944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» 951 Transaxles For Sale
Exhaust done and first drive. Idle question. EmptyWed May 08, 2024 6:44 pm by Raindoc

» Turbo Transaxle wanted
Exhaust done and first drive. Idle question. EmptyWed May 08, 2024 4:26 pm by Raindoc

» Adapter plate
Exhaust done and first drive. Idle question. EmptyTue May 07, 2024 3:06 pm by Rob44

» LEAKING TPC HYDROBOOST
Exhaust done and first drive. Idle question. EmptyWed May 01, 2024 8:32 am by Rob44

» Fesler Saratoga Top
Exhaust done and first drive. Idle question. EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 8:28 am by JW1970

» Parts availability for general maintenance?
Exhaust done and first drive. Idle question. EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 10:36 pm by zenon

» What coilover spring rates are you running with torsion bar removed?
Exhaust done and first drive. Idle question. EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 10:24 pm by zenon

» 944 Turbo TPC Radiator Install Help Needed
Exhaust done and first drive. Idle question. EmptySun Apr 28, 2024 9:38 am by SpeedRacer11

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
Exhaust done and first drive. Idle question. EmptySun Apr 28, 2024 12:00 am by Raymond-P

» Best engine uprights/plates
Exhaust done and first drive. Idle question. EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 11:09 pm by Raymond-P

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Exhaust done and first drive. Idle question.

5 posters

Go down

Exhaust done and first drive. Idle question. Empty Exhaust done and first drive. Idle question.

Post  fliermike45 Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:42 pm

The exhaust shop finished thier magic today and I got to make a short drive to the local cruise in. The drive was awesome and the noise even better.

The idle is 2000 rpm, I believe there is some computer self learning but how can I adjust the idle?

As mentioned in a separate thread the power steering is really sensitive, more like vicious! Car back at the shop for an A/C drawdown and charge tommorrow.

Pictures of exhaust are from a cellphone, apologies for the quality, I forgot to take my camera with me. Original plan was to place the resonators staggared in the tunnel, but my welder suggested the dual muffler be at the front and would act as a crossover, with the resonators at the back. Could not get the crossover and resonators in the tunnel space. Sounds great, will advise when I get to drive at highway speeds.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

fliermike45

Back to top Go down

Exhaust done and first drive. Idle question. Empty Re: Exhaust done and first drive. Idle question.

Post  Admin Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:54 pm

Your idle should be adjusted by your tune on the computer. Your running a VSS aren't you?
If you have it you may want to make sure it's reading good. That will help the idle come back down to normal. Also double check your throttle cable, make sure the TB is closing completely.

Exhaust looks good, except you need to have them ad more hangers and a couple of short flex pipes in the front. Right now it looks like it only has one hanger in the very back holding the resonators up. It that is what I am seeing, you are asking for exhaust gasket leaks. Looks like everything is hanging from the headers, that is not good. You will start to get leaks then possibly cracking. Headers do not make good exhaust hangers.

Post some video with good sound, I'd like to hear what that setup sounds like.

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.TexasPerformanceConcepts.com

Back to top Go down

Exhaust done and first drive. Idle question. Empty Hangars and idle

Post  fliermike45 Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:25 pm

TB and cable have been checked , no binding, closing fully.

There is a hangar mid way along the tunnel, its in the pictures. It bolts to the crossmember up in the tunnel. Other hangar is the twin rubber type figure 8's at the rear to support the resonators.

Your advice about the flex joints noted, will talk to my welder tomorrow. Fortunately he has done a bunch of bespoke sytems.

Thanks for the input, will get a video with sound done, got to cure this nasty power steering as a high priority.

fliermike45

Back to top Go down

Exhaust done and first drive. Idle question. Empty Re: Exhaust done and first drive. Idle question.

Post  stu wright Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:21 am

looks good congrats
stu wright
stu wright

Back to top Go down

Post  948 Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:38 am

Try the following (assuming you don't have any massive vacuum leaks) :
With the engine off, unplug the IAC and start the car (Do this with a hot engine). The idle should go down to normal range. If the idle does go down then your problem maybe either the IAC or your TPS.....
The TPS would be my bet; It could either be bad or needs to be reset to 0% position. (A new TPS would also need to be reset). You should try and log the TPS sweep, it should be smooth and start from 0%. You can also log the IAC commands too.

There is a reset procedure for the earlier LS systems which goes something like the following.....

Key off.
Unplug TPS.
Turn key on for 5 seconds.
Key off.
Plug in TPS.
Turn key on. Closed throttle should be 0%.

Back to top Go down

Exhaust done and first drive. Idle question. Empty Another problem.

Post  fliermike45 Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:49 am

Thanks for the info for the idle.

Is the "IAC" the Air intake temp sensor? I have a 5 wire unit with a common plug for the MAF and the Temp sensor.

The throttle body is new, I switched from a C5 electric pedal to a brand new cable unit.

Alsa I can't try these things yet, on my way back from the Exhaust shop I got on it in second gear and after about 30 yards or so I lost oil pressure and got a warning light. There was a trail of oil along the road and a quick inspection showed that a remote oil filter line had come of the oil pan. Car was towed back to the shop and will investigate on Monday.

I used the push type black AN fittings and the blue push on hosess that were provided in my "kit" that I purchased from Sloan, that hose is specified as up to 250 psi, don't know why it came off. I got the engine shut off as soon as the light came on and hope there is no damage. Guess who's going to get braided aircraft quality hoses and fittings.

fliermike45

Back to top Go down

Post  Bluemach1 Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:15 pm

How much ground clearance do you have with that muffler mounted under the tunnel?

Bluemach1

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3378613

Back to top Go down

Exhaust done and first drive. Idle question. Empty More and better pictures.

Post  fliermike45 Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:55 pm

Here are some more pictures of the exhaust system. Lower edge of the front muffler is slightly above the lower edge of the oil pan which is the lowest point on my car. The x-member has been lowered 3/4".

The tunnel was modified slightly with a big hammer to allow more clearance around the rear of the twin muffler. Muffler is Magnaflow 11385 and resonators are 10445.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

fliermike45

Back to top Go down

Post  948 Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:16 pm

fliermike45 wrote:Is the "IAC" the Air intake temp sensor?
Idle Air Control

See this page for info on the throttle bodies, IAC, and TPS
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down