944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» 944 Turbo TPC Radiator Install Help Needed
Engine reccomendation EmptyToday at 7:08 am by gwistrup

» Best engine uprights/plates
Engine reccomendation EmptyYesterday at 10:12 am by Nath1142

» LEAKING TPC HYDROBOOST
Engine reccomendation EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:22 pm by lowform

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
Engine reccomendation EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:12 pm by lowform

» Fesler Saratoga Top
Engine reccomendation EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 7:28 pm by JW1970

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Engine reccomendation EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

» LS 982 5speed project here
Engine reccomendation EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 am by Raymond-P

» LT1 Spark Plug make and model
Engine reccomendation EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm by Rob44

» 928 5-speed kit
Engine reccomendation EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 pm by LS982

» Slave Cylinder Spacing from Clutch Fingers
Engine reccomendation EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 1:54 am by lowform

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Engine reccomendation

2 posters

Go down

Engine reccomendation Empty Engine reccomendation

Post  riccardogale Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:27 pm

As I mentioned in my post yesterday, I am considering an LS swap into my 944 Turbo race car. I'd love to find someone with significant experience with these to consult me, and am more than happy to pay them for their time, so please reach out to me if that's you!

But in the meantime, I've been looking at used LS motors on car-part.com and am wondering if anyone has a strong opinion on which is best. Specifically, is there any reason to shy away from the Gen V L83? I am thinking about a 350hp motor, not a beast. And I'd like it to be all aluminum for weight considerations. So the Gen V L83 seems ideal because it is the newest and most advanced (presumably) which being relatively sedate and aluminum. I assume the TPG kit works on this motor. Any reason to go with an earlier motor?

riccardogale
riccardogale

Back to top Go down

Engine reccomendation Empty Re: Engine reccomendation

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:44 pm

riccardogale wrote:As I mentioned in my post yesterday, I am considering an LS swap into my 944 Turbo race car.  I'd love to find someone with significant experience with these to consult me, and am more than happy to pay them for their time, so please reach out to me if that's you!

But in the meantime, I've been looking at used LS motors on car-part.com and am wondering if anyone has a strong opinion on which is best.  Specifically, is there any reason to shy away from the Gen V L83?  I am thinking about a 350hp motor, not a beast.  And I'd like it to be all aluminum for weight considerations.  So the Gen V L83 seems ideal because it is the newest and most advanced (presumably) which being relatively sedate and aluminum.  I assume the TPG kit works on this motor.  Any reason to go with an earlier motor?

I don't recommend the late engines at all. Too many bells and whistles as such. Stick with an early LS. Specifically the 03-08 5.3 liters. LM4 and L33 are both aluminum blocks and heads. They are still reasonable to buy and are plentiful. With minor mods they will make 350hp easily and very reliably.
You can still find LS1 and LS6 engines, but they demand a high price.
Almost every engine I buy comes from eBay. I've found the sellers there to be more reliable than salvage yards. I just recently bought a 30k mile 5.3 for a little over $1200. Resealed it completely. Had it tuned and it made 301hp and 326tq at the rear wheels in a 944 with an LS1 intake and throttle body. An aftermarket cam would have put it to 350hp.

As far as the L83, no the TPC kit will not work on it. Subtle differences, but enough to not work. Plus the L83 has variable valve timing, Air flow management (cylinder delete), and direct injection. More complicated software tuning. And the engine is quite a bit taller, so hood won't clear.
Hotrodz of Dallas
Hotrodz of Dallas

riccardogale likes this post

Back to top Go down

Engine reccomendation Empty Thank you

Post  riccardogale Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:31 pm

Thank you Bob! That is great intel. I had just assumed that a newer and more advanced motor would be preferable, but you know what they say about assuming.

I'll start checking EBay listings.
riccardogale
riccardogale

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum