944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Flasher relay buzzing
Cooling Fan Relays:  Porsche VS GM EmptyYesterday at 6:51 am by tonyorlo

» LS 928 5speed project here
Cooling Fan Relays:  Porsche VS GM EmptyWed May 15, 2024 8:57 pm by 948

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Cooling Fan Relays:  Porsche VS GM EmptyWed May 15, 2024 8:50 pm by 948

» C5 bellhousing to torque tube adapter plate.
Cooling Fan Relays:  Porsche VS GM EmptyMon May 13, 2024 1:40 pm by Claytonhaske

» 951 Transaxles For Sale
Cooling Fan Relays:  Porsche VS GM EmptyWed May 08, 2024 6:44 pm by Raindoc

» Turbo Transaxle wanted
Cooling Fan Relays:  Porsche VS GM EmptyWed May 08, 2024 4:26 pm by Raindoc

» Adapter plate
Cooling Fan Relays:  Porsche VS GM EmptyTue May 07, 2024 3:06 pm by Rob44

» LEAKING TPC HYDROBOOST
Cooling Fan Relays:  Porsche VS GM EmptyWed May 01, 2024 8:32 am by Rob44

» Fesler Saratoga Top
Cooling Fan Relays:  Porsche VS GM EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 8:28 am by JW1970

» Parts availability for general maintenance?
Cooling Fan Relays:  Porsche VS GM EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 10:36 pm by zenon

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Cooling Fan Relays: Porsche VS GM

3 posters

Go down

Cooling Fan Relays:  Porsche VS GM Empty Cooling Fan Relays: Porsche VS GM

Post  gwistrup Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:34 pm

I currently am using the original Porsche cooling fan sensor in the radiator and stock cooling fan relay system in my vehicle. I have the TPC large capacity radiator with the stock Porsche cooling fans. Recently I have noticed that the fans will only run on low speed and I am having some cooling issues at slow vehicle speeds. I need to address this problem and I have to decide to fix the original Porsche system or to change it to the GM system using the LS PCM and three relays. I have not diagnosed anything yet but I know that the wiring to the cooling fan resistor is petrified and needs replacement. If the Porsche cooling fan relay is bad, it would be cheaper to switch to the GM three relay system because the Porsche cooling fan relays are very expensive if you can still get them. If I keep the original Porsche cooling fan control system intact, my A/C fan and compressor control will still work. If I switch to the GM fan control system, how can I get the fans to work when the A/C is on? What is the best route to take? Thanks, Gil

gwistrup

Back to top Go down

Cooling Fan Relays:  Porsche VS GM Empty Re: Cooling Fan Relays: Porsche VS GM

Post  Leva Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:46 pm

I do not run ac, so i cannot assist you in that department, but i did ditch the Porsche sensor, relay etc and built a 3 relay box controlled by the gm ecm. Cost me like 30 bucks for the relays and a dedicated fuse panel/ relay box on amazon. With hp tuners i can control my high/low speed fan operation.

Leva

Back to top Go down

Cooling Fan Relays:  Porsche VS GM Empty RE Relays

Post  gwistrup Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:22 am

Thanks for the response. I believe there is an advantage with the GM setup because you can select when the fans turn on and off. I need to know if and how they can be incorporated into the A/C system for the fans or if the GM computer can be used to control the A/C compressor as well.

gwistrup

Back to top Go down

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:29 pm

Top picture is to run both fans at the same time. That's my preference.

Bottom picture will run one fan at low temp, and then both fans at higher temp.

Both have the 3rd relay for the A/C to activate the fans.

Cooling Fan Relays:  Porsche VS GM Dual-f12
Cooling Fan Relays:  Porsche VS GM Dual-f13

I also will use the Porsche system to control the fans. It works perfectly fine. And there is a new solid state relay that virtually eliminates failure.

https://www.ftech9.com/new-products/solid-state-fan-relay-944-amp-968-1

Last edited by Hotrodz of Dallas on Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added text and link)
Hotrodz of Dallas
Hotrodz of Dallas

Gutterboy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Cooling Fan Relays:  Porsche VS GM Empty RE: Fan relays

Post  gwistrup Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:31 am

Thanks for the information. I need to look into my fan control system to find out exactly why I only have low speed right now and then decide what route to take. I believe that there was a post in the past that said you can use the GM PCM to control the fans through the stock Porsche relay by wiring it in where the radiator sensor is located. If I get the new solid state fan unit and use the GM PCM to control it, that might be the best way to do it.

gwistrup

Hotrodz of Dallas likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Leva Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:38 am

Yeah, like hotrodz said, the solid state relay is an option. I looked at that initially. Depends on how much you want to spend. I choose the cheap diy route. And if the relays fail, it costs me a couple bucks to replace. That and I wanted more control over my fans.

Leva

Back to top Go down