944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» 951 Transaxles For Sale
TPC Motor Mount Bushing Upgrade EmptyYesterday at 6:44 pm by Raindoc

» Turbo Transaxle wanted
TPC Motor Mount Bushing Upgrade EmptyYesterday at 4:26 pm by Raindoc

» Adapter plate
TPC Motor Mount Bushing Upgrade EmptyTue May 07, 2024 3:06 pm by Rob44

» LEAKING TPC HYDROBOOST
TPC Motor Mount Bushing Upgrade EmptyWed May 01, 2024 8:32 am by Rob44

» Fesler Saratoga Top
TPC Motor Mount Bushing Upgrade EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 8:28 am by JW1970

» Parts availability for general maintenance?
TPC Motor Mount Bushing Upgrade EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 10:36 pm by zenon

» What coilover spring rates are you running with torsion bar removed?
TPC Motor Mount Bushing Upgrade EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 10:24 pm by zenon

» 944 Turbo TPC Radiator Install Help Needed
TPC Motor Mount Bushing Upgrade EmptySun Apr 28, 2024 9:38 am by SpeedRacer11

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
TPC Motor Mount Bushing Upgrade EmptySun Apr 28, 2024 12:00 am by Raymond-P

» Best engine uprights/plates
TPC Motor Mount Bushing Upgrade EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 11:09 pm by Raymond-P

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

TPC Motor Mount Bushing Upgrade

4 posters

Go down

TPC Motor Mount Bushing Upgrade Empty TPC Motor Mount Bushing Upgrade

Post  Raymond-P Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:45 am

Just as I was about to install my LS motor, Kent Marr, the owner of TPC, reached out to me personally regarding my TPC motor mounts.  He noticed when reading my post that I purchased those motor mounts back in 2014 and knew immediately that I had a problem on my hands.

Turns out that back in the day, TPC used Speedway urethane suspension bushing and they have not performed well, with various reports of bushing damage.  They were too soft and too thin.

Kent’s business response was to completely overhaul the motor mount fabrication process for tighter tolerances, improved welding procedures, and to upgrade the bushings to PU 95A pieces which are polyurethane that has a Shore A hardness of 95 durometers.  That’s about as hard as rubber bushings get, and it’s super durable.  In addition, the bushing length was increased about 50% for better contact with the steel sleeve insert, and the bushing flanges got about 30% thicker.
Here's a good chart (and link) I found that explains Polyurethane bushing hardness and applications:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The best part was Kent graciously hooked me up with the new bushings and matching steel sleeves via 2-Day Priority Mail, and I have already installed them.  Below is the process I used to change out the old bushings.  It was pretty simple.

<New TPC PU 95A Bushings and Steel Sleeves>

<PU 95A Bushing Close-up>

I used a 9/16” 3/8” drive socket and short extension as a drift to push the old steel sleeve through both the old bushings.  After getting started I switched the bottom socket to a 24mm ½” drive deep socket so I could drive the sleeve through the second bushing as well.

<9/16” 3/8 drive socket drift>                                                      <24 mm ½” drive deep well base>

Once out, I noticed there was a coating of lithium grease between the bushing and the upright housing so I cleaned that up and replaced it with new grease.

To install the new bushings, I just set the flange end on the vise, carefully lined up the upright housing over the top end, threw on some cardboard layers to protect the powder coat and gave the housing a brisk hit with a small hammer.   The bushing started in easy enough and several light blows later it was fully seated.   Rinse and repeat for the remaining 3 bushings.

<Old Bushings Out>                                                                           <New Bushing Going In>

For posterity, I recorded the dimensions of the new steel bushing sleeves and final bushing assembly and compared them to my original units. Overall the new bushing assembly has about 1 mm of play fore and aft in the mounting plate and the steel sleeves have about 1 mm of extra clearance as well.  Overall this may give some flexibility to connection of the drivetrain to the chassis as there is little room for error.

Old Bushing Setup           New Bushing Setup
Overall Bushing Width:        61 mm                            60 mm
Steel Sleeve OD:                19.14 mm                        18.09 mm
Steel Sleeve ID:                 12.77 mm                        13.13 mm
Steel Sleeve Length:           60.83 mm                        59.15 mm
Thru Bolt (1/2"-13, Grade 5): 12.6 mm

To fill the space and as an added rust preventative, I coated the through bolts with a layer of Permatex Permashield. It’s non-hardening and should stay put.

<Upgraded Passenger Side Mount>                                                            <Problem Areas>

So… I got everything all situated on both sides and torqued down all the bolts/nuts.   Unfortunately, upon further inspection, I now have some new problems areas as shown above.  confused

1. There is a gap between the back flange of the passenger side mounting plate and the new bushing.
2. The header tube is now touching the starter.

Problem Area 1:  This is the only location where there is a misalignment.  Most likely, this gap was not visible with the old urethane bushings because they compressed enough to hide it. There is no front flange gap, and there are no gaps in the driver’s side connection.  I’m leaning toward letting this ride unless someone knows it will be an issue down the road.

Problem Area 2: I’m not exactly sure how the 1/16" clearance I used to have disappeared, but I don’t want to modify the header tube. I would much rather purchase a smaller starter.   Anyone have a suggestion??? The starter I have is the stock 2002 Firebird starter.

I appreciate any feedback.
Raymond-P
Raymond-P

Back to top Go down

TPC Motor Mount Bushing Upgrade Empty Re: TPC Motor Mount Bushing Upgrade

Post  Rich L. Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:20 pm

Nice. I was one of the guys with bushings that failed in 2014. Glad Kent noticed and saved you that.

On the clearances, I suggest you go around and slightly loosen all the engine mount bolts and then go back through to re-tighten them. You can even let the engine idle and warm-up a bit while things are loose to let the engine settle into it's happy place. I've had odd vibrations a couple of times when reinstalling the engine that takes doing this extra step to fix. And it might find your lost clearance.

Good luck.
Rich
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymond-P Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:05 am

Rich L. wrote:Nice. I was one of the guys with bushings that failed in 2014. Glad Kent noticed and saved you that.

On the clearances, I suggest you go around and slightly loosen all the engine mount bolts and then go back through to re-tighten them. You can even let the engine idle and warm-up a bit while things are loose to let the engine settle into it's happy place. I've had odd vibrations a couple of times when reinstalling the engine that takes doing this extra step to fix. And it might find your lost clearance.

Good luck.
Rich

Thanks Rich!

The motor is not in the car just yet and I have no way of running it otherwise.  However, I already did what you suggested with the motor while on the engine hoist and I'm just about to post an update on my build thread.  Sorry to hear you had the bushing failure... I trust you're all set now.  

Thanks for the advice.  Once I get the motor fired up I'll give it a try.
Raymond-P
Raymond-P

Rich L. likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  robstah Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:28 am

When was this updated? I think I bought mine in 2015....

robstah

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymond-P Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:56 am

I just went back and checked my project build receipts and my actual TPC conversion kit purchase was in June 2013.

Yikes.... that was eight years ago and I'm still at it!! Embarassed

Kent from TPC will have to chime in to identify the actual dates he upgraded the motor mounts and also when he redesigned the long tube headers.
Raymond-P
Raymond-P

Back to top Go down

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:07 pm

Motor mount bushings were updated a couple of years ago. Headers were updated about 5-6 years ago I believe.
Hotrodz of Dallas
Hotrodz of Dallas

Back to top Go down