944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Adapter plate
LS SWAP NEW A/C System from TPC EmptyYesterday at 3:06 pm by Rob44

» LEAKING TPC HYDROBOOST
LS SWAP NEW A/C System from TPC EmptyWed May 01, 2024 8:32 am by Rob44

» Fesler Saratoga Top
LS SWAP NEW A/C System from TPC EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 8:28 am by JW1970

» Parts availability for general maintenance?
LS SWAP NEW A/C System from TPC EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 10:36 pm by zenon

» What coilover spring rates are you running with torsion bar removed?
LS SWAP NEW A/C System from TPC EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 10:24 pm by zenon

» 944 Turbo TPC Radiator Install Help Needed
LS SWAP NEW A/C System from TPC EmptySun Apr 28, 2024 9:38 am by SpeedRacer11

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
LS SWAP NEW A/C System from TPC EmptySun Apr 28, 2024 12:00 am by Raymond-P

» Best engine uprights/plates
LS SWAP NEW A/C System from TPC EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 11:09 pm by Raymond-P

» Rear coilover suspension setup
LS SWAP NEW A/C System from TPC EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 3:30 pm by ThomasJoseph315

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
LS SWAP NEW A/C System from TPC EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

LS SWAP NEW A/C System from TPC

3 posters

Go down

LS SWAP NEW A/C System from TPC Empty LS SWAP NEW A/C System from TPC

Post  hlricks Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:29 pm

Have 89 N/A that is LS swapped with 5.7. The previous owner removed all AC system minus the evaporator. I purchased a kit from TPC which came with drier, condenser and compressor. Unfortunately, that was all it came with. Does anyone know the sizes for fittings for this system? Does anyone have any instructions or pictures of this system installed? I purchased a universal hose/fitting kit and unfortunately none of the stuff in the kit fits. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

hlricks

Back to top Go down

LS SWAP NEW A/C System from TPC Empty Re: LS SWAP NEW A/C System from TPC

Post  Raymond-P Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:01 pm

Hiricks...

I also have the TPC condenser and drier, and installation is documented in my thread.  The drier is not fully installed yet but I have it located.  Fittings and all hose sizes are provided in my proposed installation diagram.  Check it out.

I used a Sanden compact compressor and mounting system from Dirty Dingo so those parts are different than the TPC product.  As for the hoses, I'm waiting until this Spring when I get the car on the road, and then I plan to take it to a local AC shop to make the lines.

Hope this helps! Smile
Raymond-P
Raymond-P

Back to top Go down

Post  hlricks Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:10 pm

Raymond-P

Excuse the ignorance, but I did not see a link. Did you supply it and I overlooked it? I have all of the pieces physically installed and I am ready to start connections. None of the hose/line/fitting sizes I purchased are fitting the condenser. The fittings/lines are 6,8 and 10.

Thanks

hlricks

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymond-P Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:31 pm

Sorry about that!  My thread is called "Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap"  Each post has a title relative the work being done so it's easily searchable.
Here is the link to the post with the AC diagram I mentioned:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Raymond-P
Raymond-P

Back to top Go down

Post  hlricks Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:21 pm

Thanks Raymond. Great minds think alike. I used the old power steering mount on the tower to connect my drier. I also cut my factory lines at the firewall with an intent on welding/brazing fittings on to them and attaching to the denso connections the screwing the lines down to the evaporator. This will give me the connections at the firewall on the passenger side. From that point I can make the lines and run them down the passenger side to the compressor, drier and condenser. Only headache in this mix is the factor lines are steel. Have to be careful when mating new lines (aluminum). Will have to create some steel connectors attached on one side of rubber hose then finish the rest in aluminum.

hlricks

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymond-P Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:48 pm

Interesting...

As I recall, my factory hard lines were all aluminum with various sections of flex hose as needed.  At least that's what my magnet told me!!

Moving forward I expect the AC shop will use all flexible line with custom made fittings at the factory firewall evaporator connections using the male O-Ring ends of the factory aluminum line.  

All the remaining compressor and condenser lines will have steel bead lock ends with AN fittings.  I'm hoping the cost for custom made lines will be less that my cost for AC line, bead lock fittings, a bead lock crimping tool, and sourcing weldment of the male aluminum O-Ring tubes to aluminum bead lock fittings.

When it comes to AC, this is my first rodeo so I'm learning as I go.

Just out of curiosity, what are you plans to adapt the Porsche high/low switches in the new drier line??
Raymond-P
Raymond-P

Back to top Go down

Post  hlricks Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:46 am

Raymond this is my first rodeo too with a fresh a/c install as my car came with only the evap. Lol. However, I am hoping that my many years as an engineer and working on cars will pay off. Haha. On a more serious note, I have all of the tools to make the lines as well as the rubber lines and fittings. I placed my magnet against the factory lines coming from the evap against the firewall and it stuck like a bad rash. In addition, when I cut them, there was a major carbon bluing. This was the tell all sign. As for the switch, there a couple of options. I have read where some guys are using the Porsche high/low and blocking off the compressor. Have to do some more research on that. Wiring will be the fun part. I want to wire up the LS ECU for controls so I am factoring that in as well. I think I will document my install and post pics as I go through it. I have learned so much from so many on here that have done the same. Stay tuned.....

hlricks

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymond-P Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:40 am

The 944S aluminum AC lines must be some sort of Porsche upgrade for weight savings...who knows.

I'm a bit jealous that you can do your own AC lines Cool ,  sure wish I could!  I'm a retired structural engineer (bridge) and never had the occasion to get into automotive AC...until now.

I'll be following your thread on this one for the high/low switch.  I'm planning to use the Porsche AC controls if possible.  My nephew made me a custom conversion wiring harness using part of the 2002 LS stock harness, and a multitude of new wires to connect the Porsche accessories and my MegaSquirt MS3 Pro Controller.

The wiring will be another "new frontier" for me!
Raymond-P
Raymond-P

Back to top Go down

Post  hlricks Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:58 am

I figured out some things, or would like to think I did.Lol... Thanks to the many posts and knowledgeable supporters in this forum. I was able to complete the physical installation of my TPC A/C system into my 89 N/A. This is not as hard as I thought it would be. The car was purchased missing everything except the evaporator. I was able to purchase the TPC kit with the condenser, compressor and drier. I then turned to ebay for a universal installation kit containing hoses (system only requires hose sizes 6,8 and 10). Kit also includes many fittings and ferules. Also purchased on ebay were the hose cutter (PVC cutting tool) and the ferule crimping tool. After reviewing someone's very detailed diagram (posted in the forum here) I was able to layout my needs. In addition, I purchased the Porsche hose with the high/low switch in it. I removed the fitting with the switch from the hose by carefully cutting it off with a wiz wheel. Then attached a new ferule and hose with a fitting. This was then installed between the drier and the condenser. I will figure out electrical connections later. Enclosed are some pics of the installation at this time.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Looks like there is a limit on how many pics to send at once. Lol

hlricks

Back to top Go down

Post  hlricks Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:02 am

Additional pics of installation process and crimp tool used,[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

hlricks

Back to top Go down

Post  hlricks Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:08 am

After installation of all hoses and parts, Was able to connect a vacuum source and draw down system to -30 bar. System remained at -30 bar for 24 hours showing that the AC system was totally sealed with no leaks. On to electrical connections next.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

My first time doing a full AC install but thanks to Youtube and so many of you guys on the forum, I was able to get the hard stuff done. The process is much easier than you think.

hlricks

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymond-P Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:07 pm

hlricks,

WOW!  Looks like some nice work to me...and your vacuum test proves it was done well!

You're tempting me to invest in a crimping tool and follow your lead.  There are so many out there and the price range is all over the place.  Any recommendation???

My present AC completion obstacles include:
  • Acquiring a good crimping tool

• Welding bead-lock adapter fittings on the factory O-ring ends of the evaporator lines, and

• Repurposing my high/low switch

Thanks for sharing these AC details and pics.  Your project is looking good!
Raymond-P
Raymond-P

Back to top Go down

Post  hlricks Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:39 pm

Raymond;
Here is a list of the items I purchased. Hope you can pull them up. They are from my ebay purchase listings. I recommend this hydraulic press (hand held) because you can take it and use it at the car under the hood if necessary where many others require a vise or a floor resting press. I did have to go to my local AC shop to acquire a couple of additional ferules and they welded the hose connection to the evap (denso) connection for me. This was the hardest part for me because the lines were steel and required some slick brazing with silver oxide and they got it done quick with weld on connectors.

Hose kit

Tubing/Hose cutter

High/Low switch line (to Drier)

Factory 944 (1989 N/A) A/C lines

***Cut these next two lines together into browser***
Crimping tool

hlricks

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymond-P Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:43 pm

Thank you!

Fortunately I have all the factory AC parts I need. Just need to figure out the specific "surgical" procedures to adapt new lines. I'm toying with the idea of re-bending my steel lines at the firewall to get the hose connections out from behind the engine.

All the links worked just fine. The crimping tool is one I was considering for "occasional" use, and I'm glad it worked well for you. The 5 star rating is a good sign too!

I need to research the cost of having the welding/braising done.
Raymond-P
Raymond-P

Back to top Go down

Post  hlricks Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:18 am

Welding is a few dollars. There are connectors for the rubber hoses that weld on to the lines where you cut them. There are also splice line compression fittings. This was one of my options too. Allows you to cut the line off at the firewall then cut a 90 degree bend out of the rest of the line and splice it onto the firewall connection. This allows a tight bend along the passenger side of the vehicle which is much closer to the inner fender and neater. The options are endless but simple. A little more time with the pencil and drawing paper works out great. Lol. I could have done the brazing but the shop guy was nice and a car guy so he did it for free. Would only cost 10-20 bucks to have done. Wish I took picks to show the work. Just cut the firewall/evap connections off the factory line and welded a rubber hose connector onto the high and low side. Then star mapping out and connecting hoses PRIOR to crimping. Easy Peasy.

hlricks

Back to top Go down

Post  hlricks Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:24 am

One more thing. If you have aluminum lines, there is and aluminum brazing rod from Harbor Freights that is awesome. It works just like solder but is designed for stuff like this. Remember, mine are steel. Youtube has videos on using this aluminum solder solution. You would then need to make sure you have aluminum fittings of course.

hlricks

Back to top Go down

Post  viperbmw69 Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:48 pm

hlricks wrote:One more thing. If you have aluminum lines, there is and aluminum brazing rod from Harbor Freights that is awesome. It works just like solder but is designed for stuff like this. Remember, mine are steel. Youtube has videos on using this aluminum solder solution. You would then need to make sure you have aluminum fittings of course.

Can you show a picture of Steel Lines? I thought all were Aluminum lines. I have a 89 s2 chassis

Also what youtube videos show the brazing of Aluminum lines?

viperbmw69

Back to top Go down