944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» 944 Turbo TPC Radiator Install Help Needed
Fittings (AN) or (JIC) for LS1 pump, Porsche rack, GM hydroboost? EmptyToday at 7:08 am by gwistrup

» Best engine uprights/plates
Fittings (AN) or (JIC) for LS1 pump, Porsche rack, GM hydroboost? EmptyYesterday at 10:12 am by Nath1142

» LEAKING TPC HYDROBOOST
Fittings (AN) or (JIC) for LS1 pump, Porsche rack, GM hydroboost? EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:22 pm by lowform

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
Fittings (AN) or (JIC) for LS1 pump, Porsche rack, GM hydroboost? EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:12 pm by lowform

» Fesler Saratoga Top
Fittings (AN) or (JIC) for LS1 pump, Porsche rack, GM hydroboost? EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 7:28 pm by JW1970

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Fittings (AN) or (JIC) for LS1 pump, Porsche rack, GM hydroboost? EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

» LS 982 5speed project here
Fittings (AN) or (JIC) for LS1 pump, Porsche rack, GM hydroboost? EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 am by Raymond-P

» LT1 Spark Plug make and model
Fittings (AN) or (JIC) for LS1 pump, Porsche rack, GM hydroboost? EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm by Rob44

» 928 5-speed kit
Fittings (AN) or (JIC) for LS1 pump, Porsche rack, GM hydroboost? EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 pm by LS982

» Slave Cylinder Spacing from Clutch Fingers
Fittings (AN) or (JIC) for LS1 pump, Porsche rack, GM hydroboost? EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 1:54 am by lowform

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Fittings (AN) or (JIC) for LS1 pump, Porsche rack, GM hydroboost?

+4
Bridar
pormgb
87-944S
grobb284
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fittings (AN) or (JIC) for LS1 pump, Porsche rack, GM hydroboost? Empty Fittings (AN) or (JIC) for LS1 pump, Porsche rack, GM hydroboost?

Post  grobb284 Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:00 pm

I recently picked up some stainless adapters for the GM hydroboost to AN style fittings. Has anyone found steel or stainless steel Banjo fittings adapting to AN style for the Porsche rack and pinion? I found some at Parker, but they are too tall for my space constraints, as they are right angle and not Banjo style.

I found some Banjo style at Aeroquip, but they were aluminum. Has anyone already found the necessary steel fittings for the Porsche rack?

I haven't yet looked at the Firebird PS pump, have those AN adapters already been determined by those converting to LS1's?

Thanks in advance for your help.

grobb284

Back to top Go down

Fittings (AN) or (JIC) for LS1 pump, Porsche rack, GM hydroboost? Empty Re: Fittings (AN) or (JIC) for LS1 pump, Porsche rack, GM hydroboost?

Post  87-944S Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:26 pm

I used Russel Performance adapters and fittings for their teflon lined braided SS hose.
87-944S
87-944S

Back to top Go down

Fittings (AN) or (JIC) for LS1 pump, Porsche rack, GM hydroboost? Empty Re: Fittings (AN) or (JIC) for LS1 pump, Porsche rack, GM hydroboost?

Post  87-944S Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:33 pm

Sorry, yes they are steel, not aluminum, appropriate o-ring adapters.
87-944S
87-944S

Back to top Go down

Post  pormgb Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:36 pm

grobb284 wrote:I recently picked up some stainless adapters for the GM hydroboost to AN style fittings. Has anyone found steel or stainless steel Banjo fittings adapting to AN style for the Porsche rack and pinion? I found some at Parker, but they are too tall for my space constraints, as they are right angle and not Banjo style.

I found some Banjo style at Aeroquip, but they were aluminum. Has anyone already found the necessary steel fittings for the Porsche rack?

I haven't yet looked at the Firebird PS pump, have those AN adapters already been determined by those converting to LS1's?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I just got my PS lines hooked up, I used the stock banjo hose with a compression fitting and a #6 AN adapter. On the PS end I uses a Russell steel adapter.

I cut the steel hose attached to the banjo fitting with a pipe cutter, I then got a 3/8 steel compression fitting with a #6 AN adapter. The braided hose is teflon lined, I got these parts at my local hydraulic fittings supplier.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
pormgb
pormgb

Back to top Go down

Post  Bridar Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:06 pm

For what its worth, I used a steel 12mm banjo to -4AN fitting from Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies. I mated that to a 12" piece of -4AN hose from the same source and then had my stock Porsche line modified by cutting off the old leaky rubber hose & swaged banjo and braizing on a male -4AN. This seems to fit nicely in the tight confines and doesn't get too close to the header, though I did put a Kevlar sleeve over the hose just to protect it even more from the heat down there.
Bridar
Bridar

Back to top Go down

Post  grobb284 Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:12 pm

I see some are using -6AN and others -4AN. Is this on the pressure side? Does this make the system (rack) sluggish at all with the -4AN? Reason I'm asking, some LS1 pumps are sized with the -6AN at the pump.

Please be patient with me, I'm learning here.

grobb284

Back to top Go down

Post  Bridar Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:23 pm

I only used the same size as the original Porsche parts, where all of the hard lines are roughly 1/4". I am running the BMW Hydroboost so there is a larger line running from pump to priority valve to hydroboost, but where it branches off from the priority valve to the steering rack is a -6 hose mating to the modified Porsche -4 (equivalent) hard line. On the steering rack return side, I have the -4 line described in my above post which then routes to the cooler and then back to the PS Reservior.

I have experienced no problems with sluggishness in the steering, albeit mine has never been on the track. I suppose a tight autocross course would tell.
Bridar
Bridar

Back to top Go down

Post  grobb284 Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:35 pm

Bridar wrote:

I have experienced no problems with sluggishness in the steering, albeit mine has never been on the track. I suppose a tight autocross course would tell.

Thanks for the information. I am not familiar with the BMW priority valve.

Did you make any modification to the LS1 pump? I have read of some overheating problems on autocross courses. I understand you have not autocrossed your vehicle, but I'm curious how long you've been driving your LS Porsche setup with the hydroboost. I'm looking forward to the hydroboosted brakes.

grobb284

Back to top Go down

Post  Bridar Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:57 pm

The priority valve is a necessary component for the safe and effective installation of the BMW hydroboost system. It functions to divert the flow of hydraulic oil to the brake booster instead of the steering under conditions of insufficient flow or a drop in pressure. This based on the fact that the brakes are the most important control system in a passenger car during a mechanical failure situation. It also has a pressure accumulator that will allow for a certain amount of power-assisted braking if the engine were to die.

I have not had any problems with overheating of this system, but being a 968, my car does have the larger PS oil cooler. The only issue I had was that if the car sat idle for a long time (several weeks), the accumulator would gradually bleed off the volume of hydraulic fluid that it stores. The volume of the hydraulic system plus what is in the accumulator is more than the stock LS1 reservior can hold, so it will puddle under the car and be low on oil when you finally start the car again. I solved this issue by making an auxiliary reservior that screws on top of the stock reservior.

It is possible that a larger LS1 PS Reservior exists in one of the other LS-engine variants. I was not able to find one that would fit but perhaps another poster could chime in if they have been successful.
Bridar
Bridar

Back to top Go down

Fittings (AN) or (JIC) for LS1 pump, Porsche rack, GM hydroboost? Empty Mustang hydroboost fittings

Post  fliermike45 Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:07 pm

What are the thread type and size (s) for the pressure fittings on the Mustang HB unit?

fliermike45

Back to top Go down

Post  948inVA Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:02 pm

They listed some fittings in this link - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'm not sure they are all the same though, the fittings on mine look to be metric.
948inVA
948inVA

Back to top Go down

Fittings (AN) or (JIC) for LS1 pump, Porsche rack, GM hydroboost? Empty Hydroboost fittings

Post  fliermike45 Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:02 pm

I have found out that my HB unit is a 2000+ unit and the threads may be metric.

fliermike45

Back to top Go down

Fittings (AN) or (JIC) for LS1 pump, Porsche rack, GM hydroboost? Empty Ford brake plumbing

Post  fliermike45 Wed May 23, 2012 9:12 am

Can someone confirm the routing of the brake lines from the Mustang Hydroboost Master Cylinder.
Is the forward port for the front brakes and rear for rear???
Thanks

fliermike45

Back to top Go down

Fittings (AN) or (JIC) for LS1 pump, Porsche rack, GM hydroboost? Empty Master Cylinder/Proportioning valve hookup

Post  fliermike45 Fri May 25, 2012 11:34 am

Have found the answer to my question.
Refer to this diagram:

The unit as purchased had a line from the forward Master Cylinder port to item 6 in the diagram.
The master Cylinder rear MC port is connected to item 1. This confirms the outlet ports on the Mustang MC.

fliermike45

Back to top Go down

Post  rooster Fri May 25, 2012 1:00 pm

Good info, I plan to run HB too and need to know this myself. Thanks for posting it.

I have not seen the proportioning valve on the HB unit before. I picked up a used HB and the lines were just cut below the MC. I wonder if you ran this valve could you get away from having to run a Tilton proportioning valve in the car? Others have said HB sends too much brake bias to the rear and perhaps this would fix that. Anyone? Bueller?

rooster

Back to top Go down

Fittings (AN) or (JIC) for LS1 pump, Porsche rack, GM hydroboost? Empty HB Info

Post  fliermike45 Fri May 25, 2012 3:53 pm

I forgot to add that my HB and Proportioning valve both have metric threads. (2003)

The valve output threads are 12 mm by 1mm and I used used adaptors to size down for the Porsche 10mm line fittings.

Part number is: Edelman 267000 or Gates G49321-1210 (NAPA)

Have no idea what the percentage balance is, probably makes sense to use an adjustable valve.
Make sure you use a disc/disc valve and not a disk/drum version. My V6 MGB uses a Corvette MC and a stock PV and I have no problem with balance, but that is disc/drum.

Last edited by fliermike45 on Fri May 25, 2012 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Date)

fliermike45

Back to top Go down

Fittings (AN) or (JIC) for LS1 pump, Porsche rack, GM hydroboost? Empty Hydroboost installation completed

Post  fliermike45 Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:41 pm

I finished the hydroboost installation and test drove the car today. Simply awesome!
The brakes (Xschops lexus/mazda brake setup) are now performing as good as the rest of the car. I was disapointed with the sloan suggested tandem Willwood system, even with a redrilled pedal. (Vauge and heavy pedal)

Pictures show plumbing, initially I ran the pressure lines along the driver's inner fender but had problems with clearing the header enroute to the steering rack. I finally opted to go over the engine and down past the PS pump to the rack. Pump is a Turn One and steering seems good while braking. Stock oil cooler was moved to the driver's side and plumbed into the PS pump/hydroboost low pressure return lines. I used the stock Mustang proportioning valve.
I also reversed the fuel rails because the HB unit blocked the stock fuel line connector.

Negative aspects of the installation is moving the coils to the strut tower along with brake pipes protruding under the master cylinder makes it very difficult to reach the spark plugs and wires.
Hardest job was enlarging the hole in sloan's stainless steel firewall plate. Could not be removed as it was bonded in place. Ruined six blades cutting that new hole.

Last edited by fliermike45 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Firewall plate)

fliermike45

Back to top Go down

Post  grobb284 Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:42 am

fliermike45,

My Eaton hydroboost also required adapters from metric tube fittings to -6an, similar to yours, though GM style hydroboost, not Mustang. The GM pump output also required a similar metric tube to -6an.

The only solution I have for converting the banjo bolt rack fittings is to take the existing 5/6 steel hard lines, and trying to convert them the -an 37 degree flare fittings. I haven't found fittings yet though.

I'm curious what fittings you used to tie the Porsche steering rack into your system. Photos and part numbers are a plus.

Also what brand hydraulic hose and hose fittings did you use. I like the black mesh instead of the stainless flex.

Thanks for your response.

grobb284

Back to top Go down

Fittings (AN) or (JIC) for LS1 pump, Porsche rack, GM hydroboost? Empty Rack fittings

Post  fliermike45 Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:39 am

I used metric to AN6 fittings in the rack, the hose is aircraft Aeroquip 202. It is cloth braided.
All AN6 fittings are steel except rack return which is alluminium.
I will look up all the part numbers I purchased for this installation.

fliermike45

Back to top Go down

Post  grobb284 Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:45 am

fliermike45 wrote:I used metric to AN6 fittings in the rack, the hose is aircraft Aeroquip 202. It is cloth braided.
All AN6 fittings are steel except rack return which is alluminium.
I will look up all the part numbers I purchased for this installation.

I too am using -6AN steel adapter fittings. Some are stainless from Tallon Hydraulics. Are the Aeroquip 202 hose fittings steel or aluminum?

I am interested in the rack fittings especially, pictures would be nice.

Also looking forward to your parts list.

thanks for your help.

grobb284

Back to top Go down

Fittings (AN) or (JIC) for LS1 pump, Porsche rack, GM hydroboost? Empty Fittings

Post  fliermike45 Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:54 pm

AN6 hose fittings are all steel.

fliermike45

Back to top Go down

Post  rooster Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:40 pm

For all you who have done the Hydroboost install - where did you get the -6AN converters for the two high pressure ports on the HB unit? I have what is supposed to be a HB unit from a 2004 Cobra so I thought the ports would be metric. Not so. I borrowed a 16mm and 18mm fitting from my local hydraulic supply house and they do not thread in. I measured the original fittings that came on the unit again and sure enough they are .6875 and .625 - 11/16ths and 5/8ths. Damn. Any idea where I can sourse SAE to 6AN fittings for this? The local hydraulic guy says 11/16ths is available but not the 5/8ths fitting.

Question #2, how did you do away with the banjo at the rack? I'm concerned about a M12 x1.5 to 6AN fitting sealing properly. Is this all you guys did and it works with no issues? The other option is to have the hydraulic guy braze on to the old banjo fitting which I may have to do.

Thanks.

rooster

Back to top Go down

Post  944convert Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:21 pm

Have you looked here?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

944convert

Back to top Go down

Post  rooster Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:36 pm

Thanks but those are not "Bump Tube Adaptors". There is no o-ring at the end, like the original fittings have, to provide a seal. Here is what I am talking about: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Have you used the fittings you gave a link for? Do they seal just fine and I am being paranoid?

rooster

Back to top Go down

Post  fliermike45 Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:39 pm

Rooster, your Ford HB unit can't be 2004, I believe they went metric in 2000

These guys are very helpfull, check their listings for your fittings.

Hydratechbraking.com

I got my AN HB fittings from Hydratech. Both steel.
Hydratech 9405 16mm to 6AN
Aeroquip FBM 2609 6AN adaptor Both have O rings

My Aeroquip 303-6 hose ends are XRP 509006 Steel

NOTE ERROR IN PREVIOUS POST, HOSE IS 303-6, NAPA have an automotive version.

Rack steel 12mm x 1.5 fitting is Pegasus Racing 3276-003 (Pressure In)
Can't remember where I got the alluminium 6AN out fitting.

fliermike45

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next