944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» 944 Turbo TPC Radiator Install Help Needed
electrical relocation EmptyYesterday at 10:41 pm by MotoRider42HC

» Best engine uprights/plates
electrical relocation EmptyYesterday at 10:12 am by Nath1142

» LEAKING TPC HYDROBOOST
electrical relocation EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:22 pm by lowform

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
electrical relocation EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:12 pm by lowform

» Fesler Saratoga Top
electrical relocation EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 7:28 pm by JW1970

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
electrical relocation EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

» LS 982 5speed project here
electrical relocation EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 am by Raymond-P

» LT1 Spark Plug make and model
electrical relocation EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm by Rob44

» 928 5-speed kit
electrical relocation EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 pm by LS982

» Slave Cylinder Spacing from Clutch Fingers
electrical relocation EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 1:54 am by lowform

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

electrical relocation

3 posters

Go down

electrical relocation Empty electrical relocation

Post  cfgioja Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:27 pm

I have gone beyond a basic harness and have been working on relocating my electrics this last couple of weeks. Its almost done and I figured its time to bring the full project into view. I will eventually ditch the oem fuse box for a more suitable setup that will not leave so many open connections on its board. This is what I have.

electrical relocation Electr10

The biggest issue I see doing this is that it relocates a good chunk of wires that will be finding a new home some where besides under the door trim. The majority of the work is complete. I will need to modify the tire well to make a seat for the battery and fuse box. My idea is to cut out the existing fuse box holder and use that for the fuse box to sit in, then fiberglass over what is left up front. Is there any other ideas for this?

The plus side of this is the little bit of weight the battery puts up front will be in the back now, and it removes the chances of unneeded moisture from reaching these two peices of the electrical system.
cfgioja
cfgioja

Back to top Go down

electrical relocation Empty Re: electrical relocation

Post  948inVA Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:09 pm

Why do you want to get rid of the fuse box? Seems like you will need most of the circuits in there unless you're stripping the car for racing.
948inVA
948inVA

Back to top Go down

Post  cfgioja Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:29 pm

Well I am not stripping the car for racing. Since the beginning of this project about 3 years ago, I have noticed alot of things that have broken or where broke from previous owners through the two 944s I have owned. During alot of searching for the parts I always ran into a problem, either the parts where bad or they were too expensive to replace with remaned parts.

I decided to build a car of simplicity. I have ditched power windows for 924 manual regulators and the same goes for the power steering rack (too many complaints of blown seals and the hassle of adding all the extra hoses and coolers in the bay).

Pulled the heating-a/c box that was controlled by one control pad that no one that I have found could find a reasonable way around. I will replace that with a aftermarket heater setup from vintage air or some place similar, for those cold days that need a defrost or a little heat.

I pulled the heavy powered seats for a set of manual racing buckets that came with the 1984 I purchased first.

The engine is almost completely stand alone from the rest of the electric system besides some gauges and the battery.

The body harness, if you ever decide to dig through the oem schematics, is a very complicated setup that loops through the fuse box many times over instead of running straight to the guages or controls the wires need to reach. I have stripped the fat out of the harness and still have about 50-60 wires running to the fuse box. Honestly that is just too many for my liking.

To me these are not Porsches any more they are a chance to build one offs that resemble who we are. I like to think of mine as a light weight supercar, similar to a Ferrari F40, which by the way had no interior or sound deading material, in fact it didnt even have a door handle. The other stuff is just over the top compications that I really dont need.
cfgioja
cfgioja

Back to top Go down

Post  Big E Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:29 am

cfgioja wrote:
To me these are not Porsches any more they are a chance to build one offs that resemble who we are. I like to think of mine as a light weight supercar, similar to a Ferrari F40, which by the way had no interior or sound deading material, in fact it didnt even have a door handle. The other stuff is just over the top compications that I really dont need.

cheers cheers

Exactly same mindset I'm taking with my project. Getting minimal time to work on it right now, but in a month or so I'll have a lot more time and can't wait to really dive in. Look forward to seeing some unique stuff out of your build.

Big E

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum