944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» 944 Turbo TPC Radiator Install Help Needed
Crossmember modification EmptyToday at 9:38 am by SpeedRacer11

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
Crossmember modification EmptyToday at 12:00 am by Raymond-P

» LEAKING TPC HYDROBOOST
Crossmember modification EmptyYesterday at 11:46 pm by Raymond-P

» Best engine uprights/plates
Crossmember modification EmptyYesterday at 11:09 pm by Raymond-P

» Fesler Saratoga Top
Crossmember modification EmptyYesterday at 4:44 pm by JW1970

» Rear coilover suspension setup
Crossmember modification EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 3:30 pm by ThomasJoseph315

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Crossmember modification EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

» LS 982 5speed project here
Crossmember modification EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 am by Raymond-P

» LT1 Spark Plug make and model
Crossmember modification EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm by Rob44

» 928 5-speed kit
Crossmember modification EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 pm by LS982

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Crossmember modification

+4
Jim7
Marky522
xschop
Porch
8 posters

Go down

Crossmember modification Empty Crossmember modification

Post  Porch Thu May 20, 2010 2:17 pm

Since i'm re-doing stuff, i was interested in what some people had done to the stock crossmember: Drilling the control arm mounting hole up ~5/8" to make the control arm level again (and not using the spacer on the rear of the control arm).

In the picture i'm thinking of, the person had also welded a plate across the bottom for additional bracing. Does anyone have any pictures or information on that?
Porch
Porch

Back to top Go down

Crossmember modification Empty Re: Crossmember modification

Post  xschop Thu May 20, 2010 4:29 pm

The x-member can be set up on a Bridgeport and Line-Bored at the control arm mount holes.
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch Thu May 20, 2010 5:01 pm

I think it would be pretty easy to do even with just a press and some careful measurements, but i was looking for some pictures and some feedback from anyone who's done it first!
Porch
Porch

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Thu May 20, 2010 5:08 pm

1.25" upwards will get you in the "sweet spot" where there is thicker casting and far enough from the old holes to where structural integrity is not affected. My next swap will be line bored with 1.00" holes with 1.00" puck divits drilled for the factory 12mm Bolts and TIG welded in......
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch Thu May 20, 2010 5:58 pm

But then i'd have to move the crossmember further down, which means putting the rack at more of an angle. I think i'd rather keep it simple and just move it up by the 5/8" that my current blocks are moving it down, even if i have to pay someone to weld up the old holes or brace it at the bottom. Hmm...
Porch
Porch

Back to top Go down

Post  Marky522 Fri May 21, 2010 9:22 pm

I cut out the center of my crossmember, had plates welded on where i cut it, and fabbed a removeable center section out of 3x3 1/4 wall. and recreated the rack mounts out of 3/4 plate with the rack boss shape that was on the old x-member cut into it. My engine fits without shimming the crossmember, and the hood closes fine. Total cost, about $30

Mark

Marky522

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim7 Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:48 am

OK, I found this old post to bring up a question. If I drill the holes in the crossmember at a distance greater than the thickness of the spacer how will that effect the geometry as the control arm will be angle downward at the castor block after removing that spacer. The difference would be slight and I don't think it would matter but I like to hear the opinion of others on the subject?

Jim7

Back to top Go down

Crossmember modification Empty Crossmember drilling

Post  fliermike45 Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:23 pm

Piece of advice if you drill the cross member to adjust A arm geometry.
The A arm will hit the rear flange of the cross member when the A arm deflects upwards.
You will have to relieve a clearance radius on the rear flange. See pic.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

fliermike45

Back to top Go down

Post  gdopnt Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:37 pm

fliermike,
I see the relief you ground out. What was the center to center that you raised your mounting holes and did you leave out your rear spacers.
thanks sam

gdopnt

Back to top Go down

Crossmember modification Empty Answers

Post  fliermike45 Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:55 pm

3/4", no rear spacers.

fliermike45

Back to top Go down

Post  gdopnt Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:46 pm

also, how did you handle the bump steer?

gdopnt

Back to top Go down

Crossmember modification Empty Search

Post  fliermike45 Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:31 am

I hate to jump on your case but a big problem on this site is not reading previous threads/posts.
I posted a picture on July 5th of my bump steer blocks.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If you go back in time and read the threads you will see that this whole lowering/bump steer subject has been covered in detail.

Sorry to load up on you, good luck.

fliermike45

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim7 Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:29 am

Thank for the tip on clearance. I checked and it's not an issue, probably because I have custom A arms and spherical bushes.

Jim7

Back to top Go down

Crossmember modification Empty Re: Tubular cross member update

Post  Tehone Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:21 pm

fliermike45 wrote:I hate to jump on your case but a big problem on this site is not reading previous threads/posts.
I posted a picture on July 5th of my bump steer blocks.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If you go back in time and read the threads you will see that this whole lowering/bump steer subject has been covered in detail.

Sorry to load up on you, good luck.

fliermike45;

Thanks for providing the link.  Up until last week I as well was one of those that asked redundant questions after redundant question because I didn't understand where to find that "Advanced Search" option until a fellow member explained where to look.

I apologize to all that I may have inconvenienced as I didn't mean it to come across that way and I don't think anyone else did either.  

Today I see Admin has posted a really good explanation of where to find the "Advanced Search" option is and how to use it.

ps: I didn't know that the blocks were yours (oooppps) thought they were xschop's. I may need more info but I will read up first and if I can't find an answer I will holler.

Tehone

Back to top Go down

Post  gdopnt Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:12 pm

This site is a wealth of knowledge.  Knowledge in the wrong hands can become ungrateful and arrogant.  The honor earned in a true teacher is the ability to share without prejudice.  People who are willing to share are the ones you will learn the most from. A third grade teacher will teach the same thing to new students for 35 years before they retire.

gdopnt

Back to top Go down

Crossmember modification Empty Sharing

Post  fliermike45 Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:46 am

Gdopnt,
One purpose of this site is for members to share the information they acquire from performing the changes and upgrades to their cars. That information is then available for the members to freely use.

The challenge apparently was the confusion created by the two different search functions in the software, one was weak but the other is very powerful.
Admin (Eric) and I addressed the problem and you can read the advanced search instructions in a sticky posted by Eric.

No one wishes to deny knowledge to curious builders, but does one always ask the teacher which page of a book they should study when the key is to use the index to find the required topic for themselves.

Hope this clears the air.

fliermike45

Back to top Go down

Post  gdopnt Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Some people use the site to share interest and conversation. Yes some posts are repeated but like people are sharing like interests and with that they will evaluate their ability to start or finish this project. If I was going to Spend my money with Eric but I was beat like a dead dog on the web site over the search function I might go somewhere else or not start at all. You have 20 plus people all sharing required parts but setups are all different. No swap is the same. With that I believe the air can't be cleared.

gdopnt

Back to top Go down

Post  zeusrotty Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:33 pm

Some people should just pipe down. Some people know who those people are.

zeusrotty

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum