944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» 951 Transaxles For Sale
Considering 944 LS Swap EmptyYesterday at 6:44 pm by Raindoc

» Turbo Transaxle wanted
Considering 944 LS Swap EmptyYesterday at 4:26 pm by Raindoc

» Adapter plate
Considering 944 LS Swap EmptyTue May 07, 2024 3:06 pm by Rob44

» LEAKING TPC HYDROBOOST
Considering 944 LS Swap EmptyWed May 01, 2024 8:32 am by Rob44

» Fesler Saratoga Top
Considering 944 LS Swap EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 8:28 am by JW1970

» Parts availability for general maintenance?
Considering 944 LS Swap EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 10:36 pm by zenon

» What coilover spring rates are you running with torsion bar removed?
Considering 944 LS Swap EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 10:24 pm by zenon

» 944 Turbo TPC Radiator Install Help Needed
Considering 944 LS Swap EmptySun Apr 28, 2024 9:38 am by SpeedRacer11

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
Considering 944 LS Swap EmptySun Apr 28, 2024 12:00 am by Raymond-P

» Best engine uprights/plates
Considering 944 LS Swap EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 11:09 pm by Raymond-P

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Considering 944 LS Swap

3 posters

Go down

Considering 944 LS Swap Empty Considering 944 LS Swap

Post  riccardogale Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:31 am

I've recently restored an '86 944 Turbo race car that was very competitive in its day, then basically sat in a field for 15 years. First road test revealed serious issues with the engine, all of which can be resolved, but I am thinking maybe I just swap to LS instead. Would be looking at installing a +/-350hp motor, not looking for a beast.

I am concerned about the complexity and cost of an LS swap. The car is in Petaluma, CA. I am wondering if there is anyone local who has a ton of experience doing these swaps, and can give me guidance here. I have access to a shop and a pro tech, though I don't have to go that route. Mostly I think I am looking for a consultant. I am very happy to pay such a person for their time, it will be cheaper than the cost of making mistakes on the build!

Please hit me up if you're that guy, or you've got a suggestion. 415-271-2996, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thanks!

-Riccardo
riccardogale
riccardogale

Back to top Go down

Considering 944 LS Swap Empty Re: Considering 944 LS Swap

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas Sat May 01, 2021 12:57 pm

Hi Riccardo

Welcome to the forum and to the LS game. You will love the car with an LS. It's the way Porsche should have built it.

I have built several of these cars for clients. There are many quirks to building one and many options. Since yours is a track car, it's a much simpler build.

As far as having one built, it's not cheap. If you can do the work yourself or have someone willing to help, then it will save you thousands in labor cost. An average client pay LS swap for a street car is around $17-20k depending on engine chosen, and mods done to the engine. The better engines can make the cost go up a lot.
For a track car, it's probably closer to $14-16k. Swap kit parts generally run about $6-9K plus engine and exhaust system.

If you decide to take on the project yourself, I would be glad to help you with consulting. I have helped several members here over the years. There are several people here that know these swaps well and most are willing to help with info as needed.
Hotrodz of Dallas
Hotrodz of Dallas

Back to top Go down

Considering 944 LS Swap Empty Re: Considering 944 LS Swap

Post  Raymond-P Mon May 10, 2021 8:58 pm

Greetings Riccardo,

I agree with Bob!  There are many seasoned veterans here on this forum that are happy to provide guidance. Their help is quite priceless.  

I've been on my LS-1 conversion adventure since 2014 and now that I'm retired, I’m pulling out all the stops to wrap up my project this summer and find my way to the track.

Over the years, I've tried my best to document my LS-1 build (cost included) and the conversion process with all the conversion components (again including costs).  I have a copy of the Greg Sloan conversion manual which is a good base line but the good folks on this forum have helped me tremendously with all the details and modern advances, and I have tried to share what I’ve learned from them.

If you’re still debating making the swap, just think how it would feel driving a car with about a 7#/HP ratio or better…  that’s my motivation!
Raymond-P
Raymond-P

Back to top Go down

Considering 944 LS Swap Empty Under way!

Post  riccardogale Tue May 11, 2021 5:37 pm

Thanks Ray!

Well since my post I've bit the bullet and my 944 LS conversion is already underway! I bought the kit from Kent and bought an L33 from A&A out of Florida, and am sourcing all the other bits and am getting tons of help from a knowledgeable forum member. So cool!
riccardogale
riccardogale

Hotrodz of Dallas, Maple Ridge and MikeS like this post

Back to top Go down