944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» 944 Turbo TPC Radiator Install Help Needed
Brought home my first Porsche! (pictures) EmptyToday at 7:08 am by gwistrup

» Best engine uprights/plates
Brought home my first Porsche! (pictures) EmptyYesterday at 10:12 am by Nath1142

» LEAKING TPC HYDROBOOST
Brought home my first Porsche! (pictures) EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:22 pm by lowform

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
Brought home my first Porsche! (pictures) EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:12 pm by lowform

» Fesler Saratoga Top
Brought home my first Porsche! (pictures) EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 7:28 pm by JW1970

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Brought home my first Porsche! (pictures) EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

» LS 982 5speed project here
Brought home my first Porsche! (pictures) EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 am by Raymond-P

» LT1 Spark Plug make and model
Brought home my first Porsche! (pictures) EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm by Rob44

» 928 5-speed kit
Brought home my first Porsche! (pictures) EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 pm by LS982

» Slave Cylinder Spacing from Clutch Fingers
Brought home my first Porsche! (pictures) EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 1:54 am by lowform

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Brought home my first Porsche! (pictures)

5 posters

Go down

Brought home my first Porsche! (pictures) Empty Brought home my first Porsche! (pictures)

Post  nasomi Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:10 pm

After a few weeks of searching, I finally found the right car for the right price. The headgasket is show, htere's a couple minor body imperfections, and a couple minor interior imperfections, but other than that it's pretty good shape. I drove 80 miles, drove the car onto the trailer, drove home, and put it in the garage. It's filthy, so a cleaning will be the first order of business, then I'll start pulling out the engine.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

nasomi

Back to top Go down

Brought home my first Porsche! (pictures) Empty Re: Brought home my first Porsche! (pictures)

Post  RobotMachines Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:25 pm

Thing of beauty. Very Happy
RobotMachines
RobotMachines

Back to top Go down

Brought home my first Porsche! (pictures) Empty Re: Brought home my first Porsche! (pictures)

Post  nasomi Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:38 pm

It's a 1989 NA with what seems like every option. There's a couple things that are frustrating me though...

1) The boot is frozen shut
2) the sunroof is frozen shut
3) the radio doesn't power on
4) I need a new driver side switch for door/window controls
5) the ignition doesn't have "clicks" when you hit accessory, run, start
6) It's covered in ice and a filthy mess...

These things will be fixed in time, we've had a mild winter all year, but TODAY it turns out to be the coldest, around 30f and windy as hell for the high, with the morning/mid day/evening in the 20's.

nasomi

Back to top Go down

Post  RobotMachines Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:52 pm

Let it thaw. Porsche's are awesome in that the wiring (heavy gauge) , the metal, the galvanized body... all work in your favor in that it's all fixable with some care. Hit it with some WD40 and all will be good to go. It is damn cold. though. I'm trying to get my 948's audio working for tomorrow for some music on the way to work if it doesn't snow. Don't know if you know this, but the wheel well areas in the rear of the 944 makes for perfect speaker boxes for 6x9 speakers. The sound bounces off of the hatch forward... fantastic and lucky.

Mine's an '83 NA with a '94 Trans Am LT1. Oh, don't use stiff torsion bars if you rebuilt the rear, Paul knows the best setup. The car is too light weight and if you don't track it, not worth it. Very Happy
RobotMachines
RobotMachines

Back to top Go down

Post  nasomi Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:09 pm

Also came with these:

To the tune of $600 for cars and wheels. I don't think I could have done much better than that.

nasomi

Back to top Go down

Post  nasomi Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:17 pm

And now we'll throw in one of these...

nasomi

Back to top Go down

Post  RobotMachines Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:00 am

Nice!
RobotMachines
RobotMachines

Back to top Go down

Post  cjbcpa Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:18 pm

Congratulations on the new car. I think you got a great deal, certainly well more than $600 on a parts basis alone.

I'm a couple years away from my build. Gonna track mine until it needs an engine rebuild, but I'm within 20 minutes of Collegeville if you ever need an extra set of hands or general '44 assistance.

Best of luck.

CB
cjbcpa
cjbcpa

Back to top Go down

Post  nasomi Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:23 pm

Sounds great, thanks! I have never worked on a porsche or chevy before, so this is like a sink or swim, hurdle myself into the shark pit type experience. Once I can figure this out maybe you can learn from all my mistakes when it comes time to do yours, and skip over the tough stuff.

nasomi

Back to top Go down

Post  marc a Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:21 pm

Remember when you go to part out the engine that the head of the '89 is worth more than the earlier years because of the larger valves. In fact, I think, but have a feeble memory, that the intake valves are larger than the 951 valves.

Have fun and good luck.
marc a
marc a

Back to top Go down

Post  nasomi Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:40 pm

I just asked you for an updated link to your conversion on ls1tech, but I've found it here. Thanks, great to see.

Yeah, I was thinking about just rebuilding the 2.7 after it was out and selling it, but then my old man who has shown interest in this told his mechanic, who says "that's a terrible idea, but if he does it, can I have his old motor?" I was thinking a fresh 2.7 would be worth selling, or do you think the parts off it would be better to sell instead of rebuilding?

It's exactly that, fun. It's something I'm going to have fun with. I will get it apart, learn every inch of the engine bay, learn the ls1 inside and out, piece the whole thing together, and drive it like I stole it. Until I break my na trans, at which point I'll grab a turbo trans and steal my 5th gear and put that in.

Also there's that big porsche swap in Hershey, PA in 2 months not far from me, I could take the old engine and stuff there.

nasomi

Back to top Go down

Post  marc a Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:56 pm

Jay,

If it were me, I would pull the head off and get it checked. List the engine and head on Renn List, Pelican Parts, NASA's racing board and the 944cup board. You will probably find a buyer.

Hershey is an interesting event. People are looking for deals. If you are close you might find a buyer and not have to worry about shipping.

Keep in touch.

Marc
marc a
marc a

Back to top Go down

Post  87-944S Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:07 am

That's a great deal, I have an 89 in white just like that in the driveway. Unfortunately mine was hit and has become a parts car. Good luck with the project, you will learn a lot and have a blast! Marc is right, those 89 heads are sought after, I need to pull mine and sell it!
87-944S
87-944S

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum