944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» 944 Turbo TPC Radiator Install Help Needed
Emissions and readiness monitors EmptyToday at 4:14 pm by SpeedRacer11

» Rear coilover suspension setup
Emissions and readiness monitors EmptyToday at 3:30 pm by ThomasJoseph315

» Best engine uprights/plates
Emissions and readiness monitors EmptyYesterday at 10:12 am by Nath1142

» LEAKING TPC HYDROBOOST
Emissions and readiness monitors EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:22 pm by lowform

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
Emissions and readiness monitors EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:12 pm by lowform

» Fesler Saratoga Top
Emissions and readiness monitors EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 7:28 pm by JW1970

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Emissions and readiness monitors EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

» LS 982 5speed project here
Emissions and readiness monitors EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 am by Raymond-P

» LT1 Spark Plug make and model
Emissions and readiness monitors EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm by Rob44

» 928 5-speed kit
Emissions and readiness monitors EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 pm by LS982

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Emissions and readiness monitors

+2
Marky522
docwyte
6 posters

Go down

Emissions and readiness monitors Empty Emissions and readiness monitors

Post  docwyte Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:27 pm

Hey guys, I'm having some issues with getting the car through emissions. My readiness monitors for my catalytic convertors, smog air pump and fuel evap are not showing as "complete".

What do I need to do coding wise in order for them to all show complete? Everything is there and operational as far as the cats and smog air pump. I'm using the Porsche fuel evap system, so I'm not sure how I make the Camaro PCM happy about that...

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Emissions and readiness monitors Empty Re: Emissions and readiness monitors

Post  Marky522 Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:19 pm

Hey Doc, you can set your readiness to ready with HPtuner, i believe you have to set it to not report DTC first. My PCM for my S10 actually shows the VIN of the S10, and all Tests except 2 as Completed since in NC i can pass with 2 tests not run as soon as i hook the battery to it!

Mark

Marky522

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:25 pm

How do you do that in HP Tuners? What specifically? I've done some searching on LS1Tech.com and there are a few different things being thrown around. One is to set all the codes to SES Enabled and No error reported. Is that what I need to do?

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Marky522 Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:46 pm

I found these, hopefully they help

Here's what you do. Go into HPTuners, and change all the O2 sensor codes to read "No error reported," and make sure the SES box IS CHECKED. This will make O2 readiness ALWAYS ready

Heres another

If you set ALL the DTCs to "no error reported" the readiness tests go to complete.

Marky522

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:25 pm

Thanks!

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Marky522 Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:20 pm

Np, i really want to play with HP Tuners, i cant wait to get my own!

Mark

Marky522

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:55 pm

docwyte wrote:Hey guys, I'm having some issues with getting the car through emissions. My readiness monitors for my catalytic convertors, smog air pump and fuel evap are not showing as "complete".
fwiw, I just learned a lot about this stuff while trying to get my 2000 Durango smogged last weekend.

Basically my CEL was on because it was throwing a transmission code, and any CEL being on fails you here in CA. So I tried clearing my codes. However, if you clear the codes, while it does clear the trans code and the trans code doesn't come back on immediately, the readiness monitors have also been cleared, and enough of them need to be "OK" in order to run the smog procedure.

So the balancing act was getting enough of the readiness monitors to read "OK" without driving so much that it tripped the trans code again.

Also, fwiw, according to my smog tech, vehicles (engines) up to year 2000 can have two readiness monitors reading as "incomplete," but 2001 and newer cars can only have one readiness monitor read "incomplete," in order not to fail the smog test.

Anyway, long story short, the way to get your readiness monitors to fire is to run the vehicle through the GM OBDII Drive Cycle:

General Motors (specific) OBD II Drive Cycle

Performing a GM OBDII Driving cycle:

1. Cold Start. In order to be classified as a cold start the engine coolant temperature must be below 122°F (50°C) and within 11°F (6°C) of the ambient air temperature at startup.

Do not leave the key in prior to the cold start or the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.

2. Idle. The engine must be run for two and a half minutes with the air conditioner on and rear defroster on. The more electrical load you can apply the better. This will test the O2 heater, Passive Air, Purge "No Flow", Misfire, and - if closed loop is achieved- Fuel Trim.

3. Accelerate. Turn off the air conditioner and all the other loads and apply half throttle until 55mph (88km/hr) is reached. During this time the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow diagnostics will be performed.

4. Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 55mph (88km/hr) for 3 minutes. During this time the O2 response, air Intrusive, EGR, Purge, Misfire, and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.

5. Decelerate. Let off the accelerator pedal. Do not shift, touch the brake or clutch. It is important to let the vehicle coast along gradually slowing down to 20 mph (32km/hr). During this time the EGR, Purge and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.

6. Accelerate. Accelerate at 3/4 throttle until 55-60mph (88-96 km/hr). This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 3.

7. Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 55mph (88km/hr) for five minutes. During this time, in addition to the diagnostics performed in step 4, the catalyst monitor diagnostics will be performed. If the catalyst is marginal or the battery has been disconnected, it may take 5 complete driving cycles to determine the state of the catalyst.

8. Decelerate. This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 5. Again, don't press the clutch or brakes or shift gears.
I was able to clear my codes and do enough of the Drive Cycle necessary to get me down to 2 "incompletes" and then zipped in and got it smogged before the trans code got tripped again...
acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  Marky522 Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:30 am

Technically you are correct, I do that juggling about once a month - i'm a NC State Inspector. I made my suggestion to him based on the knowledge that with HPTuners if you set the DTC to not report but still give it the ability to flag the CEL the Readiness monitors will automatically show Completed once you turn the ignition on. Of course the normal disclamer that i know for a fact that he only uses his car offroad for racing purposes, and would never drive it on public roads with such an obvious violation of Federal law confused

Mark

Marky522

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:31 am

I went out late last night and did a "drive cycle". I'll do another one today, then see if the monitors are reading "complete". If not then I'll start playing in HP Tuners again...

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Marky522 Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:11 am

Hey Doc, If your trying to set readiness the proper way the reason your Evap wont set is likely because you dont have a fuel gauge connected to the PCM. to get around this take Pin C1-23 and install a 150 ohm resistor connect to pin C2-54. You are also going to have to wire in the tank pressure sensor- Pin A gets spliced with the wire you ran from C1-23, Pin B goes to C2-64, C1-46. then I would just "T" a vac line to the purge line from the charcoal canister- that way you dont have to locate it on the tank.

I would do this and then dont run it till its completely cold as i believe if the PCM doesnt see the fuel level voltage change it will eventually set a fault. Since you only need it long enough to do a cold start and idle till warm. Here is the technical information from alldata

Drive cycle for EVAP-
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
DESCRIPTION
The purpose of this test is to satisfy the enable criteria necessary in order to execute the I/M readiness diagnostics for the EVAP System. The test can be used to set the I/M System Status indicators to YES. Service Bay Tests are included on the scan tool for some systems, depending upon the vehicle make and model. The test is designed to allow the EVAP Diagnostic Tests to run during service bay conditions. Before you perform either EVAP System Test, ensure that the vehicle meets the requirements listed in the Conditions for Running the DTC. Failure to meet the necessary requirements may produce inaccurate test results.

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING

Non Scan Tool Service Bay Test Equipped Vehicles

The barometric pressure is more than 75 kPa .
The fuel level is between 1/4 and 3/4 full.
The battery voltage is between 10-18 volts .
The test will initiate only after a cold Start. If the following conditions are met, the control module considers the engine to be cold:
The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) is between 3.75-30°C (39-86°F) .
The Intake Air Temperature IAT) is between 3.75-30°C (39-86°F) .
The difference between the ECT and the IAT is less than 8°C (14°F) .
Scan Tool Service Bay Test Equipped Vehicles

The barometric pressure is more than 75 kPa .
The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) is less than 80°C (176°F) .
The fuel level is between 1/4 and 3/4 full.
The battery voltage is between 10-18 volts .
DIAGNOSTIC AIDS
Extreme high or low ambient temperatures may prevent the EVAP System Tests from initiating. Inspecting the system prior to running the EVAP Service Bay Test may prevent having to repeat the test. A loose fuel cap may cause a Service Bay Test to abort or to fail, and prevent the I/M System Status from updating. A failed or aborted test will require the vehicle to cool down in order to meet the enable criteria to run another test.

The I/M System Status does not indicate whether the test has passed or failed, only that a decision was made. When all of the diagnostics for a specific system have run and passed, the I/M System Status will update to YES. If a test for a specific system has failed, the I/M System Status will update to YES, indicating a determination was made, even if all of the required tests have not run. When a failure occurs, the Emission Related DTC portion of the I/M System Status display will indicate the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) is requested. The I/M System Status also registers the number of DTCs.

The first failure of a type B DTC does not constitute a final determination of pass or fail, and will not update the I/M System Status to YES. A second trip is required, and all the conditions to run must be met in order for the test to run again. These conditions may include a partial to complete engine cool down.

The I/M System Status will update only when the DTC fails the second time, or all of the tests pass.

If there is an impending failure, the system may require more time to run the diagnostic than was allotted in the set procedure. If the test does not run after numerous attempts and no DTC is set, review the appropriate scan tool data list and the service information for an indication of why the test does not complete. Some tests may abort due to changes in the conditions while the test is running. For example, changes in engine load, such as a cooling fan or an A/C compressor clutch turning ON, may cause the test to abort.

If a diagnostic test is difficult to run, observe the I/M System Status display while maintaining the necessary enable conditions until the system status updates to YES.

For your Secondary air test, how far have your fuel trims moved,? you can read below if they are furthur than 4% it wont run.

Drive cycle for Secondary air-

DESCRIPTION
The purpose of this test is to satisfy the enable criteria that are necessary in order to execute the I/M readiness diagnostics for the Secondary Air Injection (AIR) System. Use this test in order to set the I/M System Status to YES. Before you perform this test, ensure that the vehicle meets the requirements listed in the Conditions for Running. Failure to meet the necessary requirements may produce inaccurate test results.

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING

Passive Test

The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) is between 70-110°C (158-230°F) .
The Intake Air Temperature (IAT) is between 2-100°C (36-21 2°F) .
The battery voltage is more than 11.7 volts .
The Active Test, if required, begins after the engine goes into Closed Loop Fuel Control.
Active Test

The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) is between, 70-110°C (158-230°F) .
The Intake Air Temperature (IAT) is more than 2°C (36°F) .
The engine is operating in Closed Loop Fuel Control.
The battery voltage is more than 11.7 volts .
DIAGNOSTIC AIDS
The AIR pump generally operates once per ignition cycle, usually during the initial start-up, before the engine goes into Closed Loop Fuel Control. Some systems will perform a Passive Diagnostic Test at this time. The Active Diagnostic Test is performed after the engine goes into Closed Loop Fuel Control. On vehicles that perform a Passive Test, the Active Test will only run if the Passive Test fails, or if the test is indeterminate. The Active Test may not run if the Passive Test passes.

If the diagnostic test does not run, observe the fuel trim correction. If the fuel trim correction is more than plus or minus 4 percent , the AIR System Test may not run. If the status does not update, the test outlined in this procedure can be repeated until the I/M System Status updates to YES.

The I/M System Status does not indicate whether the test has passed or failed, only that a decision was made. When all of the diagnostics for a specific system have run and passed, the I/M System Status will update to YES. If a test for a specific system has failed, the I/M System Status will update to YES, indicating a determination was made, even if all of the required tests have not run. When a failure occurs, the Emission Related DTC portion of the I/M System Status display will indicate the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) is requested. The I/M System Status also registers the number of DTCs.

The first failure of a type B DTC does not constitute a final determination of pass or fail, and will not update the I/M System Status to YES. A second trip is required, and all the conditions to run must be met in order for the test to run again. These conditions may include a partial to complete engine cool down.

The I/M System Status will update only when the DTC fails the second time, or all of the tests pass.

If there is an impending failure, the system may require more time to run the diagnostic than was allotted in the set procedure. If the test does not run after numerous attempts and no DTC is set, review the appropriate scan tool data list and the service information for an indication of why the test does not complete. Some tests may abort due to changes in the conditions while the test is running. For example, changes in engine load, such as a cooling fan or an A/C compressor clutch turning ON, may cause the test to abort.

If a diagnostic test is difficult to run, observe the I/M System Status display while maintaining the necessary enable conditions until the system status updates to YES.

And here is the drive cycle specifically for your catalyst

It looks like you need to have a clutch switch to the PCM so it knows the car is sitting still, also they say service brake, which i believe they mean parking brake but i dont think that wires into the PCM- Ill look.

If you STILL cant get it to pass and dont want to do the coding with HP tuners send me a PM, we may be able to work something out where i can loan you my scan tool which will allow you to command the test to run.

Mark

Last edited by Marky522 on Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:27 am; edited 3 times in total

Marky522

Back to top Go down

Post  Marky522 Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:16 am

Also what are the requirements you are trying to meet? Does it go by the year of the vehicle that you removed the engine from?

Update- I just tweaked a bunch of stuff in the previous post- hope this helps, Back to the Hell that my garage is = OVEN!!! Ill check back later.

Mark

Marky522

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:57 am

I need to meet the requirements for the camaro specs. All the readiness monitors need to be complete, they won't look at how I did it, so programming it with hp tuners is the easiest way vs doing all the wiring.

Then they do a drive cycle in a dyno with a probe in the tail pipe.

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:03 pm

Nice work Mark, Guru points for you!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:41 pm

944-LT1 wrote:Nice work Mark, Guru points for you!
+1. Excellent info!
acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  Marky522 Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:11 am

Thanks guys! Happy to help!!

Mark

Marky522

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:57 pm

Mark's second post on my thread is what it took. With HP Tuners you go into the programming and anything related to emissions (O2's, Cats, Secondary Air, Fuel Evap, Smog Pump) you set to 3- No error reported AND you make sure the SES is enabled.

With that setup the readiness monitors are instantly set to "complete".

I'm heading back to the inspector tomorrow early afternoon, once that gets signed off then I can finally get the car smog tested. Hopefully the magnaflow cats on the car now will do the job...

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:10 pm

Looks like an investment into HP Tuners is on my horizon...
acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthropraxis Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:29 pm

If the SES light is turned off with HP tuners, will the codes still be stored to the PCM and read with a scanner?
Arthropraxis
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:00 pm

Not with "no error reported" in HP Tuners. It won't log any fault codes...

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  87-944S Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:03 pm

Showing my ignorance here, despite owning HPTuners, what is SES? Embarassed
87-944S
87-944S

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:07 pm

Service Engine Soon, ie the check engine light

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  87-944S Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:09 pm

Ah, OK, same as the CEL? That is what I know it by.
87-944S
87-944S

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum