakes and renew the suspension to handle the V8. These are not "do it later" things. If you get the V8 in the car and you havent done the necessary upgrades, you could hurt/kill yourself. Why? Because, what everyone wants to do first and immediately after they get the engine in is drive it. Youll also want to puch it too..... this is where the car takes over and theres little to nothing you can do about it.

Always make sure the car is mechanically sound before upping the horses.... Please.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCheat Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:54 pm

The suspension is in decent shape right now. The brakes would probably be done VERY shortly after I get the thing up and running/as the last step in my conversion. I'll admit they're a little bit sketchy now, so yeah, I'll be looking at upgrading them for sure. Although to be fair, one thing I'm going to be doing once I get the car back for the fall (should be any day now...) is take it to a big parking lot or an empty country road and see what those brakes can even do right now.

I want to have fun with the car, for sure, but I'm not gonna be wreckless about it. If I want to push it hard I'll find a track, or autocross or something. On the road I'm just hoping it's something that's enjoyable to drive. Plenty of power if I need to make a country road pass, which happens a lot on my commute, I like going 100km/h on the 80's, there's some who don't...and some who go faster than me. Going fast in a straight line doesn't thrill me. It's going fast through the corners that I like, and for normal driving, braking from your cruising speed to your corner speed shouldn't but too much stress on the brakes.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that I know the brakes will need to be upgraded, and soon, but until then I would still drive it, but knowing full well the brakes aren't up to par with the rest of the car. Especially the engine. But thanks for the concern. There's a lot of kids my age who only car about straight line speed. Which is why none of my friends are driving my car! (and the fact that almost none of them can drive stick....I need better friends tongue )
TheCheat
TheCheat

Back to top Go down

Post  Luke714 Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:56 pm

Yeah, we're hoping for our first competition this May with FSAE. We just registered.

I agree about the suspension, it won't cost all that much extra and it's necessary. Jay at Ground Control is great to work with!

I got just an LS1 engine for 2800 US, it had everything I needed including the computer, harness and everything. I only had to buy a MAF and replace the plug wires. You don't need the whole car necessarily, just make sure it's a complete pull.
Luke714
Luke714

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCheat Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:02 pm

Yeah, I know about the pull, not the whole car. I told him that. But yeah, makes sense, seeing how much a brand new LS3 crate is...

We should drive our 944's to Michigan and compare....except mine would still have the stock engine at that point...with all it's issues....driving all the way to Michigan....ok nevermind, mine's staying at home. But if you decide to take yours (which would actually be surprising, it's a pretty long trip for you) I'd love to see it.
TheCheat
TheCheat

Back to top Go down

Post  subterfuge Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:05 pm

You are going to need a solid set of wrenches and sockets just to maintain the vehicle, this is something you should invest in regardless of whether you are doing an engine swap or not. You can pick up a serviceable set of craftsman or husky (I think they both have lifetime replacement if you break them) for less than $100. Then you can add any specialty pieces or duplicates (you can never have too many 13mm wrenches or sockets with a 944) as needed. When you have a birthday, have grandma get you some of the cool stuff like ratcheting wrenches. This is just stuff you need for life, forget about a V8 swap.

Last edited by subterfuge on Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
subterfuge
subterfuge

http://www.subterfugedesignworks.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCheat Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:12 pm

Oh, I know. I'll get them. But an engine hoist might be a bit harder to come by... I guess I could ask the high school auto teacher (he still remembers me, I think I was one of his favourites) he might let me borrow one of theirs for the summer... Good old brainstorming.
TheCheat
TheCheat

Back to top Go down

Post  subterfuge Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:15 pm

if it comes down to it, you might have to rent one for a few days, and just make sure you have the logistics of the swap ready for it so you can get it done.
subterfuge
subterfuge

http://www.subterfugedesignworks.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:00 pm

So, you have no tools, lacking funds, no garage, no parts, standard NA car, little experience, youre in Canada, student = no time....

Well, it's kind of mean, but it's also kind of true.

Look--if the timing belt and "a bunch of little gremlins" are enough to scare you off...there's no reason you should even THINK about attempting a v8 swap! This is FAR from an easy thing to do!
Porch
Porch

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum