944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» 944 Turbo TPC Radiator Install Help Needed
LS6 Batwing Oil Pan  EmptyToday at 7:08 am by gwistrup

» Best engine uprights/plates
LS6 Batwing Oil Pan  EmptyYesterday at 10:12 am by Nath1142

» LEAKING TPC HYDROBOOST
LS6 Batwing Oil Pan  EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:22 pm by lowform

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
LS6 Batwing Oil Pan  EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:12 pm by lowform

» Fesler Saratoga Top
LS6 Batwing Oil Pan  EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 7:28 pm by JW1970

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
LS6 Batwing Oil Pan  EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

» LS 982 5speed project here
LS6 Batwing Oil Pan  EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 am by Raymond-P

» LT1 Spark Plug make and model
LS6 Batwing Oil Pan  EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm by Rob44

» 928 5-speed kit
LS6 Batwing Oil Pan  EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 pm by LS982

» Slave Cylinder Spacing from Clutch Fingers
LS6 Batwing Oil Pan  EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 1:54 am by lowform

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

LS6 Batwing Oil Pan

+2
944-LT1
jpkinerk
6 posters

Go down

LS6 Batwing Oil Pan  Empty LS6 Batwing Oil Pan

Post  jpkinerk Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:18 pm

A search of the site came up with one post documenting this pan doesn't fit, but just how bad doesn't it fit? Could it be modified to do the job? I'm just considering all options to avoid oil starvation and wondered how much security this would gain me if I could make it work.

Thanks!
jpkinerk
jpkinerk

Back to top Go down

LS6 Batwing Oil Pan  Empty Re: LS6 Batwing Oil Pan

Post  944-LT1 Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:20 pm

I've never tried that pan. Best guess is that the exhaust manifold downpipes would have no way to exit the engine bay due to the pans' kick-outs. The pan would first have to be low profile enough to fit between the engine and the crossmember. Then it would have to be clearanced for the steering bosses. It would be some significant modifications. At that point I may consider the dry sump system (no idea how or if it would work), or a standard converted pan with an accusump or a pan that has serious baffling installed.

I don't see why the steel pan we all use can't be modified by making kick-outs and baffles with whatever space you have left after fitting your exhaust system. Only reason I suggest the steel pan is that the batwing pan is cast aluminum which could be a pita to weld.

Interested in hearing from others who may have tried that pan as to why is doesnt work.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkey Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:52 pm

looking at the measurements i dont think it will fit. looks im guessing the batwing pan will want to share space with the crossmember. i dont think the wings would be an issue as far as exhaust exit goes.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

just a thought, but if its close modding the crossmember could be an option. you could start with one of those 3 piece crossmembers and build the center piece out of round steel tubing. could also cut a significant amount out of the crossmember and box it back in. just a thought.

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:58 am

I haven't tried one, but I don't see it working at all. You would have to build a whole new crossmember and relocate the steering rack forward. Plus, long tube headers definitely won't work with it in the 944.

Another issue with the batwing pan, is that they are known for causing oil starvation in hard corners.
Hotrodz of Dallas
Hotrodz of Dallas

Back to top Go down

Post  jpkinerk Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:25 am

All good thoughts here guys, thank you. The biggest red flag for me though is the mention of batwing pans oil starving. I was under the impression that in the C5 Z06 the batwing pan was part of the "magic" that allowed the LS6 to thrive in track environments. Knowing that definitely changes my perspective.

JP
jpkinerk
jpkinerk

Back to top Go down

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:13 pm

jpkinerk wrote:All good thoughts here guys, thank you. The biggest red flag for me though is the mention of batwing pans oil starving. I was under the impression that in the C5 Z06 the batwing pan was part of the "magic" that allowed the LS6 to thrive in track environments. Knowing that definitely changes my perspective.

JP

I work closely with the local Vette performance shop. They replace a lot of engines in the C5's for oil starvation. The Z06 is actually a dry sump engine, so It doesn't have near the problems of the base vettes with the batwing pan.
Hotrodz of Dallas
Hotrodz of Dallas

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:33 pm

We did try that pan in the early days and it is not an option.

Sorry

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.TexasPerformanceConcepts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  superman22x Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:30 pm

I did talk to a guy who used an L92 oil pan recently.  He trimmed it a bit, but it worked.

Checking back on the email here is what he said, "L92 truck pan is what I used cut 1/2 inch to clear Xmember and 1 1/2 out of sump."

I would like to do this myself, but I can't weld aluminum...

superman22x

Back to top Go down

Post  jpkinerk Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:51 pm

Ha, that's ironic because I'm running an L92, but alas I think the TPC pan is what I'll be sticking with. It's a great unit and is well baffled. I had already ordered on actually, I've just been doing research to hedge my bets for the long track sweepers. Dry sump just seemed like it was going to be a pain to get the pan and lines to work. My currently plan is TPC oil pan and an accusump system.

Speaking of, I thought Accusumps were just for startups and such, I didn't realize you can set them up to come on when oil pressure drops (like in a sweeping turn) for 3-4 seconds. Has anyone set this up? I'm guessing it read oil pressure and has some sort of switch that triggers? I didn't see any accessories on their site that seemed to fit this bill.

superman22x wrote:I did talk to a guy who used an L92 oil pan recently.  He trimmed it a bit, but it worked.

Checking back on the email here is what he said, "L92 truck pan is what I used cut 1/2 inch to clear Xmember and 1 1/2 out of sump."

I would like to do this myself, but I can't weld aluminum...

jpkinerk
jpkinerk

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkey Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:18 pm

an accusump is an oil accumulator. most people think of them for pre oiling on start up, however thats only part of what its for. the idea is on start up you open the valve on the accusump and it will fill the oiling system with oil and assure no dry starts ocurre. once the engine is started engine oil pressure fills the accusump back up. if at any point the engine is running and the oil pressure drops for any reason, oil will be pushed out of the accusump and into the engine. once the oil pressure returns the accusump will be filled back up again. the valve needs to be closed before the car is shut off in order to keep the accusump full for the next startup. an electric valve model makes life a lot easier, you can wire it to the ignition switch so opening and closing it is never an issue.

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Post  superman22x Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:58 am

Do you have the old L92 oil pan? I'll trade a set of Z06 caliper adapters for the pan, haha.

superman22x

Back to top Go down

Post  jpkinerk Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:24 pm

Ahhh, thanks Sharkey! That's so simple. Leave it to me to overcomplicate things. That makes total sense. I see now why everyone talks about these Accusumps now.

JP

jpkinerk
jpkinerk

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum