HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» New convert under way
Air Conditioning A/C for LS3 SOLVED and COLD EmptyToday at 9:51 am by kevin924kevin

» Project 944 for sale $8500 OBO
Air Conditioning A/C for LS3 SOLVED and COLD EmptySat Nov 16, 2019 9:00 am by j7wolfe

» Corvette C6 Z06 Brake Caliper Adapters
Air Conditioning A/C for LS3 SOLVED and COLD EmptyFri Nov 15, 2019 6:34 pm by Hey_Allen

» LS engine & Trans "upfront", Mustang IRS in the "rear"
Air Conditioning A/C for LS3 SOLVED and COLD EmptyMon Nov 11, 2019 5:59 pm by sparkydog

» WTB: Trailing Arm Bushings
Air Conditioning A/C for LS3 SOLVED and COLD EmptyMon Nov 11, 2019 9:18 am by Hotrodz of Dallas

» 82 924 with AUX Audi V8.
Air Conditioning A/C for LS3 SOLVED and COLD EmptySun Nov 10, 2019 2:35 pm by Golten1986

» LSA Supercharged 86 Porsche 944
Air Conditioning A/C for LS3 SOLVED and COLD EmptySun Nov 10, 2019 5:13 am by superman22x

» Introduction/CA-SMOG '86 turbo
Air Conditioning A/C for LS3 SOLVED and COLD EmptySat Nov 09, 2019 8:29 pm by pormgb

» 944-LT1 LS3 Conversion
Air Conditioning A/C for LS3 SOLVED and COLD EmptySat Nov 09, 2019 7:49 pm by Ordie792002

» Lexus BBK Big Brake Kit
Air Conditioning A/C for LS3 SOLVED and COLD EmptySat Nov 09, 2019 6:19 pm by Red944ls1

November 2019
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Air Conditioning A/C for LS3 SOLVED and COLD

Go down

Air Conditioning A/C for LS3 SOLVED and COLD Empty Air Conditioning A/C for LS3 SOLVED and COLD

Post  Porsche951toLS3 on Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:00 pm

86 Porsche 944 Turbo now with LS3  (YES, the ejection seat desk chair in that picture is mine restored)
I started this project with maybe too much information from the internet.  My most difficult issue was fitting a compressor properly.  This final version is what works and is very cold.  Hopefully it will help you in a simple way with pictures. This whole project can be done after you find a shop in your area that makes A/C hoses with fittings.  This project uses #6 hose, #8 hose and #10 hose and related fittings.  #6 hose is smallest and is the high side.  #10 hose is the largest and is the low side.  #8 hose goes between the output of the compressor and the top of the condenser.  This first picture is my initial drawing as I built this.  Don't hate my artistic work.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This is my overall view showing the general routing from the top.

I used my ORIGINAL A/C hoses because you need the firewall fitting part.  The shop cut the metal at about the middle area of the firewall and staggered each length then attached a proper male fitting for high and low hose.  Hard to see but the female fitting which is attached to the hoses are 45 degree angles to put them into the right direction.  The #6 hose is the high side and #10 hose is the low side.

Here you can see where I put the Low side port (blue cap) and high side (red cap).  The red cap will make sense in the next picture.

You can see the routing to the a/c drier with a #6 hose 45 degree angle to fit and the important fitting I used from the original Porsche setup on the other side. The picture above with the blue background is what the fitting normally looked like.  That green cap with two wires not being used and laying at the bottom stumped me for a while.  I found that it was attached where the high side fitting is now and originally when it sensed pressure it activated the radiator fans.  I addressed the fans later, but for now the high side port was put at this location by the shop leaving the original location of the high/low switch.  So currently I have a high port, low port and the high/low switch........but no way to turn the fans on.  

The high side #6 hose now routes to the bottom of the high efficiency condenser with a u-turn fitting which had a large area to cool the freon.  Notice the second picture and the very tight 90 degree fitting which goes to a #8 hose on this side and attaches to the high side of the compressor.  Without this fitting that I will put below where I got it, nothing would fit since it was so tight and I did not want to cut metal.

Finally, the compressor and bracket that was the key to my success.  I got them from Dirty Dingo out of Mesa Arizona.  I will list the items below, but this kit had the brackets and smaller compressor with the fittings coming out the side and NOT the back where you hit headers........yes, that was reference to the other compressors I tried and failed at.  On this compressor you can see the #10 low side connected with a 90 degree fitting and the #8 high side with a 90 degree fitting.

My first attempt at installing the compressor was not lined up right.  I learned this after the belt very quickly shredded.  My 2nd attempt I got smart and used a belt laser as pictured and it lined up beautifully.  NOTE:  The compressor wheel has 6 ribs and the belt is only 4 ribs.  You use the rear 4 ribs on the compressor when you install the belt.  

O.K., now how I solved the fan issue.
Once you locate your original compressor power wire that is on the driver's side fender on the engine side, you would normally just route it over to the new compressor.  To test the compressor clutch, I just ran a wire carefully to the battery and watch the NON SPINNING compressor clutch engage (ENGINE OFF).  Note, the power from the compressor wire will only give you 12v with the engine running.  

Fans - Normally you would use this 30/40 relay to send power to a device.  In this case, I wanted to send GROUND to my fan relay.  My setup waits until the sensor in the radiator comes to temperature and then grounds the relay to allow the radiator fan to run.  So in looking at the picture, I put compressor 12 volts to the relay coil which is either 85 or 86 and grounded the other side.  This way when the compressor 12 volts is sent it will activate the coil.  Once the coil is activated, whatever is on pin 30 is what you are trying to send to pin 87.  In this case I put ground on pin 30 and wired pin 87 to the ground of my radiator fan switch.  Now when the compressor comes on, the radiator fan is activated.  Clear as mud..........sure, but just try and work with this if you need this solution.

FINAL NOTES:  All hooked up and ready.  I rented an a/c suction motor and with a/c gauges, I let the system suck to -30 in vacuum for 2 hours, then watched the gauge with the suction removed for any leaks.  No leaks so I then took it to my a/c guy who asked me how much #46 pag oil was shipped in the compressor.  I told him 3.4 oz and he adjusted accordingly.  I think the system took 1.6 lbs of 134a freon and was wonderfully cold.  

Parts:  (I will update this section as I find the part numbers)
Dirty Dingo Compressor and Bracket and compressor fitting -

Compressor Belt -
Gates K040360     or Dayco 360K4

90 Degree fitting at top of condenser
If you use this phrase on ebay - BEADLOCK FITTING, 'SHORT DROP' CRIMP ON, FEMALE O RING, 90 DEGREE #8 SB1322SD

Good luck with your project and I will answer what I can.  Hope this helps someone else.

Last edited by Porsche951toLS3 on Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:01 pm; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Porsche951toLS3
Porsche951toLS3

http://n4cr@comcast.net

Back to top Go down

Air Conditioning A/C for LS3 SOLVED and COLD Empty Re: Air Conditioning A/C for LS3 SOLVED and COLD

Post  rallen130 on Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:34 pm

Been looking for someone who has a complete ac set up to learn from.  Thanks for sharing.  Dumb question...did you also look at routing hoses, drier, (Condenser with ports on right) to the passenger side directly when you were planning this out? What made you keep those things on the drivers side?
Thanks.

-Rob

rallen130

Back to top Go down

Air Conditioning A/C for LS3 SOLVED and COLD Empty AIR CONDITIONING A/C FOR LS3 SOLVED AND COLD

Post  Porsche951toLS3 on Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:28 pm

Hi Rob,
I kept the drier in the original location since I did not have room elsewhere and there was already a bracket ready to hold it. Additionally the high/low switch wires were already located next to the drier.  The condenser is mounted with ports to the passenger side already.  I was taking pictures from the bottom looking up.  The u-turn fitting is at the bottom and then heads over to the drier.  The tight 90 degree fitting is at the top and then comes down and turns toward the compressor.  The best answer is lack of room anywhere else to put these items and with the ports and drier sight glass in one place, very easy to service.  I love the questions.........please ask away.  I had pretty much zero help that I could since they all were technically written and not just......."Tell me what to do please" info.  I was trying to accomplish that with my failures and now success......hopefully someone else will not have to go through the pain and expense.

Kevin
Porsche951toLS3
Porsche951toLS3

Back to top Go down

Air Conditioning A/C for LS3 SOLVED and COLD Empty Air Conditioning A/C for LS3 SOLVED and COLD ***NOTE***

Post  Porsche951toLS3 on Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:45 am

NOTE AS YOU ARE READING ABOUT MY FAN RELAY.

I just realized that although when it is 100 degrees out and I am freezing my tail off in the car with the new a/c.............the fan continuously staying on ****MIGHT**** be a bad idea for speeds above 40 mph. I have not tested this, but I believe the fan is supposed to go off at a certain speed for better cooling. Can anyone confirm this or can I just leave the fan running? I may be looking for a better idea to turn this fan on and off. I am now going to sleep on it and would love to hear others people's ideas.

The reason I am asking is my water temps are going up in the 100 degree Tucson heat and I am working on all the suggestions for better cooling. I was not sure if having the fan on all the time was hurting my cooling or not. Trying to work through this issue.......but the a/c is awesome and so cold I have to turn it down or roll down the windows to warm up the car. So weird how well it works.
Porsche951toLS3
Porsche951toLS3

Back to top Go down

Air Conditioning A/C for LS3 SOLVED and COLD Empty Re: Air Conditioning A/C for LS3 SOLVED and COLD

Post  superman22x on Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:33 am

Are you wired into the LS computer at all for the AC? I wonder if you could use the LS cooling fan signal for your AC fan relay.

superman22x

Back to top Go down

Air Conditioning A/C for LS3 SOLVED and COLD Empty Air Conditioning A/C for LS3 SOLVED and COLD

Post  Porsche951toLS3 on Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:57 pm

I wired the cooling fan which is the only single fan I have to the heat sensor installed in the radiator.  It seemed logical and would come on well before the computer of the engine.  

I then wired the A/C to turn on the fan when the compressor was running which would be all the time in this heat.  Now I am rethinking if the fan is OK to run all the time or should I research into a different way to wire this setup.  I am looking for suggestions since I don't really know the correct answer.  

I will be looking into how everyone is wiring their fans and trying to understand the relationship of the fan running while traveling faster than 40 mph.  Maybe I am overthinking all of this.  Can the fan just run all the time when the a/c is on?  If so, I will leave it alone.  Happy to hear the wisdom of others.
Porsche951toLS3
Porsche951toLS3

Back to top Go down

Post  superman22x on Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:14 pm

Oh ok, I see how you did it. I think that is fine, I don't think you lose anything by having the fan run above 40mph. I am curious to hear from others. I am starting to look into this myself a bit, I was thinking of using a PWM controller for the fans, since I think one of the downsides with the LS swaps is the fans being able to keep up with the AC. My thought was having both fans kick on at once will improve that. I'd be curious how it works for you with only one fan running. I've been in Yuma mid summer, and not many modern AC systems can keep up there when the vehicle is sitting and idling anyway...

superman22x

Back to top Go down

Air Conditioning A/C for LS3 SOLVED and COLD Empty Controls

Post  Danny Humphreys on Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:37 pm

Are you using the factory AC control panel? Fan switch, temp, etc?

Danny Humphreys

Back to top Go down

Post  Porsche951toLS3 on Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:55 pm

Danny Humphreys wrote:Are you using the factory AC control panel? Fan switch, temp, etc?

Yes, I am using the factory AC control wire for the original compressor found on the driver's side inside fender area.  This is the wire that I use to power the relay that grounds the Fan (grounds the relay to the fan) to turn on.  This way when the factory AC is activating the compressor wire, it is now activating my single 16" radiator fan to turn on.  

In my pictures you will see a green colored pressure switch that is NOT used since I had that part of the port remade to be the high side port.  The pictures tell a better story.  That green pressure switch was supposed to be used to turn on the factory fan plug which I no longer use.  I suppose if you have the original radiator fans, you could continue to use this pressure switch to turn on your fan(s).  

In short, everything is handled by the factory control panel minus the fan switch which I wired differently.  These are all just ideas that worked for my car.
Porsche951toLS3
Porsche951toLS3

Back to top Go down

Air Conditioning A/C for LS3 SOLVED and COLD Empty Condenser

Post  knucklehead12 on Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:24 am

What condenser did you use? Looks like the universal one I have been looking at on eBay.

knucklehead12

Back to top Go down

Post  Porsche951toLS3 on Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:02 pm

knucklehead12 wrote:What condenser did you use?  Looks like the universal one I have been looking at on eBay.

It is approx 12"x20" and universal. It has strips of metal on the sides with predrilled holes. I mounted this by taking the original Porsche 951 condenser and cutting off the side metal which was used to mount it. I then measured and bolted this metal to the universal condenser and it all mounted using the original mounts.

Additionally, this condenser's top fitting accepts the #8 hose fitting coming from the compressor and the lower fitting accepts the #6 hose fitting going to the drier. I got this from the guy who made my hoses and he stated it was a very efficient condenser so I went with it. There are those out there that have condensers that are cheaper, but were made for R12 where this is for R134 and works much better. If you are building an R134 system, might as well make all of it R134. The older R12 stuff all worked with R134 which I had on when the original Porsche motor was in there. It lasted about 3 years during the conversion, but what is on there now is extremely cold.
Porsche951toLS3
Porsche951toLS3

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down