944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Honda k24 swap
Need Advice - My Helmet Hits The Roll Cage EmptyYesterday at 6:12 am by Colibri Green

» NDog52's 1986 NA 5.3 Build
Need Advice - My Helmet Hits The Roll Cage EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 6:28 pm by Raymond-P

» power steering pump
Need Advice - My Helmet Hits The Roll Cage EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 3:29 pm by Blaizefed

» FRESH BUILD - after a few miles became hard to get into gear
Need Advice - My Helmet Hits The Roll Cage EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 1:30 pm by Raymond-P

» VATS Bypass/Delete
Need Advice - My Helmet Hits The Roll Cage EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by 948

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Need Advice - My Helmet Hits The Roll Cage EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 11:52 pm by Raymond-P

» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
Need Advice - My Helmet Hits The Roll Cage EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 1:17 pm by Rob44

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
Need Advice - My Helmet Hits The Roll Cage EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
Need Advice - My Helmet Hits The Roll Cage EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
Need Advice - My Helmet Hits The Roll Cage EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Need Advice - My Helmet Hits The Roll Cage

2 posters

Go down

Need Advice - My Helmet Hits The Roll Cage Empty Need Advice - My Helmet Hits The Roll Cage

Post  MotoRider42HC Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:38 pm

My rally roll cage was built by one of the best FIA-spec cage builders in the business. However, after installing my seat, in the exact same position the builder used, my helmet hits the roll bar padding. And it doesn't lightly hit, it interferes; there is at least a 1/2" overlap. I have no idea what to do! Any suggestions you have are very much welcome! Please help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiAwZjtD0C8
MotoRider42HC
MotoRider42HC

Back to top Go down

Need Advice - My Helmet Hits The Roll Cage Empty Re: Need Advice - My Helmet Hits The Roll Cage

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:27 pm

Having built many race cars with full roll cages, I can tell you a couple of things to try.

But, first and foremost. The top cage builders always have you sit in the car with your seat installed and your helmet on to verify fitment. Most will want you wearing all your driving gear, including your hans device.

With that said, I have a couple of drivers that are just too tall for these cars. So for them, I bolt the side seat mounts directly to the floor. This will gain you a little over an inch depending on what sliders you are using.
One of the things I noticed in your video, is that your legs are straight out. Your correct seating position should have your legs bent. This does 2 things. It moves your seat forward, which gives you more head room. Plus it allows your legs to flex in case of a crash. Having your legs totally straight out to the pedals will destroy your knees and ankles if you take a hard front hit.

So, try sliding your seat forward a couple of inches and see if that helps your head room. If not, then mount the seat directly to the floor without the sliders.
Hotrodz of Dallas
Hotrodz of Dallas

Back to top Go down

Need Advice - My Helmet Hits The Roll Cage Empty Re: Need Advice - My Helmet Hits The Roll Cage

Post  MotoRider42HC Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:39 pm

Unfortunately, the seats are bolted to the floor with OMP mounts. No sliders.

That leg thing is a very very good tip that I didn't think about... i guess i could have a shop move the seat mounts forward to get my knees bent properly, then lean the seat back to clear my head, then asd a lower harness bar to fit the lower shoulder height...

hmmm...

so much $$$$ though...

:'(
MotoRider42HC
MotoRider42HC

Back to top Go down

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:03 pm

Money? Welcome to racing.............

Will your seats drop any lower in the side mounts? Most mounts have multiple holes in them for adjusting seat height. I couldn't see the mounts well enough in the video.
Hotrodz of Dallas
Hotrodz of Dallas

Back to top Go down

Post  MotoRider42HC Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:35 pm

Hotrodz of Dallas wrote:Money? Welcome to racing.............

Will your seats drop any lower in the side mounts? Most mounts have multiple holes in them for adjusting seat height. I couldn't see the mounts well enough in the video.

well i already spent money on the rollcage that should have been done right... spending the same money twice is what really makes me mad...

unfortunately the seat is hovering only 1/4" from the floor,
i could try and drill new holes and drop it down,
but i don't think it would be enough

i called a local shop today, and might be making
an appointment for November timing to get it tubbed
MotoRider42HC
MotoRider42HC

Back to top Go down

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:43 am

Something else to try, is to remove the lower seat padding. I've had to do this for some drivers as well.
Hotrodz of Dallas
Hotrodz of Dallas

Back to top Go down

Post  MotoRider42HC Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:52 am

Hotrodz of Dallas wrote:Something else to try, is to remove the lower seat padding. I've had to do this for some drivers as well.

remove the foam padding glued to the fiberglass?

idk man, these Rally races are full 8~10 hour days...

but yeah, i could see that helping for sure.

thanks!!!
MotoRider42HC
MotoRider42HC

Back to top Go down

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:59 am

Yep. We endurance race all the time. No padding a lot of times, due to the different drivers we have. But, we aren't running off-road either. So you probably want to keep the padding for a little more comfort.

You aren't a real big guy, so I don't understand why you are having so much problem. I'm 6'1" tall and don't have headroom issues. I'm concerned the cage just got built incorrectly for you.
Hotrodz of Dallas
Hotrodz of Dallas

Back to top Go down

Post  MotoRider42HC Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:13 am

Hotrodz of Dallas wrote:
You aren't a real big guy, so I don't understand why you are having so much problem. I'm 6'1" tall and don't have headroom issues. I'm concerned the cage just got built incorrectly for you.

Same here ... :'(
MotoRider42HC
MotoRider42HC

Back to top Go down