944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» 944 Turbo TPC Radiator Install Help Needed
supplemental fuel for blown application EmptyToday at 7:08 am by gwistrup

» Best engine uprights/plates
supplemental fuel for blown application EmptyYesterday at 10:12 am by Nath1142

» LEAKING TPC HYDROBOOST
supplemental fuel for blown application EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:22 pm by lowform

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
supplemental fuel for blown application EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:12 pm by lowform

» Fesler Saratoga Top
supplemental fuel for blown application EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 7:28 pm by JW1970

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
supplemental fuel for blown application EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

» LS 982 5speed project here
supplemental fuel for blown application EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 am by Raymond-P

» LT1 Spark Plug make and model
supplemental fuel for blown application EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm by Rob44

» 928 5-speed kit
supplemental fuel for blown application EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 pm by LS982

» Slave Cylinder Spacing from Clutch Fingers
supplemental fuel for blown application EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 1:54 am by lowform

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

supplemental fuel for blown application

5 posters

Go down

supplemental fuel for blown application Empty supplemental fuel for blown application

Post  stu wright Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:23 am

i am in process of putting a rear mount turbo systym and have been toying with the thought of hydrogen as a supplemental fuel. the main fuel source is e85 or alchohol. my 944 has been a rolling experiment for me for over 10 years i know there is some very intelligent minds on here any toughts or ideas on the subject would be welcome thanks
stu wright
stu wright

Back to top Go down

supplemental fuel for blown application Empty Re: supplemental fuel for blown application

Post  xschop Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:38 am

Hindenburg cherry
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

supplemental fuel for blown application Empty Fuel

Post  kevin924kevin Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:19 am

A common system that was developed back in the war days, is a 50/50 mix of water and ethonal. You can buy kits now for this, on the old war planes ( P51 mustangs) 18 cylinders they use to get an additional 1800 HP by doing this. Today to a car engine you can see an increase in HP from 50 ponys and up. I have the info at home about this. Hydrogen will only save you a small amount of fuel.There are many ways to build hydro genorators for cars that are really cheap to build. You inject the hydro into the air inlet, to offset gas consumption.
kevin924kevin
kevin924kevin

Back to top Go down

supplemental fuel for blown application Empty Additive

Post  fliermike45 Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:25 am

It was water/methonal, used to boost power for gross weight take offs.
I believe nitrous would do a similar job.

Interesting read:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

fliermike45

Back to top Go down

supplemental fuel for blown application Empty Fuel

Post  kevin924kevin Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:19 pm

The company that makes the ethonal and water injection kit is Snow Performance Products. And yes it is ethonal for this kit.
kevin924kevin
kevin924kevin

Back to top Go down

supplemental fuel for blown application Empty Re: supplemental fuel for blown application

Post  stu wright Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:38 pm

great for controlling detonation .i was looking at some of the hydrogen generators that some are building. a friend of mine is experimenting with a kit he bought and put on a dodge truck. very interesting concept because hydrogen produces water as it burns .
stu wright
stu wright

Back to top Go down

supplemental fuel for blown application Empty Ethonal .v. Methonal

Post  fliermike45 Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:46 pm

I hate to be picky but being an aviator I like accurate information.

Here is a read on the differences:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I have also looked at Snow Performance and see that the kits are for Water/Meth and in fact they sell containers of pre mixed Water and Methanol.

But in the the FAQ they say:

6. What fluid can I use in my system?
• Boost Juice®: This is the best fluid to use and is Snow Performance’s 49% methanol, 51% water mixture that can be shipped to your door or picked up at a local dealer. (If you are using your washer reservoir as the injection tank, Boost Juice® is a great washer fluid – works as a de-icer!)
• Windshield Washer fluid: Only if it is blue in color and rated for -20 deg F. It should have no special additives. This means it is safe to use and made of about 30% methanol, 70% water. If it is another color or another temperature rating, do not use it.
• You can “spike” your Blue -20 Washer fluid to a 50% mixture by adding 3 12OZ yellow bottles of Heet® gas-line-antifreeze to every gallon of washer fluid.
• Mix your own: You just need to make sure the methanol is “neat” and contains no lubricants or other additives. We recommend a 50% mixture.
Ethanol: It is not as good as methanol, but it can be used as a 2nd best option if you can’t find methanol. It can also be mixed with water up to 50%.
• Do NOT use E85 or any other fluid with gasoline mixed in. It will destroy the fluid delivery part of your Boost Cooler® and instantly void the warranty.
• Isopropyl/Denatured Alcohols: These can be used, but are not as good as methanol. They have a lower BTU, or energy content, and a lower latent heat of vaporization (fancy way of saying how much heat they absorb) as well as a lower octane rating compared to methanol

Hope this clarifies the matter.

fliermike45

Back to top Go down

Post  stu wright Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:16 am

the water methanol from snow performance is definetly worth checking into. i have my turbo mounted and im routing my inlet piping to the intake .this weekend.the rear mount turbo should save some underhood heat.i will be using a boost referenced ignition to help control detonation but have been looking into alternitive fuel source due to rising fuel prices .living in the corn belt i have unlimited resources for alchohol based fuels and already have been burning e85 in my 944 .i was more interested in the hydrogen as suplemental and have therorized that hydrogen which produces water when burned could also help cool the intake charge such as the therory of injecting water methonal to the intake tract.hydrogen generators technology is coming around now as more are trying to experiment with it.i was thinking about more along the lines of storing it in a presurized bottle and having a line running to the intake and when the boost reference switch starts retarding timing it would introduce the hydrogen to the intake such as the way the way the water meth works .i will post pics soon of my turbo install
stu wright
stu wright

Back to top Go down

supplemental fuel for blown application Empty fuel

Post  kevin924kevin Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:03 pm

Sorry for the wrong info, i was just quoting the rep from Snow Performance. He was on Hot Rod TV on the weekend. They did about a 15 min segmant and he said Ethonal.
kevin924kevin
kevin924kevin

Back to top Go down

Post  948 Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:12 pm

You will get results with the 50/50 mix, not so much with the H2.

The 50/50 mix effectively increases the octane of your air/fuel charge. Most of your new found power is from the cooling effect which creates denser air and allows for more fuel and timing; very little power is from the combustion of the methanol.

Hydrogen, as added to conventional petroleum engines fuel supply, <10%, will not really cool anything. The small amount of water is produced after the combustion event and is evacuated with the exhaust gas. Nor will it create any noticeable power....it does however reduce emissions a little.
Most Hydrogen injection products and generators are scams.
For the H2 generators, remember it requires far more energy to liberate the H2 from water than it will ever return to you in combustion.
Do some more research before you head down the H2 path.....

Stick with the water/methanol mix....

Back to top Go down

Post  stu wright Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:11 pm

yea i was kinda skeptical about if you could gain any benifit from hydrogen .the water methanol would be the better route .i have toyed around with hydrogen a little but performance potential doesnt seem to be there as it does consume quite a bit of amprege to produce.and im not really secure in having a generator on the car id rather have it in a presurized bottle. such as with a nitrious setup.
stu wright
stu wright

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum