944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» ECU Wiring
Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 15, 2021 9:47 am by Hotrodz of Dallas

» bellhousing pressure plate interference
Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 14, 2021 9:07 pm by rjarvis

» LS Overheating Issue
Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 14, 2021 8:54 pm by rjarvis

» wtb: 16" early offset wheels
Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 13, 2021 1:17 am by sharkey

» WTB 951 or S2 Trans
Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 4:13 pm by Rikstone

» Drive shaft too short to reach pilot bearning
Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 3:00 am by spence

» TPC Throttle Cable Questions
Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 04, 2021 12:54 pm by CyCloNe!

» 944 LT1 engine mounts and dash lights
Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 04, 2021 8:47 am by quarterflash

» Modified Hooker 2312 Headers for sale
Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 04, 2021 7:29 am by gwistrup

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 03, 2021 9:50 pm by Raymond-P

June 2021
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap - Page 4 Empty Axle Shaft Replacement Options???

Post  Raymond-P Thu May 27, 2021 3:37 pm

Well folks, I'm just about done prepping the 5P transaxle for repaint and an oil change.  

However, while packing up my tools for the evening I began to contemplate clean-up and rehab of the rear crossmember and a suspension rehab.  What a mess... especially the original axle shafts.  They're rusted and the boots appear to leak somewhat.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Rear crossmember and suspension - After Pressure Wash

It dawned on me that replacing the CV joints makes sense considering all the other drivetrain work.

So....my question for the forum experts is this:

What is the option of choice (based on experience) when replacing the axle shafts for LSX applications?

Pricing is all over the place with budget providers expounding on how much better their product is than OEM, while the high-dollar suppliers boast that their product is produced by the OEM manufacturer.  Then there is the custom axle option with stronger carriers, bigger joint components, and special alloy shafts.

I did spend some time doing custom searches of the forum and learned much but I wasn't able to pick up on a consensus.  Perhaps that's just because we're all doing slightly different things with our cars.

For me, I'm planning some "mostly for fun and charity event" track time and regular street use.

Price wise, a pair of new axle shaft assemblies for under $200 would be great if they actually hold up.
But I only want to do this once the right way...so I'm willing to go higher on the price.

I'm going to keep researching my options, but I respect and look forward to some input from the forum.

Thanks in advance!
Raymond-P
Raymond-P

Back to top Go down

Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap - Page 4 Empty Re: Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap

Post  sharkey Thu May 27, 2021 10:45 pm

parts store cv axles are hit and miss. some people have had them fail from just normal street driving, i personally have had one that i launched a couple times with at the dragstrip with around 450 whp (not v8 power) and hold up just fine. that was an empi axle.

i think your only off the shelf option would be the lindsey racing/drive shaft shop axles. they have axles using either 100mm type 2 style joints (stock size), or they have a 108mm 930 style axle and use adapter plates. your going to spend $1200-$1600 going with these axles.

the option i chose when i was running the porsche transaxle was to build a set of axles using empi parts. i used empi type 2 offroad cv joints and empi chromoly axle shafts. the axle shafts require machining for the inner clips (the offroad buggies this stuff is intended for dont run an inner clip, but id recommend it on a car). in the end i think i was a little more than half the cost of the lindsey racing/dss axles, and they worked out great. i do have a thread somewhere here detailing what it took.

all that being said, axles in these cars typically dont break from too much torque, its either worn out joints failing or a worn out transaxle mount causing too much movement, that binds the axle and causes a failure. you could clean your axles up, take apart and inspect the joints and if the races and balls look good rebuild them with a new set of boots and some good grease, or get some new oe replacement joints.

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap - Page 4 Empty Re: Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap

Post  Raymond-P Thu May 27, 2021 11:44 pm

sharkey wrote:all that being said, axles in these cars typically don't break from too much torque, its either worn out joints failing or a worn out transaxle mount causing too much movement, that binds the axle and causes a failure. you could clean your axles up, take apart and inspect the joints and if the races and balls look good rebuild them with a new set of boots and some good grease, or get some new or replacement joints.

Sharkey,

Thanks for the input!  I've assessed and reconditioned my transaxle mount already and it's in A1 condition with no cracks or distress in the rubber or vulcanization.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The factory axles feel solid with no discernible play and they turn smoothly.  Plus, I don't recall any noise from them in turns or whatever, even when I was auto-crossing the car.  

Your advise is sound as always and it makes sense to disassemble the axles to see exactly what I have.  Since my car is an '87 I'm not even sure if I have the old or new shaft spine count!

When I was doing my research, I did read your thread on building an Empi axle & CV joint system, including the machine work, and it was impressive.  There was no recent update on how the system was performing but based on you comment here, it sounds like a great solution moving forward.

If in the end I have axle problems before transaxle problems I'll likely be following your lead.
Raymond-P
Raymond-P

Back to top Go down

Post  spence Fri May 28, 2021 2:36 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

spence
spence

Back to top Go down

Post  Leva Fri May 28, 2021 6:17 am

As mentioned, the off the shelf replacements are hit or miss. If your current ones were not making any noise, i would just repack them with new boots. Did mine during a full suspension rebuild. They looked rough like yours with leaking boots, but when i took them apart, the cages and ball bearings had minimal wear. Have plenty of hard driven miles with no issues.

Leva

Back to top Go down

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas Fri May 28, 2021 9:38 am

For anyone interested, I can get brand new GKN turbo axles for $225 each. Same supplier to Porsche for the 944.
$450 a pair plus shipping.
Hotrodz of Dallas
Hotrodz of Dallas

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymond-P Fri May 28, 2021 4:18 pm

spence wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thanks Spence!

Looks like I could upgrade for $550 plus about $100 for new boots & CVJ grease, plus tax, and shipping. Then there is the machine work for the inner retainer clip. Grand total I'm guessing would be somewhere in the $800 - $900 range. Definitely an option.
Raymond-P
Raymond-P

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymond-P Fri May 28, 2021 4:20 pm

Hotrodz of Dallas wrote:For anyone interested, I can get brand new GKN turbo axles for $225 each. Same supplier to Porsche for the 944.
$450 a pair plus shipping.

Thanks Bob! That looks like a really competitive price. I'll keep this in mind if my axle disassembly turns up some damage.
Raymond-P
Raymond-P

Hotrodz of Dallas likes this post

Back to top Go down

Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap - Page 4 Empty Transaxle "Make-Over" Complete

Post  Raymond-P Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:50 pm

Well folks, I'm getting closer.

The 5P transaxle is looking good... all cleaned, blasted, primed, and painted!

Before

After

I spent some time cleaning up the speedometer sensor and it seems to be mechanically functional. Since the 5P is a "used" piece and was sitting around for awhile, the contacts really needed some attention. Here are some pics for those that haven't ever seen one closeup....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Since the TA case was exceptionally grimy around the axle flanges I've decided to replace both the axle shaft seals which likely were leaking.  I opted for a seal kit on Ebay from Ian at 944Online with 1 main shaft input seal - 2 differential axle seals, the shift rod lever seal, and 2 oil cooler loop seals (O-rings). I also scored a pair of oil cooler loop clamps that I needed.  From what I could gather, the parts are OEM but once I get them I'll provide an update.

Inspection of the axle shaft CV joints is next.... after a brief vacation that is.  Very Happy

In the mean time, this is what my drivetrain is looking like:
Raymond-P
Raymond-P

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4