944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» 928 Wilwood Integra Caliper Adapters
weird vibration - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 03, 2024 7:58 am by xschop

» 930 CV adapters
weird vibration - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 03, 2024 7:38 am by xschop

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
weird vibration - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 02, 2024 12:23 am by Raymond-P

» LS2 Mounts
weird vibration - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 01, 2024 8:08 pm by jpkinerk

» JP's LS1 Conversion
weird vibration - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 01, 2024 7:51 pm by jpkinerk

» Solid Transmission Mount By XSCHOP - $125
weird vibration - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 23, 2024 10:33 pm by unique202

» 40 Years Old
weird vibration - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 22, 2024 8:51 pm by JW1970

» Steering wheel vibration
weird vibration - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2024 12:29 am by Raymond-P

» Clutch options
weird vibration - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 14, 2024 9:19 pm by sharkey

» Best engine uprights/plates
weird vibration - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 02, 2024 5:06 pm by turbobob924

September 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

weird vibration

+7
spence
fantic
Arthropraxis
Rich L.
matt889
sharkey
matty89
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

weird vibration - Page 2 Empty Re: weird vibration

Post  matty89 Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:19 pm

the car whent on the dyno and still a vibration . which was felt thru the dynopack also but he says all the 944 suffer like this on a dynopak..

matty89

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:58 pm

On my LM7 build there were originally some strange vibes in those rpms that went away after grounding both heads to chassis.
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  matty89 Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:36 pm

what did the head grounds do to it ? i could try did urs do it parked and driving was worst ?

matty89

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkey Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:52 pm

just had a look back through the post trying to remember everything discussed. so you rebuilt the engine yourself, did you change anything in the rotating assembly? rods, pistons, pins, crank, etc? did you have the rotating assembly balanced? im wondering if something is mismatched weight wise in the rotating assembly, like say you put some aftermarket pistons in and they were heavier or lighter, the bob weight of the crankshaft is now out and you will get a vibration. could even have been something that happened before you owned the engine, if the engine was ever rebuilt at some point.

if the clutch assembly is balanced, there isnt much left other than the engine itself. the only other test you can do would be to remove the clutch assembly, install an automatic flex plate and run the engine, either back in the car or on a test stand.

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Post  racertomtom Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:04 pm

matty89 wrote:
So i pull the flywheel out and pressure plate and got them balanced...
Its not worst than Ever since its zero balanced....

It "is" or "isn't" worse than ever?

racertomtom

Back to top Go down

Post  matty89 Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:07 pm

its worst now that it is balanced. before i got her balanced i decided to add weight to the flywheel by added washers on the pressure plate bolts . which helped the vibrations go down but they were still there but endurable/hardly noticable . Now that she is balanced to zero its like i was on the worst gravel road i have ever driven on only at 3000-3200 then stops and at 4000 it does it again and stops after that....

matty89

Back to top Go down

Post  matty89 Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:25 pm

sharkey wrote:just had a look back through the post trying to remember everything discussed. so you rebuilt the engine yourself, did you change anything in the rotating assembly? rods, pistons, pins, crank, etc? did you have the rotating assembly balanced? im wondering if something is mismatched weight wise in the rotating assembly, like say you put some aftermarket pistons in and they were heavier or lighter, the bob weight of the crankshaft is now out and you will get a vibration. could even have been something that happened before you owned the engine, if the engine was ever rebuilt at some point.

if the clutch assembly is balanced, there isnt much left other than the engine itself. the only other test you can do would be to remove the clutch assembly, install an automatic flex plate and run the engine, either back in the car or on a test stand.
i will have to find a flexplate but what would that tell me ? it would say i need my clutch assembly to weight the same ? if it doesnt vibrate

matty89

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkey Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:49 pm

really its just one of those things you could try to go "yup its 100% for sure the engine", however with what you have tried thus far im 99% sure your dealing with a rotating assembly balance problem.

i remember years ago my dad built a 454 for a friend of his and it had a bad vibration at idle, then it went away and came back to mid range rpm. after lots of frustration trying to find the source the owner got tired of it and put a 502 ramjet in instead. after years of sitting in the corner the engine came back apart, and it turned out that the machine shop removed the dowel pin in the crank flange during machining. the balancing shop didnt catch that it wasnt there and balanced the crank without it. when the flex plate got bolted on a new dowel pin got put in, and that was the source of the out of balance condition. funny to think something the size of the dowel would cause that much vibration.

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Post  spence Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:52 am

matty89 wrote:its worst now that it is balanced. before i got her balanced i decided to add weight to the flywheel by added washers on the pressure plate bolts . which helped the vibrations go down but they were still there but endurable/hardly noticable . Now that she is balanced to zero its like i was on the worst gravel road i have ever driven on only at 3000-3200 then stops and at 4000 it does it again and stops after that....

I had a similar problem when I changed engines... I used my old 350 flywheel on a 383 which I quickly found out was zero balanced. The vibration was awful as soon as I started it. I knew right away it must have been zero balanced. So I ripped the 383 out and bought a zero balanced flywheel and everything was good.... sounds like your situation is gonna take a little more to figure out though... goodluck!
spence
spence

Back to top Go down

Post  racertomtom Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:55 pm

Take off the belts and run just long enough to see if the vibration is still there and you've eliminated everything except the rotating assembly and the valve train. It's always a good idea to balance the assembly unless you're freshening up a running engine. It's likely a mismatch between the balancer/crank/flywheel because of the specific RPM and you affected it when you balanced the flywheel.

racertomtom

Back to top Go down

Post  matty89 Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:07 pm

sharkey wrote:really its just one of those things you could try to go "yup its 100% for sure the engine", however with what you have tried thus far im 99% sure your dealing with a rotating assembly balance problem.

i remember years ago my dad built a 454 for a friend of his and it had a bad vibration at idle, then it went away and came back to mid range rpm. after lots of frustration trying to find the source the owner got tired of it and put a 502 ramjet in instead. after years of sitting in the corner the engine came back apart, and it turned out that the machine shop removed the dowel pin in the crank flange during machining. the balancing shop didnt catch that it wasnt there and balanced the crank without it. when the flex plate got bolted on a new dowel pin got put in, and that was the source of the out of balance condition. funny to think something the size of the dowel would cause that much vibration.
on my crank to flywheel there wasnt a dowel pin .... but i placed the dowel hole toward the dowel of the flywheel.......

matty89

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkey Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:44 pm

ls engines dont use a dowel pin in the crank flange. you have the flywheel oriented correctly as well. i was just mentioned that to show how something small that can get missed can cause massive vibration issues.

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Post  ndog52 Mon Jul 22, 2024 4:26 pm

Matty89, did you ever end up solving this one? I have the exact same problem and have been going through the same process as you and I'm stumped.
ndog52
ndog52

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum