944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» 944 Turbo TPC Radiator Install Help Needed
Hello All and Thanks!!! EmptyToday at 7:08 am by gwistrup

» Best engine uprights/plates
Hello All and Thanks!!! EmptyYesterday at 10:12 am by Nath1142

» LEAKING TPC HYDROBOOST
Hello All and Thanks!!! EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:22 pm by lowform

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
Hello All and Thanks!!! EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:12 pm by lowform

» Fesler Saratoga Top
Hello All and Thanks!!! EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 7:28 pm by JW1970

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Hello All and Thanks!!! EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

» LS 982 5speed project here
Hello All and Thanks!!! EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 am by Raymond-P

» LT1 Spark Plug make and model
Hello All and Thanks!!! EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm by Rob44

» 928 5-speed kit
Hello All and Thanks!!! EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 pm by LS982

» Slave Cylinder Spacing from Clutch Fingers
Hello All and Thanks!!! EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 1:54 am by lowform

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Hello All and Thanks!!!

4 posters

Go down

Hello All and Thanks!!! Empty Hello All and Thanks!!!

Post  urthegman Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:43 am

Just want to start off by saying thank you for the wealth of information on the site and let you know that because of all the information here, I recently decided to convert my '85 944 na to a v8. I am NOT very knowledgeable when it comes to the mechanical operation of an automobile, so if you talk to me like I am an idiot, not only will I not be offended,I will appreciate it!!! LOL Very Happy  Previously, since I also have an '86 944 turbo, I was going to have the turbo engine put into the na. Why,you ask? I had the na painted like the American flag prior to owning the turbo and it bothered me to have such a good looking car drive so darn slow! I brought it to a garage and that is where it is now because the '86 turbo transaxle would not fit the early '85 na frame. I did a little reading around here and I am relieved to have read, that the na tranny will not be a problem with a v8 engine. I was thinking I was going to be able to use the brakes from the '86 turbo, but I also read that they may not be sufficient, did I read that right? My second question is are there any parts from the '86 turbo that I might want to salvage for the new build? I am leaning toward a '97 or 2000 C5 LS1 engine and I guess acquiring one would be my first step to getting the '85 na back on the road. Thanks for any help and/or direction that you may be so kind to lend me. Just wanted to add, I intend to use the car for street usage. Sincerely, George

Last edited by urthegman on Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More info)

urthegman

Back to top Go down

Hello All and Thanks!!! Empty Re: Hello All and Thanks!!!

Post  Lemming Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:27 pm

Welcome.

Why can you not put the turbo transaxle in the '85 NA? As far as I know, it will fit. You may have to change trans hanger, but that should be it.
Lemming
Lemming

Back to top Go down

Post  urthegman Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:38 pm

Thanks for the reply. I know that the mechanic tried. Would I need to change the trans hanger to an '85 turbo one to make it fit? It may not be an issue if the n/a tranny can handle the v8 anyway. I'm trying to free up room in his shop and need to know what parts from the '86 turbo would be worth saving for the '85 with a '97 or 2000 C5 LS1 engine build and if the brakes from the '86 turbo would be sufficient for the power of the v8.

urthegman

Back to top Go down

Hello All and Thanks!!! Empty Re: Hello All and Thanks!!! Tranny mounts

Post  Tehone Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:59 pm

This is what I found out as I have an 84' N/A that had a Auto tranny and I changed it out to a 86-87' turbo manual tranny.  You can not use the 86' turbo hanger mount unless you do some fabrication to the sheet metal and tubular brace in the early car.  I didn't have the patience to do that so I performed the following.  

You need to get a pair of the early tranny metal mount plates. Disregard the mount on the far left it was from the auto trans.  The two on the right is what you need.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
This is where they mount up on the side of the tans...
Depending on the year of the trans you have one side cover has all three holes to bolt the plate to.  The opposite side many or may not have all three holes or it could.  It should have two holes.  Mine did not have all three but this is not a problem as there was a quick fix posted on the forum and it looked as this...
Remove the triangular aluminum bracket that is used for the late hanger mount and use one of the holes for a bracket support that is modded to the metal bracket as seen in the last photo.  This will give the add strength from not have the third mount hole in the side cover on the trans..
Going back to a previous photo attached to the black trans mount plates is Xschop's billet aluminum brackets that include poly bushings that he was making for the "late trans into early cars".  Contact Xschop as he may still be making them.
Please use the ADVANCED search (very very helpful besides all the members most of your questions will be answered using this) function in for this forum the How To instructions are posted in the upper left corner of the HOME page.  The magical button is just to the right of the F&Q button.  The Search box on the right is not the ADVANCED Search.

I hope this is /has been helpful.  If I have left anything out others will jump in and add additional information.  Enjoy your build.

Last edited by Tehone on Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong direction)

Tehone

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemming Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:10 am

Here's a pic of a turbo S trans in my old 924S. I just used the old style hangers.

Lemming
Lemming

Back to top Go down

Post  944convert Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:42 pm

Lemming wrote:Here's a pic of a turbo S trans in my old 924S.  I just used the old style hangers
That what I thought...I'm I correct in thinking some 'late' transmissions may be missing a complete bolt 'boss' and would need the blank boss to be drilled and tapped for the 'early' mount bolt (or two)?

944convert

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum