944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» 944 Turbo TPC Radiator Install Help Needed
Air conditioning manifold. EmptyToday at 4:14 pm by SpeedRacer11

» Rear coilover suspension setup
Air conditioning manifold. EmptyToday at 3:30 pm by ThomasJoseph315

» Best engine uprights/plates
Air conditioning manifold. EmptyYesterday at 10:12 am by Nath1142

» LEAKING TPC HYDROBOOST
Air conditioning manifold. EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:22 pm by lowform

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
Air conditioning manifold. EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:12 pm by lowform

» Fesler Saratoga Top
Air conditioning manifold. EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 7:28 pm by JW1970

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Air conditioning manifold. EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

» LS 982 5speed project here
Air conditioning manifold. EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 am by Raymond-P

» LT1 Spark Plug make and model
Air conditioning manifold. EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm by Rob44

» 928 5-speed kit
Air conditioning manifold. EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 pm by LS982

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Air conditioning manifold.

+3
fliermike45
Arthropraxis
944-v8
7 posters

Go down

Air conditioning manifold. Empty Air conditioning manifold.

Post  944-v8 Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:40 pm

Hey Guys: I've searched for this info and can't find it on the site. Are the remnants of the old site still around or is all that info lost?
I'm looking for the part number of the manifold that goes on the back of the AC compressor. Andy from TX has identified a 199X Caprice manifold as a perfect fit and Paul 948 had a ton of stuff on AC install.
Is any of this info still available. I thought someone had captured the old site.
Thanks for any insight.

944-v8

Back to top Go down

Air conditioning manifold. Empty Re: Air conditioning manifold.

Post  Arthropraxis Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:49 pm

The old site disappeared. I did have a link that would access the old site but it is no more.
Arthropraxis
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Air conditioning manifold. Empty Manifold

Post  fliermike45 Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:40 pm

If you are seeking a manifold for a GM compressor, search this site, there are a couple of threads with pics etc.

fliermike45

Back to top Go down

Post  87-944S Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:40 pm

Check out Doc's Blocks they have a good selection of A/C parts.
87-944S
87-944S

Back to top Go down

Post  944-v8 Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:34 pm

Mike what terms are you using in your search? I tried before I posted. If you use A/C or AC--nothing useful.
I've had problems searching the site.
Thanks

944-v8

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthropraxis Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:41 pm

Use advanced search, enter your key words then click google next to the keyword search area.
Arthropraxis
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Post  944-v8 Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:23 pm

Thanks I set up a google custom search of the site. Seems to work.

944-v8

Back to top Go down

Air conditioning manifold. Empty General AC routing question--didn't want to start all new thread

Post  944-v8 Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:31 pm

Couple general questions:1) I'm installing the GTS light buckets and have moved the radiator forward. Now the hose from the Dryer/pressure switch assembly to the condenser is about 4" short. Local AC shop doesn't want to weld a piece in. If it goes bad then I need the whole assembly. note;( I've only found 1 shop in the Seattle area that seems willing to weld these pot metal lines) Is it cool to make a male female extender hose from the condenser to the metal end on this assembly? Will it leak/very bad idea.
Any other suggestions. I'll need another dryer. Was going to use Porsche--944 87S. I have a new compressor as well. It will need to be modded to use existing wiring. Is there another solution using a GM dryer and pressure switch. I would then probably need to splice the hi pressure line to the new GM dryer. Diff type fittings ??? I assume I need to replace/add  new High/low pressure ports for new coolant type. Y/N ? I don't want to reinvent the wheel here. So simplest is always best.
As you can imagine. I would like to do this once, and not futz with A/C hoses latter.
2) Ive flushed everything but was considering an in line Delco filter from Amazon for about $30 as a precaution. Any thoughts on these babies.
Thanks for any input

944-v8

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:51 pm

Don't reinvent the wheel or make any of this any harder than it needs to be, make an extension hose , if done right it won't leak. If you do it poorly it will leak! Do it right the first time and you'll be fine.
Drier? just about any universal drier will work. Porsche was smart that way....... They are cheap and plentiful. no filter is needed that is part of the driers job as well. If you have that much junk floating around in your system then you're always going to have AC problems.....

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.TexasPerformanceConcepts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  944-v8 Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:18 pm

Thanks Admin: I had no intention of making the extension piece. Don't have the tools. I will have an AC shop do that. Getting the Porsche dryer. There was no black death. Just a long time open to the outside air in a very damp climate. It has been flushed. I should be fine. The dryers are pretty cheap any way.

944-v8

Back to top Go down

Air conditioning manifold. Empty Convert Compressor to Constant pressure

Post  944-v8 Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:18 pm

Hey Guys: My old compressor didn't have the external RCV and I wasn't real sure about it's long term condition. I bought a brand new compressor for a 97 Camaro (original donor). I have read everything I can find on variable stroke compressors, and have the PDF file. I disassembled my new compressor and their is no valve like in the PDF. I'm down to the point where all I can see is the 10 pistons. I could split the case and get to the crank shaft but this reminds me of splinting the case on a 2 stroker. I can just imagine that you need some special tool to line up those 10 pistons in the compressor. Questions: Are there variable stroke compressors w/out these valves? I seem to have one or it is very well hidden.
2) Does anyone know the downside to using this compressor as is. From what I read they start out as full stroke anyway.
3)If I have no choice what are the issues in controlling the compressor from the ECU. Is it just a matter of getting a temp signal in and an output to a relay in series with the compressor coil? I've looked at a schematic for a Chevy air system and the signal seems to come from the HVAC control module. Also in any of these cases is a low pressure switch in the suction (low pressure side needed?)
Sorry about the second ask here but It appears that I'm missing something in the conversion to constant pressure.
Thanks for any direction!

944-v8

Back to top Go down

Air conditioning manifold. Empty AC and the Computer

Post  simon123 Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:56 pm

As I understand the 944 AC, the HVAC unit controls the compressor clutch (the existing compressor clutch wire), high and low pressure switches on the receiver drier protect the system. There is no need to connect to the LS1 Computer as my engine idles fine when the AC kicks in and out. I believe, an AC signal to/from the computer strictly raises the engine  idle speed to handle the compressor load. I found it to be unnecessary.
BUT I disable the valve inside the GM compressor to make it a fixed pressure unit.

simon123

Back to top Go down

Post  944-v8 Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:06 pm

Thanks Simon: I agree. I was on that path until I opened up the compressor and didn't see anything that looks like any of the documents I've seen. The unit can be fully pulled apart and the titling plate is probably inside. I'm just not sure I would ever get it back together. No idea of what is inside the housing.
Thanks

944-v8

Back to top Go down

Air conditioning manifold. Empty Addendum to my Sept 3 post......also Red Angel

Post  simon123 Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:34 pm

As I said it is not necessary to connect the computer to the AC but I did and connected the AC REQUEST wire in parallel to the compressor power wire from the HVAC unit. The computer now turns on the second fan and raises the idle rpm when the Porsche AC switch is operated.

Sorry I missed this until I looked at my (SSP Wiring) harness manual again.

Have been chasing a slow leak and have just injected a can of Red Angel, hope it works.

simon123

Back to top Go down

Post  RS Technic Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:16 am

Hey guys,

I'm almost to the point of working the AC out on my conversion. I will also be using the GM compressor that came with the LS1.
Was the valve location in/on the compressor identified?
How, exactily, is it disabled?

Thanks!
RS Technic
RS Technic

Back to top Go down