944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» 951 Transaxles For Sale
PCV Valve Question EmptyToday at 6:44 pm by Raindoc

» Turbo Transaxle wanted
PCV Valve Question EmptyToday at 4:26 pm by Raindoc

» Adapter plate
PCV Valve Question EmptyYesterday at 3:06 pm by Rob44

» LEAKING TPC HYDROBOOST
PCV Valve Question EmptyWed May 01, 2024 8:32 am by Rob44

» Fesler Saratoga Top
PCV Valve Question EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 8:28 am by JW1970

» Parts availability for general maintenance?
PCV Valve Question EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 10:36 pm by zenon

» What coilover spring rates are you running with torsion bar removed?
PCV Valve Question EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 10:24 pm by zenon

» 944 Turbo TPC Radiator Install Help Needed
PCV Valve Question EmptySun Apr 28, 2024 9:38 am by SpeedRacer11

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
PCV Valve Question EmptySun Apr 28, 2024 12:00 am by Raymond-P

» Best engine uprights/plates
PCV Valve Question EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 11:09 pm by Raymond-P

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

PCV Valve Question

3 posters

Go down

PCV Valve Question Empty PCV Valve Question

Post  Raymond-P Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:11 am

Greetings Forum Friends!

As I wrap-up the engine bay vacuum lines on my 5.7 LS1, I’m confronted with the simple task of installing an “external” in-line PCV valve.

This is something that never crossed my mind during the engine build.  However, it should have at the very moment I discovered the factory valve covers did not provide adequate clearance for the rocker arms. My Holley valve cover replacements only provide an oil filler cap and a 90 degree, 3/8” nipple for a vacuum line.

I found a Beck-Arnley PCV valve on-line that “looked” like it would do the trick.  The specs didn’t include line sizes and I was surprised how small it was when I received, and that it only has a a 1/4” ID inlet and outlet.  The OD fits a 5/16” hose nicely.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
<Beck-Arnley PCV Valve>

In addition to being rather small, the BA PCV valve does not seem to have any moving parts and is like a static one-way valve vs. the rattle ball type that I’m familiar with.

So, my Forum question is…will this type of PCV valve do the job??
…and if NOT, what is the best path forward?

I have learned that an LS6 valley cover is the ideal setup for crankcase ventilation but unfortunately that ship has sailed. Sad

Recommendations appreciated…Thanks in advance!
Raymond-P
Raymond-P

Back to top Go down

PCV Valve Question Empty Re: PCV Valve Question

Post  Hey_Allen Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:01 pm

For what it's worth, GM switched to a fixed diameter orifice PCV "valve" on the pickup engines. I believe that was around the time they were using the DOD actuators in the valley, so the LS6 style valley cover couldn't be used.

There are a number of different ways to pursue controlling crankcase vapor management.

Hey_Allen

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymond-P Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:56 pm

Hey_Allen,
Thank you for that background info. So my question now is how are the orifice style PCV units rated? I want one “big” enough to manage whatever crankcase fumes the 5.7 produces without having a massive vacuum leak.
Raymond-P
Raymond-P

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:15 pm

Don't know anything about that Beck-Arnley valve.
I run the stock rattle type PCV from an early Camaro.
Rich L.
Rich L.

Raymond-P likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Hey_Allen Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:41 am

Raymond-P wrote:Hey_Allen,
So my question now is how are the orifice style PCV units rated?  I want one “big” enough to manage whatever crankcase fumes the 5.7 produces without having a massive vacuum leak.

I just went and did a little digging, and found the following links:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It appears to be a 1/16" hole. The TSB advised that it should not be used on a 4.8L due to compromised idle quality, but it is listed as applicable to 5.3L and 6L engines. (The 5.7L appears to have already been "obsolete" by the time this update came about, and is not mentioned in the TSB.)

Hey_Allen

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymond-P Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:48 pm

Hey_Allen,

Thanks for doing this research! VERY USEFUL!

Just yesterday, I purchased a stock GM ball-type PCV valve ($1.85) and compared the airflow with the Beck-Arnley orifice type unit.

By just inhaling thru each valve, I can say the BA valve passes about 1/3 the air that the GM ball type valve passes. This makes sense based on the info you sent me and would explain the oil loss LS1 owners have complained about.

BTW, you cannot see through the BA valve so it must meter the airflow a bit differently than the new LS1 PVC valve with the reduced 1/16" orifice.

I'll check today and see if my local parts store carries the new LS1 unit. Then I can compare all three!
Raymond-P
Raymond-P

Back to top Go down

Post  Hey_Allen Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:23 pm

If you can't find one of the orifice PCV valves, I have one that I purchased before I stumbled across a LS6 valley cover that I'm planning to use.
I can at least look at the Dorman part number, or even send you the valve since I won't be needing it.

Hey_Allen

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymond-P Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:30 pm

Hey_Allen,

That's a very generous offer! Thank you, but I found the valve on E-bay so I can get my hands on one. I also found more specs and feedback on "GM-Trucks.com"

It seems excessive oil consumption is the primary complaint, but I can't help but feel there may be other inherent engine problems that contribute to this, IE worn piston rings,...not to mention oil loss associated with use of modern conventional light weight oils which are more volatile. I only know this because low volatility is one of the many benefits of synthetic oil vs. conventional oil.

So my plan moving forward, since my engine has yet to run, is to start with the conventional GM ball valve PCV valve. At some point then, I can easily swap out the PCV valve with various alternates and see what happens. Smile
Raymond-P
Raymond-P

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:49 pm

I suggest adding a catch can. My setup went through a few iterations but ended with a dual can from Saikou Michi. The dirty side vents from from the valley and the rear of the heads just has a balance hose. Clean side catches almost nothing but the dirty side collects about a pint of nasty runny oil over the course of a track day. YMMV

Last edited by Rich L. on Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added pic)
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down