944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
Radiator and fan questions EmptyToday at 12:00 am by Raymond-P

» LEAKING TPC HYDROBOOST
Radiator and fan questions EmptyYesterday at 11:46 pm by Raymond-P

» Best engine uprights/plates
Radiator and fan questions EmptyYesterday at 11:09 pm by Raymond-P

» 944 Turbo TPC Radiator Install Help Needed
Radiator and fan questions EmptyYesterday at 10:59 pm by Raymond-P

» Fesler Saratoga Top
Radiator and fan questions EmptyYesterday at 4:44 pm by JW1970

» Rear coilover suspension setup
Radiator and fan questions EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 3:30 pm by ThomasJoseph315

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Radiator and fan questions EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

» LS 982 5speed project here
Radiator and fan questions EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 am by Raymond-P

» LT1 Spark Plug make and model
Radiator and fan questions EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm by Rob44

» 928 5-speed kit
Radiator and fan questions EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 pm by LS982

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Radiator and fan questions

4 posters

Go down

Radiator and fan questions Empty Radiator and fan questions

Post  Bmillar Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:59 am

About to start an LS swap of my 1991 944S2. I've already purchased the engine, its an LS 5.7 from a 2004 Corvette.

The S2 currently runs (anyone want to buy my engine ?) and has a less than 3 year old new OE Porsche radiator. I also currently own a Ron Davis radiator from Renegade of unknown age that appears to be in excellent shape.

I live in a hot climate.

Any opinions on using the stock S2 radiator, using the Renegade/Davis radiator, or going with a custom radiator?

I've owned the S2 for many years and one thing that has always greatly annoyed me is how loud the dual cooling fans on the radiator are. I don't know if this is everyone's experience, but mine sound like a jet engine (can hear them inside the car).

What are my options for a quieter but still efficient radiator fan cooling system if I stay with the stock radiator or Renegade/Davis radiator?

Bmillar

Back to top Go down

Radiator and fan questions Empty RE: radiator

Post  gwistrup Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:47 am

The OE Porsche radiator probably won't work very well if you live where it is hot. You will be better off with the Ron Davis radiator if it is similar to the radiator used in the cooling kit that Texas Performance Concepts sells. The TPC radiator is physically larger and I think it is called a "Dual pass" radiator.

Most importantly, you must retain all of the original plastic ducting and seals because they really help direct the air into the radiator. You also will be MUCH better off if you retain the OEM fan assembly with the new radiator. It sounds like a jet because it works very well at pulling air through the radiator. None of the aftermarket options out there will work as well as the OEM fan.

I originally put a TPC large capacity radiator in my car using the aftermarket fan that came with the kit. It did not run very cool so I put the stock Porsche fan back in per suggestions from this forum. It was better but it would still get hot when driven hard. I finally reinstalled all of the ducts and plastic parts between the bumper and radiator. Now the car cools off when driving down the road. If the gage is in the middle when driving in stop and go traffic, it will cool off to the 1/4 mark after you reach 30 MPH. I thought the big radiator was good enough. It wasn't. You need proper air flow too.

gwistrup

948, Rich L. and Bmillar like this post

Back to top Go down

Radiator and fan questions Empty PM

Post  johntorg Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:14 am

Sent you a PM
johntorg
johntorg

Back to top Go down

Radiator and fan questions Empty Re: Radiator and fan questions

Post  mr965 Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:43 pm

I never could keep mine cool especially on the track. Street driving was fine though. Since I built it for a track car I quickly sold it. What a money pit Crying or Very sad

mr965

Back to top Go down

Post  Bmillar Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:15 pm

mr965 wrote:I never could keep mine cool especially on the track. Street driving was fine though. Since I built it for a track car I quickly sold it. What a money pit Crying or Very sad

Understand about the money pit angle. I've built a few restomods over the years and have been into 944's a long time, so I'm familiar. What radiator did you run? Any thoughts on what you could have done better or differently?

Bmillar

Back to top Go down

Post  Bmillar Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:16 pm

Thanks, this is valuable info. Much appreciated.

gwistrup wrote:The OE Porsche radiator probably won't work very well if you live where it is hot.  You will be better off with the Ron Davis radiator if it is similar to the radiator used in the cooling kit that Texas Performance Concepts sells.  The TPC radiator is physically larger and I think it is called a "Dual pass" radiator.

Most importantly, you must retain all of the original plastic ducting and seals because they really help direct the air into the radiator.  You also will be MUCH better off if you retain the OEM fan assembly with the new radiator.  It sounds like a jet because it works very well at pulling air through the radiator.  None of the aftermarket options out there will work as well as the OEM fan.  

I originally put a TPC large capacity radiator in my car using the aftermarket fan that came with the kit.  It did not run very cool so I put the stock Porsche fan back in per suggestions from this forum.  It was better but it would still get hot when driven hard.  I finally reinstalled all of the ducts and plastic parts between the bumper and radiator.  Now the car cools off when driving down the road.  If the gage is in the middle when driving in stop and go traffic, it will cool off to the 1/4 mark after you reach 30 MPH.  I thought the big radiator was good enough. It wasn't.  You need proper air flow too.        

Bmillar

Back to top Go down