944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Honda k24 swap
Ford: Engineering nightmare or fun? - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 6:12 am by Colibri Green

» NDog52's 1986 NA 5.3 Build
Ford: Engineering nightmare or fun? - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 6:28 pm by Raymond-P

» power steering pump
Ford: Engineering nightmare or fun? - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 3:29 pm by Blaizefed

» FRESH BUILD - after a few miles became hard to get into gear
Ford: Engineering nightmare or fun? - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 1:30 pm by Raymond-P

» VATS Bypass/Delete
Ford: Engineering nightmare or fun? - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by 948

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Ford: Engineering nightmare or fun? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 11:52 pm by Raymond-P

» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
Ford: Engineering nightmare or fun? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 1:17 pm by Rob44

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
Ford: Engineering nightmare or fun? - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
Ford: Engineering nightmare or fun? - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
Ford: Engineering nightmare or fun? - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Ford: Engineering nightmare or fun?

+7
haroldk
xschop
racertomtom
sharkey
jimlam56
v2rocket
zeusrotty
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Ford: Engineering nightmare or fun? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ford: Engineering nightmare or fun?

Post  racertomtom Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:03 am

matthewb wrote:In case anyone is interested, there is a 944 coyote on the road...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Let me know if the pictures don't work, first time doing them.
Congrats! Is there a build thread in your future? I've got a couple hundred questions. Smile Pictures worked.

racertomtom

Back to top Go down

Ford: Engineering nightmare or fun? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ford: Engineering nightmare or fun?

Post  v2rocket Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:35 am

matthewb wrote:In case anyone is interested, there is a 944 coyote on the road...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Let me know if the pictures don't work, first time doing them.

DAMN!!
That packaged really well!

v2rocket

Back to top Go down

Post  matthewb Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:44 am

I agree. It's really snug in there but but I think with a little more clean up and probably some paint on the intake elbow I made, it will kind of look like it belongs there. The clearances are really close.

As far as a build thread goes, I don't know if I will get to it. I may get some more pictures up and a little more detail about how I did it. It took some firewall cutting for the drivers side head. And takes a custom shallow depth bellhousing and some adapter work back there. Plus a lot of oil pan modification and completely custom headers. Moved the brakes and clutch completely inside the firewall. It's no picnic but I think it looks really clean.

I need some minor tweaks to the tune but it's coming along really well. I've got about 500 miles on it already. Been on the road just over a week.

matthewb

Back to top Go down

Post  haroldk Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:11 pm

Dang, that's pretty cool.
haroldk
haroldk

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:50 am

Congrats! Please please please don't put a Calvin pissing on a bowtie sticker on it. Wink

Rich
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  PorkChop Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:22 pm

Are you guys bolting the coyotes to the stock transmission?

PorkChop

Back to top Go down

Post  matthewb Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:53 pm

I am using a 944 turbo gearbox. I have added the 3/8" stiffener plate behind the pinion shaft but aside from that it is stock.

matthewb

Back to top Go down

Post  PorkChop Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:30 am

Thats pretty awesome. Grats on a sweet build.

Im looking at procuring a wrecked 2016 stang and swaping over the motor and driveline. I need to get back home to do all the measuring. I know the tunnel will have to be cut to fit the tremec. I have poked around a little but, havent found anyone using a front mounting transmission besides one all out dragster. I do like the vette transaxle in the back but, im more of a ford guy.

Questions: from what i gather you realy cant dog the transmissions with the v8s. How much does the brace help?

Can you point me towards someones build who has done the front mount tranny swap with a soild or irs set up?

Edit: found sparkydogs thread.

PorkChop

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkey Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:59 am

there isnt much documented here for putting a front trans in, not many do it. a few have done the vette transaxle, and its just as involved, but i think its a better option. and its a tremec too, so you dont have to tell people you have a gm trans, just that its a tremec lol.

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Post  matthewb Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:16 am

I think that in general, the tires are the limiting factor. The limited traction likely helps these transmissions survive. Obviously if you do a lot of side stepping the clutch you will probably still manage to break it.
I put the plate in mine because I had the opportunity to, no because I ever broke a transaxle. The other thing to consider is that I don't think the coyote makes as much torque as most of the GM motors that are being swapped, it just breathes well up top and spins pretty fast so it carries the torque curve further out to get the high power. Torque with break transmissions, power will overheat them if you push it long enough or don't cool it.
So if you hold back from sudden torque spikes like side stepping the clutch, you will probably hold up ok if your transmission is in good shape.

matthewb

Back to top Go down

Post  sparkydog Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:16 pm

PorkChop wrote:Can you point me towards someones build who has done the front mount tranny swap with a soild or irs set up?

Edit: found sparkydogs thread.

The two main areas you need to think about with the trans up front in a 944 are:
1) IMO the floor pan is weak in the area where the trans cross member has to go (which is about 4-10" in front of the seat mount rails). So you need to be prepared to fab a solution that will tie into the rockers or, devise some sub-rails that straddle the trans and tie into the seat rail and up front into the firewall structure somehow.

2) If you are planning to retain the stock 944 HVAC unit, you need to be careful that your new trans hump does not occupy the same air space as where this unit goes. On most hot rods, street rods and the like - people don't really sweat this because 90% of the world's cars do not have the HVAC unit in the middle of the dash, or the trans hump is not so big that it becomes an issue. But in the 944 the hump will be high and the HVAC will hang low!
sparkydog
sparkydog

Back to top Go down

Post  matthewb Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:33 am

Hey Tom,

Any updates on the Coyote swap?

matthewb

Back to top Go down

Post  racertomtom Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:41 pm

matthewb wrote:Hey Tom,

Any updates on the Coyote swap?
Well......I guess my roots run deeper than I thought. I made a horrible miscalculation and went to the drag races as an addict. Long story short and despite the 18" wheels, six piston calipers, etc. etc. that I collected, The car is stripped and is becoming a tube chassis drag car. Still a coyote but with a powerglide, nine inch rear, 4-link, tubs, slicks, you get the idea. I'm bending my own tubing etc. and the project is going slow but it is still in the works. Shooting for a Super Gas caliper car.

racertomtom

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2