944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» 944 Turbo TPC Radiator Install Help Needed
Forward fitment of V6 to keep stock brakes - doable ? EmptyToday at 4:14 pm by SpeedRacer11

» Rear coilover suspension setup
Forward fitment of V6 to keep stock brakes - doable ? EmptyToday at 3:30 pm by ThomasJoseph315

» Best engine uprights/plates
Forward fitment of V6 to keep stock brakes - doable ? EmptyYesterday at 10:12 am by Nath1142

» LEAKING TPC HYDROBOOST
Forward fitment of V6 to keep stock brakes - doable ? EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:22 pm by lowform

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
Forward fitment of V6 to keep stock brakes - doable ? EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:12 pm by lowform

» Fesler Saratoga Top
Forward fitment of V6 to keep stock brakes - doable ? EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 7:28 pm by JW1970

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Forward fitment of V6 to keep stock brakes - doable ? EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

» LS 982 5speed project here
Forward fitment of V6 to keep stock brakes - doable ? EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 am by Raymond-P

» LT1 Spark Plug make and model
Forward fitment of V6 to keep stock brakes - doable ? EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm by Rob44

» 928 5-speed kit
Forward fitment of V6 to keep stock brakes - doable ? EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 pm by LS982

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Forward fitment of V6 to keep stock brakes - doable ?

+3
xschop
spence
Korenwolf
7 posters

Go down

Forward fitment of V6 to keep stock brakes - doable ? Empty Forward fitment of V6 to keep stock brakes - doable ?

Post  Korenwolf Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:57 am

Ok, here's a question for you all, firstly ignoring the (solvable) problem that the drive train would need extending, would it be feasible to install a V6 (any type) in the engine bay somewhat forward so that it clears the brake booster vacuum unit - thus preserving the stock braking system intact ?

Obviously a V6 where the left bank was shifted forward of the right would be better for this, I'm sure the old Ford 3.0 V6 I saw at my usual repair shop was of this type, so it wouldn't have to have been moved that far forwards to fit in...

Korenwolf

Back to top Go down

Forward fitment of V6 to keep stock brakes - doable ? Empty Re: Forward fitment of V6 to keep stock brakes - doable ?

Post  spence Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:01 am

Seems like alot of added work & cost for nothing.
spence
spence

Back to top Go down

Forward fitment of V6 to keep stock brakes - doable ? Empty Re: Forward fitment of V6 to keep stock brakes - doable ?

Post  Korenwolf Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:09 am

Can we steer clear of the cost/benefit/effort angle for now, in my view it's a case of how do you want to skin your cat.

Either somehow keep the stock brakes (in my case that includes ABS as well which as far as I can tell no one who's done a swap has kept or had to start with) which the modification of would likely cause me issues when I came to have the change certified (UK or NZ, not US) or modify the existing brake system in order to fit a V8.

I'm far less concerned about extending a couple of pieces of metal than I am about fiddling with my brake system and all the issues that entails...

Korenwolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Korenwolf Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:16 am

As for the actual engine I have in mind, one of the newer 24v GM LY7 style V6's would be the ideal candidate - provided it fits in !

Korenwolf

Back to top Go down

Post  spence Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:26 am

It's going to be more complicated than "extending a couple peices of metal"... goodluck

People have changed the master cylinder and kept ABS; The abs unit is separate
spence
spence

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:54 am

It's doable. You'll need an extention between the front TT flange and BH adapter. Then you'll need to cut, extend, and rebalance the rear trans coupler. This would be ideal in getting the TT shaft set perfectly into the pilot anyways.
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  Korenwolf Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:48 am

>Spence - ABS
That's interesting, I must have missed those posts in my searches. I wonder if the different master cylinder setup have any adverse effect on the performance of the ABS system ?

>X - Rear coupler.
I was more thinking of, given my torque tube bearings are on the way out, replacing the actual inner drive shaft with a longer (and toughened) unit at the same time. It has been mentioned to me that the shaft itself often wears where it connected to the coupler when the bearings get sloppy so changing it at the same time depending on condition is maybe an option also.

Korenwolf

Back to top Go down

Post  948 Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:59 am

X2 to what Xschop mentioned.

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:05 am

Just install a hydro boost type system and the ABS will work just fine, I've done enough of these and have had no complaints!. Got to be way cheaper.
You know the V6 has been done and Best I remember we kept the stock booster....

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.TexasPerformanceConcepts.com

Back to top Go down

Forward fitment of V6 to keep stock brakes - doable ? Empty Torque tube bearings

Post  fliermike45 Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:55 am

Korenwolf
Talk to Constantine, he is the Torque Tube Guru. I have seen the new inner shafts he makes. I'm sure he could customize as nexessary.

fliermike45

Back to top Go down

Post  spence Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:11 pm

I think he may be from the UK... It would cost him a fortune
spence
spence

Back to top Go down

Forward fitment of V6 to keep stock brakes - doable ? Empty V6 Engine

Post  fliermike45 Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:58 pm

Another possible V6 engine choice would be the GM 60 degree engine from the Camaro, S10 and Jeep.
It can be had as a 2.8, 3,2 and 3.4 and can use carbs or EFI. It's a narrow engine.

That's what's in my MGB with a Holley Carb.There is nearly 10 inches between the water pump and the radiator, quite a neat package.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

fliermike45

Back to top Go down

Post  Korenwolf Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:41 am

Constantine is where I'll be getting my new TT bearings at least will come from, he's getting a new batch soon so I'll be getting a set of them long before any drive shaft changes occur.

> fliermike45
Looks nice, plenty of room at the front for a huge intercooler !

> Admin
Question is, would the 60 degree V6 it fit in the 944 engine bay with the stock brake booster at the back, or did you manage to keep the booster and fit the engine to the rear with the older GM 3.8, which is a 54 degree 2 valve head IIFC ?

I'd personally prefer the 60 degree 24 valve unit myself provided it fits, and there's no major issues associated with the newer V6 engines, the latest Direct Injection version would be even nicer, but that could be a pain to get up and running with a stand alone ?!?!

It would be a lot simpler for me to get the car certified (UK, or NZ which is where I'll be when doing any swap so I have a garage bigger than a shoebox...) if the brake system is kept as stock, which is one of the main reasons for trying to find a way to do so, as swapping the engine for a similar powered unit is easy enough to get through, but when you start seriously playing with the suspension or brakes the certification process gets a whole lot more stringent...

Korenwolf

Back to top Go down

Post  turbobob924 Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:12 pm

ON my original chevy V-6 engine swap, I was able to offset the engine by about 1/2 to the right and move the mount of of a small 924 vacum booster up and to the left.

It did clear the booster this way.

turbobob924
turbobob924

http://www.turbo924.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum