944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
Rear suspension questions EmptyToday at 9:56 am by ndog52

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Rear suspension questions EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 1:01 am by Raymond-P

» power steering pump
Rear suspension questions EmptyThu Mar 14, 2024 10:28 pm by Rond948

» VATS Bypass/Delete
Rear suspension questions EmptyThu Mar 14, 2024 8:38 pm by Rond948

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
Rear suspension questions EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
Rear suspension questions EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
Rear suspension questions EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

» Crank no start no fuel pump prime
Rear suspension questions EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 9:07 pm by Rond948

» What coilover spring rates are you running with torsion bar removed?
Rear suspension questions EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 10:15 am by dcoutofstep

» 924 that has been modified already
Rear suspension questions EmptyWed Feb 28, 2024 12:17 am by Gutterboy

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Rear suspension questions

3 posters

Go down

Rear suspension questions Empty Rear suspension questions

Post  DrBoost Fri May 02, 2014 1:53 pm

I searched and didn't find an answer. If I missed something, just let me know.
I purchased an in-progress project a while ago. The guy I bought it from said it has 944 turbo front suspension that has a wider track. He said he planned on swapping in the turbo rear suspension to get the same track width and get rid of the spacers that he had installed. So, I asked a guy parting out a few 944s if he had turbo rear suspension and why. He said the N/A and turbo rear suspensions are the same track width, just wheel width and wheel off-sets are different.
I have a '85 944 BTW.

So, how do I get rid of the spacers he has currently on the car but get the correct track width. It has 911 wheels, not sure of the width or off-set, but I can get that info if it helps.

Here's a pic of a front wheel if it helps.[img]Rear suspension questions 948_5[/img]

DrBoost

Back to top Go down

Rear suspension questions Empty Re: Rear suspension questions

Post  money pit 951 Sat May 03, 2014 8:33 am

You have a pre 1987 car that came with the early offset suspension/wheels. The seller wanted to fit the late offset wheels to the car, so he swapped the front and then spaced out the rear to make them fit.
The track of the early and late offset suspension is the same. Just your wheel choice will differ.
money pit 951
money pit 951

Back to top Go down

Post  944convert Sat May 03, 2014 12:05 pm

Rear suspension questions Offset10
Confusing I know. Another way to explain this...

The offset is the difference from the centerline of the wheel (which is midpoint between the outer rim surface and inner rim surface) to the inside mounting pad of the wheel where it meets and bolts to the hub.

The early 944 (pre '87) has a positive offset of 23mm, meaning the inside mounting pad of the wheel where it bolts to the hub is 23mm from the centerline. Positive offset meaning the mounting pad is closer to the outboard (front) side of the rim. Negative offset would be closer to the inboard (brakes) side.

Late 944 ('87 and newer) wheels have something around 52 to 55mm positive offset. Meaning the inside mounting pad of the wheel where it bolts to the hub has been moved, and is now slightly more than 1" further from the centerline. Positive offset rims are supposable stronger than negative offsets...so I've read.

Look closely for numbers near the valve...often you may see something like 55 cast on the wheel, meaning the offset is 55mm.

A simple 1" spacer keeps the wheel track about the same when using the wheels with a larger offset from a newer 944 or other Porsche models.  If no rear spacer was used, the inboard side of the tire could easily rub against the trunk area's sheet metal in the wheel well.

Or you could swap out the early rear suspension/axles to the late (and wider) 944 and not use rear spacers.

Still confusing  Suspect 

btw...if you were to have your rims widened by 4", (say from 7" to 11") they would probably add the 4" to the inboard side of the Porsche rims. In this example you would need to add 2" spacers to keep the wheel's centerline in the same place.

Last edited by 944convert on Sat May 03, 2014 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

944convert

Back to top Go down

Post  DrBoost Sat May 03, 2014 4:13 pm

Thanks guys, I get it now. The rear suspension is different from early to late then? I was talking to a guy who races these and he said the suspension was the same from beginning of production, to the end, and only the wheel offset was different.
I'm going to pick up late model rear suspension, I don't want spacers. Do I?

DrBoost

Back to top Go down

Post  944convert Sat May 03, 2014 4:28 pm

DrBoost wrote:...said the suspension was the same from beginning of production, to the end, and only the wheel offset was different.

Well not exactly. Yes, the offset is different...but some of the other components are different (longer/wider) as well, to make up for the offset change.

I'll let others opine on what they think about spacers...I know Porsche uses them...but they are less than 1".  I also know you NEED steel lug bolts & nuts. Just use a magnet to check. But if you swap to a 'late' rear end...you are correct, you will not need spaces.

If you do change out the back end, I would go with a late turbo..like an '89 or any 944S2 as they use the 25 spline axle/CV joints (verses 33 spline) of which I believe many of the component parts are stronger. Yeah, some '88 turbos have the 25 spline, but it's just like any other Porsche mid-year change, ya never know. Also the 968 uses the 25 spline half-shafts etc., but the axles/half-shafts may be different lengths...dunno.

944convert

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum