944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Best engine uprights/plates
'87 Turbo -> LS3 EmptyToday at 12:31 pm by Raymond-P

» Fesler Saratoga Top
'87 Turbo -> LS3 EmptyToday at 1:16 am by Ironworker613

» 944 Turbo TPC Radiator Install Help Needed
'87 Turbo -> LS3 EmptyYesterday at 5:14 pm by SpeedRacer11

» Rear coilover suspension setup
'87 Turbo -> LS3 EmptyYesterday at 4:30 pm by ThomasJoseph315

» LEAKING TPC HYDROBOOST
'87 Turbo -> LS3 EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 8:22 pm by lowform

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
'87 Turbo -> LS3 EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 8:12 pm by lowform

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
'87 Turbo -> LS3 EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 7:59 pm by JW1970

» LS 982 5speed project here
'87 Turbo -> LS3 EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 10:51 am by Raymond-P

» LT1 Spark Plug make and model
'87 Turbo -> LS3 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 4:07 pm by Rob44

» 928 5-speed kit
'87 Turbo -> LS3 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 11:09 pm by LS982

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

'87 Turbo -> LS3

4 posters

Go down

'87 Turbo -> LS3 Empty '87 Turbo -> LS3

Post  twofeetin Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:13 pm

Hurt my engine in 2013 just as my kids got busy - so, conversion took 8 years.  I forgot where I was and what I was planning so many times that I was miserable to be around.  Seems like I had to do everything twice.  Running great now - been back to the scene of the original crime (Willow Springs) twice.  So much effortless power on tap that my brother didn't want his 911 anymore - boring by comparison.

I paid extra for the EROD so I could get it through California emissions.  Everything is done except they are demanding the VSS signal come from INSIDE the transmission.  My head is about to explode.  Has anyone gotten their LS3 past CARB? (help!)

Anyway, here it is:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

T-bar delete, Bilsteins all around, Delrin bushings, M030 sways, 4 Cayman rear wheels, 968 caster blocks, Autopower half-cage, Sparco seats/harnesses, Momo steering wheel

Muffler shop found an oval exhaust tip that looks very similar to the original turbo exhaust.  Magnaflow resonator and muffler keeps it almost too quiet but I didn't want to get booted from track days.

So much time, I just kept adding stuff:
Odyssey battery to save some weight, HVAC delete replaced with Accusump under black cover, BMW hydroboost with reserve bomb by firewall, stainless steel power steering reservoir to handle extra volume (took me a long time to acquire even modest TIG skills - between 3D printing attempts and poor stainless steel versions, I probably built more than 12 of those things; I'll hate them forever); Ground Control camber plates and brace; Walbro fuel pump with Aeromotive regulator; Setrab oil cooler; power steering cooler;

In California, we have to have a check engine light.  Everyone else probably knows this but I was surprised to find an unused light in the dash that displays that message.  Found it when I swapped out the turbo cluster for the N/A version.

Thanks to all who went before me for their contributions to this board. Folks here have been really generous with their time and advice through the years to create this repository of knowledge.

twofeetin

Porsche951toLS3 likes this post

Back to top Go down

'87 Turbo -> LS3 Empty Re: '87 Turbo -> LS3

Post  chrenan Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:51 am

Interesting on the VSS signal being required to come from inside the transaxle. Your speedometer does pickup a toothed wheel signal from inside the transaxle to display your speedometer reading. Someone better with wiring and tuning than me could probably tap into that signal and use it for VSS purposes.

chrenan

Back to top Go down

Post  twofeetin Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:37 am

chrenan wrote:Interesting on the VSS signal being required to come from inside the transaxle. Your speedometer does pickup a toothed wheel signal from inside the transaxle to display your speedometer reading. Someone better with wiring and tuning than me could probably tap into that signal and use it for VSS purposes.

It is very frustrating given all the other meaningful issues that have been conquered and how ridiculously low this engine's emissions really are.  I have the typical reluctor wheel on the transaxle output flange.  For automatic transmissions, I guess people change that pulse train to modify shift points and I suppose having it accessible makes that easier but this is a manual transmission - I shift when I want to.  

Anyway, the speedo signal is an interesting thought.  I will do some research on that signal.  Even if it's the wrong pulse count, I might be able to scale it with a cheap adapter (Motorola or PIC controller chip).

Many thanks to you and anyone else who gives my dilemma any thought.

twofeetin

Back to top Go down

'87 Turbo -> LS3 Empty AC in LS3 944 Turbo

Post  Porsche951toLS3 Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:18 pm

If you ever want to put A/C into your motor, I did the full write up to get it done. You and I have the same LS3 so you may like the read. Let me know what you think.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Porsche951toLS3
Porsche951toLS3

http://n4cr@comcast.net

twofeetin likes this post

Back to top Go down

'87 Turbo -> LS3 Empty AC IN LS3 944 TURBO

Post  twofeetin Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:26 pm

Porsche951toLS3 wrote:If you ever want to put A/C into your motor, I did the full write up to get it done.  You and I have the same LS3 so you may like the read.  Let me know what you think.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Impressive write-up!  I've taken ALL of the HVAC stuff out of my car (Accusump where the fan used to be) so I don't see myself going back to AC but maybe the next owner will choose a different course.  If so, they will be lucky to have such a clear recipe to follow.  Thanks!

twofeetin

Porsche951toLS3 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:50 am

Maybe you could 3d print a cover that bolts to trans and completely enclosed the vss sender. Leave an opening big enough for the axle to clear. Technically that would be internal then.
Hotrodz of Dallas
Hotrodz of Dallas

Back to top Go down