944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» 944 Turbo TPC Radiator Install Help Needed
confirm my FP wiring and purple starter wire? EmptyToday at 7:08 am by gwistrup

» Best engine uprights/plates
confirm my FP wiring and purple starter wire? EmptyYesterday at 10:12 am by Nath1142

» LEAKING TPC HYDROBOOST
confirm my FP wiring and purple starter wire? EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:22 pm by lowform

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
confirm my FP wiring and purple starter wire? EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:12 pm by lowform

» Fesler Saratoga Top
confirm my FP wiring and purple starter wire? EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 7:28 pm by JW1970

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
confirm my FP wiring and purple starter wire? EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

» LS 982 5speed project here
confirm my FP wiring and purple starter wire? EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 am by Raymond-P

» LT1 Spark Plug make and model
confirm my FP wiring and purple starter wire? EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm by Rob44

» 928 5-speed kit
confirm my FP wiring and purple starter wire? EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 pm by LS982

» Slave Cylinder Spacing from Clutch Fingers
confirm my FP wiring and purple starter wire? EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 1:54 am by lowform

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

confirm my FP wiring and purple starter wire?

4 posters

Go down

confirm my FP wiring and purple starter wire? Empty confirm my FP wiring and purple starter wire?

Post  rooster Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:31 pm

I'm getting closer to being able turn the key on this beast but I need some help on a few wires.

I have a new relay wired in per xschops diagram to turn on the pump, the last connection to make is to the pump itself. If I pull the green/black - Pin #4 wire from the 14 pin connector back into area below the fuse panel and make my connection there, will that work and will it bypass the DME relay and #34 fuse?

Can I get rid of all the other wires from the 14 pin connector at that point?

Secondly, what do I do with the large purple wire from my LS1 harness labeled "to starter"? I made all my connections from the battery to the starter, alternator, ground, etc. I have the Red/Black wire from the firewall going to the small post of the starter and I can get the starter to crank over (I have not tried cranking the car any more than just bumping the starter). I think that is all I need correct? What does this large purple wire do? Do I need to connect it to the small lug on the starter?

-rooster

rooster

Back to top Go down

confirm my FP wiring and purple starter wire? Empty Re: confirm my FP wiring and purple starter wire?

Post  marc a Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:52 pm

Can't help on the first question, I did mine differently.

On the second question, I only used the 944 wiring to the starter, which was one wire to the solenoid and the main power from the battery. PCM was insulated from the starting circuit to make it simple.

Last edited by marc a on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
marc a
marc a

Back to top Go down

confirm my FP wiring and purple starter wire? Empty Re: confirm my FP wiring and purple starter wire?

Post  Rich L. Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:39 pm

On your 1st question, I made the connection to the fuel pump in place of the DME relay itself. I pulled the relay out of the fuse panel and punched the wire from the new relay in the LS1 harness right into the hole where the DME output used to go. It's the gray wire here:

confirm my FP wiring and purple starter wire? Fusebo10

It would certainly be better to find that wire beneath the panel and solder them together.

And I did the same as Marc on the 2nd question, I used only the original 944 starter circuit. Although I am experiencing some intermittent-ness in it's operation. It was fine initially, but lately the starter cranks for a moment and then stops, then cranks again. Usually the engine catches on one of these bursts. I wiggle all the connections at the starter itself and they're all tight. Ground is through the block, right? Could this be bad? Could my ignition switch be going out?

Rich
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  948inVA Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:50 pm

My starter stopped working randomly.. I think I just cleaned the nut and washer on the ground wire post and that fixed it.

948inVA
948inVA

Back to top Go down

Post  rooster Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:29 am

Thanks for the replies. I got a hold of Admin and confirmed that the purple starter wire is unecessary if you wire directly from the porsche circuit (thick red/black wire on the fire wall) to the starter. My starter just had the two threaded lugs anway, no scoket to accept the GM plug on the end of the purple wire. Hopefully this helps someone out in the future.

As to my fuel pump wire, I tied into the green/back at the 14 pin connector on the fire wall as I said but I like what Rich did. I'll do that instead or try to trace the fuel pump wire underneath the fuse panel and solder it there.

This weekend is the final push to get her running, I'm waiting on some longer spark plug leads since I had to mount two coils on the frame due to my Hydorboost being in the way. Wish me luck.

rooster

Back to top Go down