944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» LEAKING TPC HYDROBOOST
HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY EmptyYesterday at 8:32 am by Rob44

» Adapter plate
HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY EmptyYesterday at 8:28 am by Rob44

» Fesler Saratoga Top
HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 8:28 am by JW1970

» Parts availability for general maintenance?
HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 10:36 pm by zenon

» What coilover spring rates are you running with torsion bar removed?
HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 10:24 pm by zenon

» 944 Turbo TPC Radiator Install Help Needed
HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY EmptySun Apr 28, 2024 9:38 am by SpeedRacer11

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY EmptySun Apr 28, 2024 12:00 am by Raymond-P

» Best engine uprights/plates
HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 11:09 pm by Raymond-P

» Rear coilover suspension setup
HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 3:30 pm by ThomasJoseph315

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY

3 posters

Go down

HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY Empty HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY

Post  lowform Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:36 am

Hello friends,

Before I dive into this, here are some of my stats:

-LS1 5.7 w/ a 2-piece C5 bellhousing (from TPC)
-Bellhousing adapter for 2-piece bellhousing (from TPC)
-Spec clutch (from TPC)
-Spec pressure plate (from TPC)
-OEM LS flywheel (from TPC)
-Tilton 7/8 clutch master cylinder (from TPC)
-LS1 OEM style hydraulic slave throwout/release bearing (from TPC)

I have a few bugs I'm trying to work on with my recent LS1 swap, but my largest problem seems to be with the hydraulic throwout (T.O.) bearing.

Problem #1 - as a general rule of thumb, there should be between .100 and .200 inches of 'play' designed into the installation of the T.O. bearing. This allows for future clutch wear. From my understanding, nearly all TPC installs simply bolt together and work amazing. Some, may need a shim behind the T.O. bearing to get just the right amount of 'play'. My scenario is the opposite. When I bolt everything together my T.O. bearing is just beginning to engage the pressure plate fins. Does anyone have any ideas on something I may have installed wrong causing this problem? Or if everything is installed correctly, any ideas on how I can obtain that .100 to .200 of 'play'?

Problem #2 - using rounded measurements, my T.O. bearing appears to have a total potential travel of .750 inches. I have the clutch pedal adjusted to it starts engaging the clutch almost immediately upon applying pressure. However, my T.O. bearing is only traveling about .500 inches. Leaving nearly 1/3 of the potential travel unused. I believe this is why my car is difficult to get into gear, grinds into reverse, and spins the back tire when in gear with the clutch pressed. I have bled the lines off my pneumatic vacuum bleeder for about 30 mins continuously. I don't see any bubbles in the lines. Does anyone have any idea why I cannot get more travel out of my T.O. bearing?

Any input would so very helpful. I am totally stumped and so close to being able to enjoy driving this car!

-Aaron

lowform

Back to top Go down

HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY Empty RE: Throw out bearing

Post  gwistrup Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:45 am

I believe that it sounds like your clutch installation is correct. Hydraulic throw out bearings are designed to contact the pressure plate fingers all the time. A hydraulic throw out bearing is like a disc brake so it will follow the pressure plate fingers as the clutch wears. I could check my car to see how far the fingers move if you would like but I think your measurement of .500" is good.

I put a Coyote 5.0 engine with a Tremic 5 speed transmission and hydraulic clutch in a '67 Mustang and it experienced the same problem initially. I was going to bleed the system again but the problem went away on its own after I drove it a few times. Something must have seated or aligned itself after a few releases and standing starts. Maybe you could get lucky?
Gil

gwistrup

Back to top Go down

HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY Empty Re: HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY

Post  lowform Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:12 pm

UPDATE. The reason my clutch wasn't disengaging was because the pilot bearing aluminum reducer had start to disengage from the crankshaft. This permanently pressed the pilot bearing up against the clutch so it never stopped spinning. All fixed now.

lowform

Back to top Go down

HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY Empty Re: HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY

Post  Raymond-P Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:00 am

Aaron,

Just saw your last post on this subject.  While I'm glad you found the problem, I'm curious what measures you took to prevent it from happening again.

When I built my motor, the pilot bushing adapter was also loose in the crank housing.  I had it knurled to increase it's OD 0.001 inches and then used Loctite 609 retaining compound for insurance.

Details in link below if you need them.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Raymond-P
Raymond-P

Back to top Go down