944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» 944 Turbo TPC Radiator Install Help Needed
Lighten clutch pedal feel? - Page 3 EmptyToday at 4:14 pm by SpeedRacer11

» Rear coilover suspension setup
Lighten clutch pedal feel? - Page 3 EmptyToday at 3:30 pm by ThomasJoseph315

» Best engine uprights/plates
Lighten clutch pedal feel? - Page 3 EmptyYesterday at 10:12 am by Nath1142

» LEAKING TPC HYDROBOOST
Lighten clutch pedal feel? - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:22 pm by lowform

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
Lighten clutch pedal feel? - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:12 pm by lowform

» Fesler Saratoga Top
Lighten clutch pedal feel? - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 7:28 pm by JW1970

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Lighten clutch pedal feel? - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

» LS 982 5speed project here
Lighten clutch pedal feel? - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 am by Raymond-P

» LT1 Spark Plug make and model
Lighten clutch pedal feel? - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm by Rob44

» 928 5-speed kit
Lighten clutch pedal feel? - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 pm by LS982

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Lighten clutch pedal feel?

+11
v2rocket
Arthropraxis
fliermike45
87-944S
spence
marc a
944-LT1
acorad
a951
Admin
docwyte
15 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Lighten clutch pedal feel? - Page 3 Empty Re: Lighten clutch pedal feel?

Post  acorad Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:48 pm

I didn't touch the fuse box, just laid on my back and intalled it. Mine was in pieces so it took some time to figure out how it all went together.

I didn't measure, I just adjusted it to where I liked it, and then backed it off some as suggested by Admin as I described in this thread. No problems so far.
acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthropraxis Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:00 am

I found this that has an A dimension from the body to rod center. It may help to set it up properly.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Arthropraxis
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:31 pm

Got it in just now. Acorad, I'm very impressed that you were able to get it installed from underneath the car! There was NO way I was going to be able to pull that off. Once I managed to stuff myself underneath there (no small feat) I didn't have enough elbow room to work properly. Just couldn't get my hands up there.

Moving the fuse box was easy (although I should go out and make sure my car still starts and nothing was dislodged!) and after I removed the small plastic trim piece the clutch arm was staring me in the face.

It was a bitch wrestling that spring in there, the trick of using a vice and zip ties was instrumental. I found I had to have one on either side of the spring to hold it relatively straight, then I was able to finally lever it into place.

I adjusted it to factory specs and tried it out. Results are good! For the lack of a better description, the clutch feels normal now. Definitely easier to depress it, smooth going up and down. Should be a whole lot nicer to drive now.

Cross another thing off the "Off season to do" list. Next up is the LS6 PCV valley cover.

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:42 pm

Doc, yeah, I'm pretty happy with it also. Such little things make a huge difference!
acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  Porsche951toLS3 Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:59 am

I would like to have more discussion on this thread please.

I have an LS3 with a stage 2 clutch and hard to push. I had the original Porsche clutch MC and now a Tilton. Both still seem twice as hard to push than the stock 944 clutch. So I am wanting to know if
I possibly need to replace my clutch assist spring or did someone find a suitable stronger clutch assist spring for these stage 2 clutch pressure plates. I would love to soften this all up please.

Any wisdom on this would be great. I am looking for a possible stronger spring if someone has already done it. Curious if just a new Porsche spring would do it. Mine is compressed as much as I can and it does not help.
Porsche951toLS3
Porsche951toLS3

http://n4cr@comcast.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:21 pm

Another thought is the master cylinder size. I'm using a 1" Willwood Compact Remote as I couldn't get good clutch release with the 13/16" that most of y'all use. But the pedal effort sure is high. What's in your car?
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Lighten clutch pedal feel? - Page 3 Empty Clutch Pedal Assist Spring

Post  Porsche951toLS3 Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:35 am

I have the Wilwood 13/16" Clutch Master which works great, but a real workout.  If I could just get the right spring to make it feel as it was stated earlier "like a honda" that would be great.  I am just looking for

1.  What is the right spring to use
2.  Where do I get it.  
3.  Will it fit where the Porsche assist spring was removed?

**EDIT**
I purchased the late model BLUE COLORED clutch assist spring new and after install I will know if I just needed to replace this spring with a new a slightly stronger one or if I need to go further and purchase and even stronger spring with the same dimensions.  I will post back on this after install in the next week or so. The BLUE spring is supposed to be for the late models and a little stronger with the same fit.  It should at least be stronger than the one I have and new which may fix the problem.  ****

Last edited by Porsche951toLS3 on Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:07 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Added info)
Porsche951toLS3
Porsche951toLS3

Back to top Go down

Lighten clutch pedal feel? - Page 3 Empty Clutch Pedal Assist Spring

Post  Porsche951toLS3 Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:50 pm

I just finished installing the new blue spring which was made for the later Porsche 944 cars.

The verdict is in..............YES. This helped me alot. It feels soooooo much better. My old spring was not broken, but it was 30 years old and probably needed to be replaced. Having a new spring and the stronger blue one really seemed to help. I cannot get it to Honda Pedal easy, but definitely it is not going to wear out my leg anymore. I still need to drive it, but it was a definite improvement for a new one off ebay at 39.00.

I did notice that the blue one had less coils than my old one which probably had something to do with the strength of it. Other than that, everything was the same in size. If I ever venture for an even stronger spring just to mess with this more, I have my old one out to easily get all the dimensions.

Porsche951toLS3
Porsche951toLS3

Back to top Go down

Post  turbobob924 Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:25 pm

Interesting...

Sent from Topic'it App
turbobob924
turbobob924

http://www.turbo924.com

Back to top Go down

Lighten clutch pedal feel? - Page 3 Empty ***SOLVED**** Clutch Pedal Assist Spring

Post  Porsche951toLS3 Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:29 pm

I finally found a stronger clutch assist spring for my heavier Stage 2 clutch.

I went from my original spring to the blue spring found on the later models.......a little better and easier to depress the pedal, but only a little better.  I took the time to find the following that gave me what I was looking for..... a perfect match for me and maybe others.

Vender - McMaster-Carr           [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It should be Spring-Tempered Steel Compression Spring, 3" Long, 1.281" OD, 0.905" ID
It cost me about 7.50 and I did not learn the shipping until it shipped which was 7.50 to ship.
Total cost for me was about 15.00.  At least it worked for me.

The new spring fits perfectly and is a much stronger spring.  I had to compress it CAREFULLY No  No  No  No  No  with my bench vice and hold it compressed with zip ties to get it installed........strong little guy.  I suggest you put 3 zip ties onto the spring prior to compression and then tighten the zip ties as you compress so you don't put an eye out  cyclops  cyclops  cyclops  No  No   pirat  pirat  pirat   After it was installed, I cut the zip ties to release the spring and then tightened the spring about the same as the old one.  You have to adjust it by feel.

Hope this helps if you ever need to lighten your clutch pedal.  Pictures below.  The square metal spring
is the new one I just received from McMaster.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Porsche951toLS3 on Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:32 am; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : remove picture)
Porsche951toLS3
Porsche951toLS3

Back to top Go down

Post  Worryless Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:44 pm

Thank you for the detail - very helpful.!!

Worryless

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3