944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» 88 951 LS1 TRACK CAR FOR SALE
Steering wheel vibration EmptyThu Sep 12, 2024 11:13 am by T951

» JP's LS1 Conversion
Steering wheel vibration EmptyMon Sep 09, 2024 6:29 pm by jpkinerk

» 928 Wilwood Integra Caliper Adapters
Steering wheel vibration EmptyTue Sep 03, 2024 7:58 am by xschop

» 930 CV adapters
Steering wheel vibration EmptyTue Sep 03, 2024 7:38 am by xschop

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Steering wheel vibration EmptyMon Sep 02, 2024 12:23 am by Raymond-P

» LS2 Mounts
Steering wheel vibration EmptySun Sep 01, 2024 8:08 pm by jpkinerk

» Solid Transmission Mount By XSCHOP - $125
Steering wheel vibration EmptyFri Aug 23, 2024 10:33 pm by unique202

» 40 Years Old
Steering wheel vibration EmptyThu Aug 22, 2024 8:51 pm by JW1970

» Steering wheel vibration
Steering wheel vibration EmptyMon Aug 19, 2024 12:29 am by Raymond-P

» Clutch options
Steering wheel vibration EmptyWed Aug 14, 2024 9:19 pm by sharkey

September 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Steering wheel vibration

2 posters

Go down

Steering wheel vibration Empty Steering wheel vibration

Post  123caporale Sat Aug 17, 2024 2:24 pm

86 944 ls3 swap. Prior to the swap I noticed a vibration while driving came in around 40 and then would start to shake the steering wheel bad as I accelerated. I figured tires where old and when I would do the swap the wheels and tires would be replaced.
So this is where Iam now. Swap is complete and still have the vibration..
This is what has been done. New wheels and tires I road forced the wheel twice to make sure rebuilt rack new inner and outer tie rod ends, new steering shaft factory control arm bushings and ball joints, new struts and strut mounts alignment is good did that again today. I own a shop so I have everything at my disposal. The Strang thing is I can drive down the road and it may be fine then I true around and start to accelerate it comes back in I have to say its pretty bad. Also I have replaced the wheel bearings and races and turned the rotors on my lathe. The hubs are in great shape I have ran a straight edge across them prior to turning the rotors the rotors cut perfect and you can see them as they are being cut how they look.
I have not done a rotor run out with them on the car figured since they cut well they should be good.
I have even tried other wheels still the same. The rack is from 944 online I know Ian well new rack clamps and bushings as well on it. To me it seems to be all centralized in the steering column itself. Steering column is tight. What am I missing here??? Thanks in advance for any help I have hit a wall with this. The other thing I have been thinking about is how does the steering shaft still line up to the notched spots on the rack and column when the cradle has been lowered 1/2?

123caporale

Back to top Go down

Steering wheel vibration Empty Wheel Balance

Post  Raymond-P Mon Aug 19, 2024 12:29 am

Your description sounds like the classic out of balance condition....especially because it starts at 40 mph.

However, when you said you "road forced the wheel twice to make sure" perhaps you were referring to a dynamic wheel balance on the vehicle.

Either way, I think you need to determine if the vibration is purely speed related and not dependent on engine rpm.  

While coasting at 40+MPH, the source of vibration felt in the steering wheel, is either an out of balance tire, a bent rim, pulsing brakes or steering rack issues.  It seems you have eliminated the tires and wheels if they were balanced.  The reconditioned rotors should eliminate the brakes.  Rims in good shape?  Are you sure the rack is secure?  

A friend brought a car to me with steering issues that included play and vibration at speed.  Turns out the rack was coming loose from the chassis!

BTW, are you using a hydro boost for power steering?  It may be an irregular pressure issue pulsing the rack mechanism.  Just guessing here, I'm not that familiar with HB function.  i know they have to be filled properly and the fluid must be worked in by turning the rack stop to stop multiple times. 

Regarding the steering shaft compatibility with the rack and steering column, 1/2 inch spacers on the cradle do not prevent the factory connection.  It mostly changes the angle of the steering shaft and not the length.

Keep us posted!
Raymond-P
Raymond-P

123caporale likes this post

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum