HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Drive by Wire Throttle Pedal Install on 1987 NA 944????
Yesterday at 7:37 pm by VA944LS1

» Project Purge: LS1 + Conversion Parts FS
Yesterday at 9:16 am by bajabluejay

» Problem with Dual Remote Vacuum Boosters
Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:35 am by johntorg

» 1987 944 Turbo --> LS
Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:39 am by Hotrodz of Dallas

» Iron vs Aluminum LS? discuss...
Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:27 am by Hotrodz of Dallas

» For sale $150 Griffin for LS1 LS Radiator swap
Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:34 pm by matt889

» Rebuilt engine threw three rods
Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:45 pm by jpkinerk

» 1984 Gen IV 5.3 Swap
Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:54 am by superman22x

» Aluminum 5.3 swap
Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:59 pm by turbobob924

» Power and Torque figures
Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:27 am by Fubar

December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Early 85 944 Supper Quick Build

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Early 85 944 Supper Quick Build

Post  map21 on Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:53 pm

Hello to everyone on the Forum. This is my first post so to introduce myself I am Matt, 26 a computer guy and lifelong car lover. I fell in love with the 944 Porsche at age 9 and now 16 years later I finally have an 85 and an 83 both NA one 5spd and the other auto.

This is not my first car build. I have spent lots of time working on time attack Hondas, restored a 95 Mustang GT and still race and restore motorcycles in my spare time. The goal here is to convert one of the cars to v8 power and leave the other pretty much stock and gift it to my father who is responsible
for my bike and car addiction. So on to the build

This will be a rush budget build. I work abroad most of the year so I have 21 days to get this done. $6000 is my max on this not including car or motor. I am in Charlotte, NC and the nearest shop I know of that has completed the conversion before is Black Forest so I plan on enlisting them or any other local guys with experience to do some of the work in the name of time savings.

What I have:

2003 Chevy Tahoe 4.8 Vortec. Essentially the unstroked 5.3. I used a few parts for my 04 Tahoe daily driver so it’s the economy route since I already have it just sitting in storage. Oh yeah I have the whole truck so ecu, wiring harness etc. is already covered. Eric at TPC tells me I can use the drive by wire set up just need to keep the Tahoe pedal assembly. $ Free

I am adding a 2 inch hood scoop to avoid swapping to an ls1 intake. I’m sure everyone won’t agree but hey I have to drive it and since the body shop is doing it when they paint it saves me time. $ 150

Uprights, oil pan, set back plates, bell housing adaptor, and pilot bearing adaptor have all been ordered from TPC. Not sure if I need ½ or ¼ in cross member spacers

What’s needed: and questions, lots of them.

Cross member spacers. ½ or ¼ inch? How do I tell?

Bell housing: I know it needs to be C5 but other than that can it be auto or does it have to be manual? The 2piece manual is hard to come by these days but the auto is readily available and cheap. Also with the auto can I mill out the spaces for the hydraulic line reliefs to make it usable. $ 100

Flywheel, clutch & pressure plate: I would prefer to just get a kit but I have no clue which one fits best for the 4.8 / 5.3 truck motor since not many of them were manual tranny. So let me know a good combo. Only planning on an ecu reflash so no extreme duty stuff necessary 330 hp or so. $ 400

Radiator: Eric tells me the 951 turbo is sufficient for cooling. Anyone have one f/s or any recommendations on a place to purchase it for the best price. $$$ ???

Brakes: A subject for much concern. Recommendations needed. Not planning on ever tracking the car but I want reliable ones with a good feel in a package I don’t have to piece together too much. $500-1000

Wheels: I would like 18in turbo twist or some 17in 993 lightweight cup wheels. Currently I have phone dials and the black and silver 5 spokes. $800-1200 Not an immediate concern.

Accessory drive relocation: I am told this can be purchased all together as a F-body accessory kit. Is
it necessary because of hood clearance or side spacing issues?

Headers: Eric @ TPC is working on a set of long tubes, S&P have some but they occasionally don’t fit right just like the RH headers. Not sure the price point I should be at on these but it seems to be the biggest dilemma at the moment & I have never had to custom fab a set of headers so maybe that’s the route we go. Who knows.

Oil filter relocation kit: Just going to grab one off of Jegs. They are less than $ 100

Power steering: Keep it or scrap it? If it’s simple to integrate with the power steering pump I would like to retain it. If not it wouldn’t be my first sports car without it.

AC: NC summers are hot. It will be re integrated at a later date.

Heat: A necessity. It seems as easy as just hooking the hose in where they were before.

Wiring Harness: 3 options. Do it myself with help from the forum Lt1swap.com etc, Have TPC mod it, or buy a standalone. Length of time being the determining factor.

Gauge Control. Tach, speedo, temperature oil pressure etc.

Ok that’s all the questions for now I am certain I am missing something so let me know what it is and what you think. Also get ready for tons of pics as soon as parts start arriving and we get to building. Thanks all.
map21

Back to top Go down

Re: Early 85 944 Supper Quick Build

Post  Admin on Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:12 pm

Not sure , but you may not need the spacers if you are adding 2" to the hood for clearance.

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.TexasPerformanceConcepts.com

Back to top Go down

Progress Report

Post  map21 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:29 pm

As of 3-4-2011 the stock motor is running in the 85 944. I made sure it was completely operational after sitting for 10 years since it will be gifted to my parents who got me into these cars in the first place. 70k mile one owner example.

Conversion Kit arrived last week. Swap was pulled earlier this week also and is ready for the F body drive accessories, oil pan, wiring harness mods, and the DBW pedal modification. If any one know of some good deals on the F body accessories let me know.

Both my cars the 83 944 which is getting the LS and the 85 that I'm keeping stock are being worked on by Lou at Black Forest Garage in Denver, NC they are a full service Porsche restoration and performance center with experience in this swap. More pics to come soon
map21

Back to top Go down

Another Update

Post  map21 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:52 am

Man was I naïve going into this swap about the time it would take. Super quick build nothing.

This forum has been a tremendous help and just a little reading and searching has answered every question I had or was unsure about. Reading truly is fundamental. So now for a small update on this builds progress. The worst part of it all is I can do the work myself but since I’m impatient and away Black Forest Garage in Denver, NC is handling the wrenching.

I will have more pictures 5/19/11 but I work out of the country most of the year so this is what I took before leaving. She is rough but everything works and has potential

Total spent so far: 5547 I’m trying my best to not make it to the almost 17K in the budget column.

Suggestions, part offers and comments are all welcomed. There is a cost break down in the Photo Gallery.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
map21

Back to top Go down

Update

Post  map21 on Mon May 23, 2011 6:19 pm

Slowly progress is being made. Motor is assembled minus the wiring harness that we are waiting on. Turbo transmission have arrived to replace the stock N/A unit. Torsen limited slip diff is out and awaiting a mod. Xschop provided me with a beautiful set of 13 rotors and calipers to go under the 17in cup wheels and new carpet and a set of Corbeau seats are ready for an install also. Only cell phone pics at the moment but camera ones are on the way as soon as I get back to my house. Enjoy

map21

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon May 23, 2011 7:02 pm

I'll assume one of the harnesses that I have is yours? If I get paid then you would have your harness! I've been waiting to get paid for 2 weeks.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  map21 on Mon May 23, 2011 8:00 pm

Admin wrote:I'll assume one of the harnesses that I have is yours? If I get paid then you would have your harness! I've been waiting to get paid for 2 weeks.

It very well maybe but I'm not sure right now. I will check with the shop that's building for me and see if we can't get this expedited because I'm certainly paying them so I expect that you are paid for your work also. And I'm ready to get this thing on the road
map21

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop on Mon May 23, 2011 8:33 pm

You are sticking in the NA 5th in the 951 trans right? I'm curious what mpg's you'll wind up with. Also you'll get the low end torque back with that truck intake on the 4.8 as well.
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  map21 on Tue May 24, 2011 10:22 am

xschop wrote:You are sticking in the NA 5th in the 951 trans right? I'm curious what mpg's you'll wind up with. Also you'll get the low end torque back with that truck intake on the 4.8 as well.

Yeap an 87 turbo tranny w/o cooler but I have a ls1 intake on it so I will loose a little low end tq and maybe gain a few upper rpm hp. Hey Rob what size centering rings do I need on these rotors and spindles?
map21

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop on Tue May 24, 2011 10:25 am

I sent the custom centering rings.
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  map21 on Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:23 pm

So I got bored and added some more pictures of my current mess of a car. It is completely full of parts and of course my sunroof leaks so slightly full of water too. There are a few cool ones of the brake kit from Rob (xschop) mins the centering rings I accidentally tossed in the trash. Quite the dummy moment. Embarassed and also my disassembly of an Audi V8 rear end for its Torsen diff. The brakes are truly massive and the pads ain't cheap either. Pretty certain a brake proportioning valve is in the near future also along with some bigger rear brakes so it doesn't look so off balance.

The best news is that my hooker headers have been made or remade to fit. I'll have to save and wait for a set of Admins beautiful headers. DBW pedal and electronics have been mounted. The wiring harness is in transit, along with fresh carpet and seats. Now it's just time to settle on a paint color. I'm thinking about Porsche's current blue on the 911's. Enjoy.

map21

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthropraxis on Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:54 pm

Quite a project you have going there. What do you think about this color? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Post  map21 on Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:10 pm

Arthropraxis wrote:Quite a project you have going there. What do you think about this color? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Wow that green jumps out at you but none the less a great looking car. I considered British Racing green also because IMO it looks good and if you've already pissed of the Germans with a GM motor in a P car why not get the Brits involved too and use their color on a German car.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by map21 on Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Picture didn't load)
map21

Back to top Go down

Another Update.

Post  map21 on Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:06 pm

Well I'm back in North America. Canada specifically for a few weeks then back to NC to get this car finished up and I have a few pics to add.
map21

Back to top Go down

Headers

Post  map21 on Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:01 am

Its taken long enough but now I'm back and work continues on the car.
map21

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:38 am

Who's building your car?

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  map21 on Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:48 am

Admin wrote:Who's building your car?
Lou and Bryant @ Black Forest in Denver NC.
map21

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:00 pm

That's what I thought,

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

First Drive

Post  map21 on Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:16 pm

Well guys I'm back from Afghanistan again and my car is done. I took it for a drive yesterday and MY God its more of a handful than I expected in a great way. The sounds and feels are just amazing. Traction is a serious concern with any heavy throttle in first and second gear. I'm happy to have had this car built. Now off to the body shop. Pics and videos to come in a few days.
map21

Back to top Go down

Post  bluejk09 on Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:07 pm

map21 wrote:Well guys I'm back from Afghanistan again and my car is done. I took it for a drive yesterday and MY God its more of a handful than I expected in a great way. The sounds and feels are just amazing. Traction is a serious concern with any heavy throttle in first and second gear. I'm happy to have had this car built. Now off to the body shop. Pics and videos to come in a few days.
Awesome! Looking forward to pics.

I saw your original budget in your photo album. Do you have an updated version or total? Just trying to get an accurate sense of what a build of this quality costs.

bluejk09

Back to top Go down

Post  map21 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:04 am

My budget was decently close. There was a lot more labor charges that aren't reflected at all on the original budget. Items like installing the brake kit and the new spindles to support them. Body shop labor for removing the welded in nose piece. A speed density tune and pcm flash, and I went with an exhaust that was more expensive. Also all my truck drive accessories were change over to CTS-V accessories because the shop didn't like the bracket set up I had.
It will all depend on how you build the car and how closely you follow the absolute need vs. want guides. My build could have been far, far cheaper but I splurged in alot of areas from solid transmission mounts, turbo trans, brake kit, seats, 951 bumper fenders nose and spoiler, speed density vs vss, and speedhut gauges that have yet to be ordered.
From my understanding guys have pulled it off in the 10k range depending on the work they put into it themselves, that is minus the price of a car though. All my necessary conversion parts were around 5k. I'll up date that once I go back through and look at all my receipts.
map21

Back to top Go down

Post  87-944S on Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:01 pm

Traction with my 265's is one of the reasons I have 335's in the rear with admin's sweet, sweet flares! Very Happy 
87-944S

Back to top Go down

Post  map21 on Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:26 pm

You know I was interested in admins flares but I never saw them listed on the online store. I'm guessing that's a special order situation. I'm sure there will be more mods in the future.
map21

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top