944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» 944 Turbo TPC Radiator Install Help Needed
Oil leak on top of valley cover EmptyToday at 7:08 am by gwistrup

» Best engine uprights/plates
Oil leak on top of valley cover EmptyYesterday at 10:12 am by Nath1142

» LEAKING TPC HYDROBOOST
Oil leak on top of valley cover EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:22 pm by lowform

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
Oil leak on top of valley cover EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:12 pm by lowform

» Fesler Saratoga Top
Oil leak on top of valley cover EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 7:28 pm by JW1970

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Oil leak on top of valley cover EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

» LS 982 5speed project here
Oil leak on top of valley cover EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 am by Raymond-P

» LT1 Spark Plug make and model
Oil leak on top of valley cover EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm by Rob44

» 928 5-speed kit
Oil leak on top of valley cover EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 pm by LS982

» Slave Cylinder Spacing from Clutch Fingers
Oil leak on top of valley cover EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 1:54 am by lowform

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Oil leak on top of valley cover

5 posters

Go down

Oil leak on top of valley cover Empty Oil leak on top of valley cover

Post  jpkinerk Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:11 pm

Well, title says it all. I have standing oil on top of my valley cover. It leaks primarily off the front of the engine, but some off the back as well. There was no standing oil inside the intake. Lots in valley pan holes where the knock sensors go though. The front knock sensor was completely submerged in oil. I replaced the valley cover gastket, knock sensor seals, valve cover gaskets, intake manifold caskets and checked all my vacuum plugs, oil pressure sender, etc. Anyway, it's still leaking. I can see oil drooling off the front of the valley cover and down the timing cover already... Any ideas?

Much thanks,

JP

jpkinerk
jpkinerk

Back to top Go down

Oil leak on top of valley cover Empty leak

Post  kevin924kevin Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:18 pm

There must be some damage to one of the surfaces. You will have to take apart and check for any nicks or marks. Other than that you could add a little silicone to help fill the surface imperfections.
kevin924kevin
kevin924kevin

Back to top Go down

Oil leak on top of valley cover Empty Re: Oil leak on top of valley cover

Post  jpkinerk Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:24 pm

Thats what I was thinking too, but upon inspection everything seemed fine. I cleaned all the surfaces as well. I suppose something could be out of square, but it was a 70k motor that had never been blown apart, so something just seems fishy. Am I right in thinking that I've addressed all the likely locations it would be coming from?

My only other thought is the PCV system. I'm still running the LS1 valley cover. For my PVC I've run the rear of the drivers side valve cover (with smaller valve) to the throtle body. I then capped both sides on the front of the intake, as well as the passenger side valve cover. Just FYI in case I botched it all up.

Thanks

jpkinerk
jpkinerk

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:57 pm

I bet the oil is coming up through the front knock sensor. I figure your valley cover may be warped or damaged around the front knock sensor. Check the block where the knock sensor gaskets seal against also.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:00 am

I'd get the easy stuff sorted before digging deeper in there again. The PCV could cause oil leakage up top and it doesn't sound like you have it right.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  jpkinerk Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:31 pm

Thanks everyone,

I'll try messing with the PCV system first, then look into the valley cover again if that doesn't work. My current PCV setup was inspired via a post I saw on here to reduce the tjypical LS1 oil consumption, but until I figure this out I may just have to deal with that.

Out of curioisty, if it is the PCV system, how the hell is it getting onto the top of the valley cover? Too much crankcase pressure?

Cheers,

JP

jpkinerk
jpkinerk

Back to top Go down

Post  money pit 951 Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:12 am

Too much case pressure is blowing the oil out the weakest hole/gasket is my guess. Two ways to fix - the right way is to see why you have too much crank case pressure (hint: it's your rings!). The cheaper way is to increase your crank venting to reduce the pressure.

I would start by taking both valve cover vents and running them to a catch can - a coke bottle would work fine. Run then engine a bit and see how much oil is collected and if the oil still pools on the valley cover. That will tell you how bad your problem is.

You might also want to check your intake to see if it's covered in oil.
money pit 951
money pit 951

Back to top Go down